AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have cable HDTV and internet service. I would like to get more HD channels so I am thinking about getting DirecTV.

The cable company is the only source for high-speed internet so I would like to keep that when I get the DirecTV service. DirecTV does not offer local channels in my area, so I would be installing an outdoor antenna.

My question, currently I have one coaxial cable running into each room (this is being used by the cable tv and internet). Can I run either the DirecTV signal or OTA signal on the same cable as the internet? I am trying to eliminate running two additional coaxials to each of the rooms.

Am I looking at this right, or should I be considering a different set-up all together? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stisul /forum/post/15470910

I currently have cable HDTV and internet service. I would like to get more HD channels so I am thinking about getting DirecTV.

The cable company is the only source for high-speed internet so I would like to keep that when I get the DirecTV service. DirecTV does not offer local channels in my area, so I would be installing an outdoor antenna.

My question, currently I have one coaxial cable running into each room (this is being used by the cable tv and internet). Can I run either the DirecTV signal or OTA signal on the same cable as the internet? I am trying to eliminate running two additional coaxials to each of the rooms.

Am I looking at this right, or should I be considering a different set-up all together? Thanks for the help.

No they would have to run 2 cables just for the HD DVR or 1 for an HD receiver. There is a one line solution for a DVR available for some. I have cable internet and OTA and Directv.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Depends on what set up they give you. If they install the new SWM dish as they should be, you can diplex OTA or cable on the line but not both. Personally I'd run a separate line for the cable modem then let them tie the SWM enabled dish into your existing wiring.

The new SWM dish gives the ability to feed 8 tuners off of one line coming out of the dish and the line can be split where with the older dishes you need one line for each tuner back to the dish.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. So it looks like I just need to request the SWM dish for the install.

Is it now possible to use a diplexer with the HD service? I thought at one point it was not possible.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
If you want to diplex cable internet with DirecTV SWM, your best bet is to use an NAS STD-9501 diplexer. It has been engineered to pass the SWM 2.3 MHz upstream control signal onto the same port as the 950-1,800 SWM transponders, while only minimally attenuating the sub-band upstream internet signals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts