AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way at all that I can get an HTPC together for around $400?

Also I'd like to just pick up a used computer and ad the parts that I would need to it because I'm not into building from scratch.

Can I just pick up a machine with onboard video and disable that in order to add the right graphics card?

How much processing power, memory and which video card should I get?

Am I leaving anything out that I'll need?

Oh and what software should I get for it and where do I buy that?

Thanks

Walter

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Well, I am using a 650Mhz P3, an ATI Radeon 7000, a 6X Hitachi DVD, 4gig HD, 512MB ram, SBlive 5.1

and TheaterTek software. It runs perfectly.

I do plan to get an M-audio sound card, though. The SBlive does not handle the spdif too well.

So it can be done. I only use it to play DVD's, however. I think if you want to add HiDef and PVR capabilities, you'd need a more powerful machine. You can also pick up a fast Compaq, disable the built in video and slap in your own card. It will work Ok for basic DVD playback.

Marc

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Dell have a great deal for $400ish at the moment - have a look for the Dell Deal thread on the HTPC forum.

- Rick

·
Registered
423 Posts
But wait.... Here is another alternative:

First, don't get older generation used...

when you can get (almost) current generation good quality components for the same price.

Second, you said you are not into system building but... a simple build of an HTPC is really not that difficult and goes a long way towards the grounding you will need to load your HTCP programs, maintain your HTCP and upgrade when the time comes. Plus you can find GREAT deals AND get the BEST components for the price when you put together a system.

Here is a collection of components available that get you an to an Athlon XP system with half Gig of DDR memory, a Radeon Video Card, and a Great Case/Power Supply for around $420!

Check Pricewatch.com for deals on computer components

Motherboard and CPU

ECS K7S5A w/AMD XP-1600 1.4GHz SOCKET-A CPU & FAN COMBO

about $99.

Memory

512MB TRUE PC2100 512MB 266MHz DDR

about $45

Video Card

OEM Radeon 7500

about $50

Sound Card

Creative Labs

Maybe a Santa Cruz for a few dollars more

about $40.

Hard Drive

60 GB IBM Deathstar (Deskstar)

about $60

DVD-Rom

Quiet Toshiba SD-M1712

about $40

Case/PS

Highly Rated Antec Lanboy case (350 watt PS)

about $85

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
the only thing i would suggest is if possible go intel chipset...usually less headaches involved.and you could get a zoltrix or some other clone in the $20 range.

brickie

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
From that list I'd change to a sapphire radeon 9000 OEM ($60) and a seagate barracuda. Those IBM drives have a massive failure rate. Sblive 5.1 OEM is only $30 and the SPDIF for DD/DTS is flawless with the right drivers (3509). It's quite horrible for 44khz sources since it resamples to 48khz (pure evil and CL does it quick and dirty). The ECS board is very reliable, I use 3 of them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.