AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an 18" DirecTV dish with a dual LNB. I have the two cables plugged into a multiswitch so I can hook 4 receivers up to the one dish.

Now, I just got the new Triple LNB dish so I can get HDTV and local channels. This dish already has a multiswitch in it to hook up to 4 receivers. Can I still use my multiswitch so I could possibly hook up 6 receivers or is that not possible? I don't have 6 receivers (I currently have 4), but it would be nice to know the capability is there.

If it is possible, does it matter which 2 of the 4 cables coming from the dish go into the multiswitch?

·
Super Moderator
18,644 Posts
No, it doesn't matter, but the output of the 2-x-4 switch will only give you Sat A signals. All three sats will be available from the remaining two lines from the Phase III dish.

You'll need a 4X8 "cascadable" multiswitch to make all of the transponders available to all of the receivers.

Doc

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the same setup. Just got my 3lnb dish and have a multiswitch(3x4) I know I need a cascadable to get my HDTV to my HD ready T.V. but I currently only have 2 lines coming from my dish and don't want to run any other's. I have 2 lines going to both up and downstairs T.V's HD is down and TiVo is upstairs from my current multiswitch. I currently only have 1 working line to both sets because I need a cascadable multiswitch. But if I understand what I have read in other threads is that I need to run 4 lines into the 5x8 cascadable switch in order for it to work. is that correct? or is there a 2x4 cascadable switch? I want to be able to have 2 HD lines once the HD TiVo's come out but I don't need nor want to run 4 lines into my house then I wouldn't even need a multiswitch. Also I have a line going to my HDstb for my OTA Antenna

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Unless you install a cascadable multi-switch first or use satellite splitters you will not be able to use your existing multi-switch. It does not matter which cables you use for a SD dish but on a triple LNB dish ( High Def )you must connect both SAT A LNB outputs to the SAT A inputs on the multi-switch ( and they may not be together ) and both SAT C inputs together.

Once you cascade them in does matter. SAT A 18 must connect all the way through and SAT A 12 all the way through. Connect SAT A 18 to SAT C 18 or SAT A 12 and you will not have any signal.

Funkenstein

If you want high def you need a 5x4 or 5x8 multi-switch. There are 2x4 cascadable but they are for standard definition hookups. If you do not want to run the wire do without HD. HD is on a different satellite ( 119 and 110 ) from standard definition ( 101 ). When you change your high def satellite tuner it sends a 23KHz tone to the multi-switch and it knows then to switch to the 119 or 110 satellite. Without the extra two wires you cannot get these signals.

Alan

·
Registered
50 Posts
My question is do I need to run 4 lines into the multiswitch? because if I do I wont need to use a multiswitch because I will just barrel connect all my lines together and get rid of my current multiswitch(isn't being used right now) I need SD upstairs and HD downstairs. I guess if I was not clear before the way my setup is I have a 2 lines going from my multiswitch upstairs to my TiVo and 2 lines to my HDTV downstairs(TiVo was there) now since I cannot use my current switch I have just my 2 lines coming in each one barrel connected to 1 line up and 1 line down. Do I run 1 or 2 more lines for my TiVo and HD TiVo(when avail) or get a new Multiswitch I am trying to avoid running more lines? Sorry if this is repetitive but I am not a very knowledgeable on this stuff

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
You will need to run 4 lines from the satellite and you will need the multi-switch. For the reasons I explained above the switch needs to switch not only between the 101 polarities but also the 119 and 110. If you " barrel" the 110 and 119 feeds through to your IRD they will only receive the high def channels and none of the standard definition channels. The other IRDs will receive only the SD feeds and not the high def.

Once you have the additional lines run to a 5x4 or 5x8 multi switch you only need one wire per IRD. If you have Directivo or the new Dish PVR you will need 2 satellite feeds as there are two IRDs in these units. Keep in mind that many High Definition IRDs output high Definition or standard definition but not both at the same time ( The SONY HD-300 and one of the Samsung units are supposed to output both SD and High Def at the same time) so you may decide to have a SD IRD for your TIVO and a high Def to watch TV. This would necessitate 2 feeds. Count the number of IRDs you will have at a particular location and that is the number of feeds from the multi-switch you will need. You need the 4 wires from the LNB as inputs to the multi-switch but only 1 wire to an IRD. The multi-switch will switch between polarities and satellites.

Alan

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well I have not checked my dish but what I was told is with that built in multiswitch in the dish the 4 outputs carry all 3 sat's. As I stated above I have direct feed to my Direct TiVo(1 line) and to my Zenith sat520. I get SD&HD to my Zenith and SD to my TiVo. So I guess I'm not going to waste my $80 on a multiswitch and just run another line to my current MS and use that for my TiVo and then later run another line when HDTiVo comes out.

·
Super Moderator
18,644 Posts
Best thing to do until you need additional lines.

For clarification each line has ACCESS to all three satellites. The signals from all satellites are never combined on any one line at the same time. The most any one line can carry is half of the transponders on any one satellite. A combination of tone and voltage is how your receiver tells a multiswitch which set of transponders it needs at any given time.

