AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im purchasing a new home and already posted about 1 peice of the new system im going to build there. This question is about my considering going satellite for the first time. Up till now ive had TWNYC digital cable, was..OK. I dont yet have an HDTV, that will be the cherry on top once ive finished the rest of the system (mostly because i dont think they are quite up to where they ought to be yet)

Question now is, in looking around at Satellite providers and hardware, i was....disappointed and confused as hell. Seems there are a plethora of hardware you can use with DirecTV, which "seems" after a few days of hard research to be the inferior and more costly service. Whereas DISHnetwork/DigitalTV seems to have better service at a pretty dam impressive price (69.95 for all channels, with 2 receivers free, excluding the HDTV receiver which ill "prob" buy later.

How do you all think the 2 compare..? in overall service, as well as hardware available. And correct any misconceptions you may have seen. Mostly about there being no other hardware compatible with DISH network. Considering how much there is out there for DirecTV, im still shocked by that.

Appreciate any and all comments

PS: as 2 asides, 1) i cant beleive that none of the video recorders (not VCRs, TIVO and the like) can handle HDTV yet, and 2) when i called DISH earlier tonight to ask them some questions, they never mentioned anything about a second dish needed if/when i got the 6000 HDTV receiver to add to the 501 and 301 the plan im considering gives me.

------------------

Rama

"He who (BLEEPS) nuns, will later join the church " - Joe Strummer, The Clash

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
As a DirecTV to Dish switcher myself I can agree with you, the lack of hardware for Dish is a downside. The menu system on the 301 and 501 are getting close to the newer DirecTV receivers, but the 6000's menus look close to a first generation DirecTV's menus. You are correct, you need a 2nd dish to point to either 61.5 or 148 slots for Dish's HDTV programming. I don't want to start the old picture quality war, each system has it's points but I like Dish just a tad better.

One thing I like at Dish is the feeling of open communications. If you call their 800 number I've usually got to a person in less then a minute. Responses to e-mail usually look like someone actually read it and provided the correct canned if not personel response. Even the Charlie Chats, while they look like a high school TV class production, are nice to see, answers from the CEO on what's happening, you'd never see that at DirecTV.

You might want to also research the number of transponders that D* has vs. E*, last time I checked E* had more, aka ability to push out more programming. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
56 Posts
First off the 69.99 is w/o the $5.00 for the second receiver and the $5.00 for the locals channels. Total for 2 receivers and locals 79.99 month if you buy it.

If you are going to buy you want the 301,501,721,921 only.

Unless you want your HDTV now, then the 6000.

The reason Dish doesn't have a lot of receivers is they make there stuff. So they can control quality. Also better for software upgrades. If you get a tivo with your Directv you have to pay tivo, with Dish its free!

As for your recorder with HDTV in early 2002 the Dish 921 will have HDTV , two tuners , a 80 gig (or so) hard drive recorder and internet connections. Like ultimate TV with no 9.95 to tivo every month, but add a HDTV Tuner.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.