AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not exactly HDTV but.....(been lurking here for awhile and decided to post)

DIRECTV Increases Number of Channels

Offering Dolby Digital

More Than 20 Channels Now Available in Dolby Digital 5.1

EL SEGUNDO, CA and SAN FRANCISCO, June 11, 2002 - DIRECTV, the nation's leading satellite television service provider, announced today that it now offers more than 20 channels in Dolby Digital 5.1. Recently adding Dolby Digital 5.1 to standard-definition and high-definition premium movie channels, DIRECTV presents 10 pay per view movie channels and a special event channel with Dolby Digital scheduled on an ad-hoc basis.

"By expanding our Dolby Digital-enabled channels, we continue to raise the bar in technological advancements that make DIRECTV the clear choice for consumers seeking a digital-quality programming experience," said Dave Baylor, executive vice president, DIRECTV, Inc. "Dolby Digital enables our customers to experience a true theatre-like atmosphere without leaving the comfort of their own homes."

The 11 premium channels that DIRECTV offers in Dolby Digital are Starz! East, Starz! West, SHOWTIME East, SHOWTIME West, SHOWTIME 2 East, SHOWTIME Showcase, SHOWTIME Extreme, SHOWTIME HDTV, HBO East, HBO West, and HBO HDTV. For each of these channels, DIRECTV delivers a Dolby Digital multichannel audio feed in addition to an MPEG two-channel (stereo) audio feed. HDNet, a sports and entertainment high-definition channel, provides a portion of its programming in Dolby Digital.

"As the number of Dolby Digital 5.1 home theater receivers in American homes continues to rapidly increase, viewer demand has made Dolby Digital 5.1 broadcasting capability a standard feature for high-quality multichannel television services, " said Tom Daily, Marketing director, Professional Audio, Dolby Laboratories. "DIRECTV brings its customers the same quality audio that DVD provides to meet the demands of discerning viewers."

Daily adds, "Being the first multichannel television service to offer Dolby Digital 5.1 and now boasting a tally of more than 20 Dolby Digital 5.1 audio-capable channels, DIRECTV has emerged as the multichannel audio leader for satellite television providers."

To receive DIRECTV® programming in Dolby Digital, customers must purchase a Dolby Digital-enabled DIRECTV® Receiver, which is available from authorized DIRECTV retailers nationwide.

More than 10 million U.S. households are equipped with Dolby Digital 5.1 home receivers and an estimated 3.8 million satellite set-top boxes are able to deliver a Dolby Digital 5.1 audio stream. As the number of Dolby 5.1-channel devices continues to rise, more networks are broadcasting in Dolby Digital 5.1 sound.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
That's always a good thing. Even some HD content can lose out to its SD DVD based cousin, even with the better video quality, if its weak in the audio department, because audio plays such an important part in certain types of content.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I will say I have been impressed with the incresaing amount of DD DirecTV has made available. There are channels that seem to have all of a sudden started broadcasting DD. So kudos to D* for that.

Now, Discovery HD perhaps??

·
Registered
130 Posts
The 11 premium channels listed and others with Dolby Digital audio have been available for some time from the main C-Band satellite feeds....Directv must have found extra bandwidth to re-broadcast it....

A 4DTV DSR922 C-Band satellite receiver will provide it along with it's other benefits...

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Hell, I'm just impressed that they actually acknowledged the existence of HBO & SHO HDTV...

·
Registered
28,193 Posts
Langston, my MAN! Welcome to the Forum!

Hopefully, you can use your position with the Observer to get some positive articles published on HDTV. Most of the stuff ending up in print is written by reporters who are so totally clueless about HDTV it's embarrassing. Then, guys on the Forum have to write their editors and complain, etc. What these clueless reporters end up doing is hurting the "Cause", 'cause folks read that negative stuff and conclude that a) there's no HDTV on, and b) it costs too much. Neither is accurate and the great unwashed need to know the truth. It's out there, and we need champions to get the word out!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi I've actually written a pretty large article on HDTV and tried to talk to some particulars like Marty Zanfino, who's in product development for Mits; Cuban; some MPAA folks, etc. I cannot repost it here for copyright concerns, but if you visit charlotte.com, I think you can still find it.

But I'll do what I can. I'm like a lot of you, i have an HDTV with analog connections (Mits 65907) and am wondering what is going to happen, and like you I want an HD PVR, which Tivo folks tell me can happen. They just need a partner to help make it happen. Cost, I'm told, would be in the $750 range. I'll try to dig up my notes later and share some stuff here.

·
Registered
28,193 Posts
Yeah, you know it's real simple for most of us HDTV early adopters...

1) We want more content. It's shameful that NBC has been dragging their feet, especially on their sports coverage (STILL no U.S. Open or NBA in HD - what's up with that?) And don't get us started on FOX...

2) We want our analog HDTV's to continue to display full-res HD broadcasts. There have been over 3 million of these sold now and someone needs to tell the studios and the MPAA that this is non-negotiable.

3)We need a timeshifting solution, either with a VCR that can record and play back everything and/or a TIVO-like PVR. And at a reasonable price, i.e. under $500. Especially now that there's enough HD content that they're starting to overlap, and so many of the HBO & Showtime movies are shown at inconvenient times. We're not thieves, we don't care about sharing movies or TV shows over the Internet, and we'll watch the commercials, especially if they're entertaining or interesting.

4) We need universal cable carriage and inexpensive tuners. Nothing will drive the growth of HDTV more than this.

That's not too much to ask, is it?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, not too much to ask. Here in Charlotte, though, we are lucky. Time Warner cable does offer an HD Box for a few bucks more than standard digital box, and major network affiliates and two independents all carry digital channels, and in most cases, HD feeds. I'm hoping our UPN affiliate will go digital, however, so I can see Enterprize in HD if it is offered.

I did find the links to the HD stories I did, however.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/3270312.htm

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/3270311.htm

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/3270310.htm

Bash away.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Bash away? No way. Any reporter doing H/DTV articles and registering on AVSForum and posting links to those articles deserves many pats on the back. Welcome to the Forum.

FWIW, I quickly scanned your articles. Well done. Thank you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
"Still no Hdnet in DD? Thats the one that matters. "

I have it on good authority that they will be up and running momentarily.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.