AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I need some help from the experts. Some friends of ours are getting a big motorhome from her workplace to take up to Ann Arbor for the Notre Dame/Michigan game next weekend (9-10-11). The unit from what I have been told is Directv "ready". My question is will my Directv receiver from the house work in the RV? Is it basically a "plug and play" situation? How can I determine what if anything I need to do? Thanks guys

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
If they have the dish (and some way of lining it up to the satellite - compass), and a power inverter and tv - don't see why it wouldn't work (obstructions / clouds permitting).

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I've seen this combo more times than I can count at UGA games in Athens. You should be fine, someone around you will probably have a good idea as how to point the SAT dish. They are common all over the south at tailgates...I'm sure the same up your way.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got back from taking a look at the RV. The satellite dish is one of the "in motion" type dishes that automatically lines up which is good. I am just not sure about the receiver communicating with the dish and such. I am going to take my receiver over there this weekend and test it out I was just curious if anyone knew anything about setup and such.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
You will most likely have to go into the menu and repeat the satellite setup process to get your receiver set up for the different style dish. When you say it is an in motion dish that automatically sets itself up do you mean it is one of the ones that look like a dome or saucer? Or does it look like a regular sat dish but on a rotating motorized platform?

Also we need to know what model of receiver you are planning to use, and what kind of setup you have at your home. Some receivers have a hard time switching from a SWM based setup to a standard multiswitch setup.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker /forum/post/20892874

You will most likely have to go into the menu and repeat the satellite setup process to get your receiver set up for the different style dish. When you say it is an in motion dish that automatically sets itself up do you mean it is one of the ones that look like a dome or saucer? Or does it look like a regular sat dish but on a rotating motorized platform?

Also we need to know what model of receiver you are planning to use, and what kind of setup you have at your home. Some receivers have a hard time switching from a SWM based setup to a standard multiswitch setup.

It is one of the dishes that looks like a dome/saucer. When I said it "sets itself up" what I meant to say was I was told that it auto aligns itself, does that sound right? My receiver is the H21 (I believe). The black HD box (No dvr).

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Those dome antennas can only get SD programming, just so you are aware.

As far as getting your H21 to work with it I'm not 100% sure how to do that. You might be better off asking this on DBSTalk.com (unless VeryOldSchool, or one of the other guys from over there see this post and answer here).

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont mind getting only SD programming I just want to make sure we get ESPN programming.....

Anyway to contact him or someone and lead them over here? Thanks for your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.