Doc

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I am certain that I cannot express myself any more clearly or elegantly than Dr. Don has. Perhaps you should take out your ladder, Funkenstein,

climb up on your roof and " check " what is installed there. You would find that 1) there is no " built in multi-switch in the dish." Rather it is a separate 5x4 that comes with the dish and can be but does not have to be attached to the dish. Your satellite installer attached the multi-switch at the dish because it was easier for him to do so. But he has been paid and is long gone. You will have to deal or not deal with the situation as it is.

You have 2 wires in your home connected to two IRDs. Unless you climb up on the roof and install at least one more cable to that existing multi-switch you will not be able to add any addional IRDs. If you intend to add 2 IRDs you will need 2 additional cables. No matter how you slice it you will need additonal cables brought into your home if you wish to add additional IRDs. Whether you need an other multi-switch is beside the point. You have insufficeint wires in your home to add any IRDs at this time.

Alan

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
For the sake of clarity, the majority of all new installs that require HDTV, paratodos or access to locals not present on the 101 satellite, will be with satellite dishes with 3 integrated LNBs with an integrated multiswitch. This 18x20 dish does not have a multswitch screwed on to the back of the dish, but it is buried in the head unit and allows access to all 3 satellites on 4 outputs.

Since the multiswitch is not removable, you will require a cascadable multiswitch if you need more than 4 Independently "tuneable" channels from the the new 3 LNB dish. Spaun, Eagle, and Terk have a product/s that allow this.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Don is correct, and is exactly what i went through to add a fifth (HDTV) tuner from a newly installed 3-LNB dish, which replaced my original 2-LNB dish and 2x4 m/s. I now have a 4x8 cascadable m/s being fed four RG6 cable runs from the new dish, and five runs of RG6 come off the 4x8 m/s.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I appreciate the correction but as funkenstein claims he will not exceed four IRDs so the cascadable multi-switch may be superfluous. But he will need to run at least 1 and possibly 2 cables into his home should he decide to install additional IRDs. And were he to exceed 4 then he would definitely need a cascadable multi-switch.

Thanks for the update.

Alan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can anyone tell me if there is a triple LNB dish that has a 5x4 or 5x8 integrated multi-switch? I would like to get a Tivo and 1 or 2 additional receivers. I have two cables running to each room. I understand that to use an OTA antenna for HDTV in the future, I need the 5 input multi-switch. None of the local retailers is clear as to what the triple LNB dish has as far as the multi-switch goes.

Mark

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Old dishes came with a 5 x4 multi-switch that was usually attached to the dish. I am told that it is now integrally attached to the LNB. In sum, with the triple LNB dish you will have the ability out of the box for 4 IRDs. You will need 4 wires from the dish to the IRDs

Alan

·
Super Moderator
18,644 Posts
Mark..

At the moment, the Phase III dishes don't allow for diplexing OTA signals. You'll either need a 5-by-X cascading multiswitch (one designed to be used downstream from another multiswitch) or use individual diplexers. For the best OTA signal (even though it's a PITA) you could always run separate lines.

Doc

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Unless he needs to mux in the OTA to all channels in the home, he can use a diplexer, IIRC, to add in the OTA signal after the integrated m/s and then another diplexer to demux the OTA back out at the STB location. This is exactly how it is shown on the documentation that came with my Zinwell m/s that got installed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You'll need a 4X8 "cascadable" multiswitch to make all of the transponders available to all of the receivers.

Is there a way to make 2 multiswitches (that were used to feed 6 receivers with a dual LNB )do the same thing as the cascadable for a triple LNB oval dish?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Since you guys seems so helpful...

I like the new Phase 3 lnb's / dishes...

I have the original style oval w/ 3 lnb's and the Sat C kit, 4x4 multiswitch on back and a bunch of fugly cabling.

Any reason for me to stay with the old tech?

Any probs/limitations with the Phase 3?

I understand the "cascadable" multiswitch issue with Phase 3, any drawbacks to that? (if I wanna go to 5x8).

Thanks,

PDS

·
Super Moderator
18,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jay koz
Is there a way to make 2 multiswitches (that were used to feed 6 receivers with a dual LNB )do the same thing as the cascadable for a triple LNB oval dish?
Nope. Not if you're talking about a pair of 2X4 switches. If you're talking about a 5X6, you can add tone injectors to the Sat B/C inputs.

If you hook two 2X4 switches to a Phase III, you'll have 8 Sat A only outputs. If that's what you WANT, then fine. But none of the outputs will have access to the Sat B/C signals since there's no way for the 22khz tone to get to the Phase III's multiswitch.

Doc

·
Registered
98 Posts
There is a bit of confusing posting here about hook-ups (anyway it has confused me).I am reading that you can hook-up 2 HD units to a triple LNB and get all three satellites, and then use a multiswitch (2X4) for the SD receivers (which typically produce only Sat 101). This can give you both HD and SD capability with one triple LNB and one multiswitch. I'm assuming that it doesn't matter which outputs you use from the satellite.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.