AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to decide whether to get a DirecTV/Tivo box or a Standalone Tivo box for my Home Theater.

I currently have DirecTV. My satellite box is a LG LSS3200A. It receives HD broadcasts over the air and I love it.

The issue is, I don't want to $1k right now to get the new Hughes HD/DirecTV/Tivo box. This leaves me with two options - neither of which are very good from what I understand.

1) I get a standalone Tivo (like the Humax T800 from Sam's @ $149 after rebate) and hook it up to my LSS3200A receiver.

Q: How well does this *really* work. Does anyone have any real world experience with this setup? Do I still use the guide in the LG or do I use the Tivo guide? Is it clunky?

or

2) Get a standard DirecTV/Tivo box and hook it up to my HT and video switch through my receiver when I want to watch a recorded program.

Q: I only have one Coax line going to my HT room. I've been told I'd either need to stack/destack the signal, or run more home runs from the dish. Is there any other way to split the signal and run it on one Coax? (Running more coax within the house is a problem since we just finished the basement and it would likely mean drywall damage and/or outside lines.)

This is an exceptional forum. I appreiate any/all input or suggestions you can give me. Thanks. --T

· Registered
3,433 Posts
Option 2 is the best because: 1. It's cheaper. DirecTivos are selling for $49, $79, $99 and depending on the deal you may be getting the 70 hr model. It will add $10/month to your bill ($5 Tivo fee/$5 mirror fee) as opposed to $12.95/month for the regular Tivo. 2. Dual tuners. You can record two shows while watching a third live in HD. Can't do that with a standard Tivo.

Quote:
I've been told I'd either need to stack/destack the signal, or run more home runs from the dish.
You can't stack a multi-sat dish on to one coax. You HAVE to run more coax. You will have to do it anyway when you upgrade to the HD DirecTivo. Go ahead and do it now.

Quote:
we just finished the basement and it would likely mean drywall damage
Probably the easiest of things to fix. Don't use those expensive ($10) patch kits. I use basic drywall mud that costs $4 bucket. It patched numerous holes over a year when my wife decided to move pictures or re-do curtain rods.

-Robert

· Registered
13,531 Posts
thouser,

Order the DirecTivo directly from DirecTV and they provide a free installation with all necessary cable runs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.