AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When viewing from nearly straight on, we can see what looks like dust/dirt on the outside edges (almost all the way up and down) of the screen. When viewing from an angle, say 30 degrees or more, it goes away(?). It won't wipe off so I know it's not on the outside :)

Anyway, it's on all channels/signals/sources (DirecTV, DVD) and is especially noticeable on a white background (hockey games are the worst). We've had this unit (HLN467W) for about three months.

Anyone else with a similar problem???

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I had my 467 for about 5 months before noticing this as well. Was watching a DVD and all the sudden I noticed it. Mine is on the left hand side and appears to be dust, dirt, or something like a "soda spray" from a shaken drink. It's definately inside the TV. Started to play with the TV, different channels, different inputs and it seemed to "go away". Put the DVD back in the drive and watched the same scene where I noticed it the first time and I couldn't see it. It's probably still there, but I either can't see it or haven't stumbled across anything that will show the problem. If I knew how to remove the screen, I would clean the inside of the screen and maybe the mirror. If you can always see the problem, maybe Samsung will send someone out to clean it.

And on a related note.... 6 months in and I'm starting to see rainbows. :(

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
You have smudges. Do they go away after about 30 minutes? I have found that using a hair dryer on "low" will make them go away almost immediately, as does light pressure on the screen where they are.

Not sure what's causing them yet, but it's not dirt on the inside or outside of the screen. Once the set warms up they go away, which rules out anything physically on the screen.

Do they look like the attached picture?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jfischer Do they look like the attached picture? [/b]
Yes they do. I guess if they go away when the set warms up, that explains why I haven't seen them again.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Quote:
Once the set warms up they go away, which rules out anything physically on the screen.
It sounds to me it's related to cold temperatures. Did you notice this in a summer weather?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I've only had the set since October, so the answer is no. I've tried cranking up the heat in the house, but the smudges are still there for the first 30 minutes or so each day. Since the increase in heat didn't help, I put it back to my normal frigid 66 degrees :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Do they go away after about 30 minutes?
No. I've had the TV on for hours and can still see them.
Quote:
Do they look like the attached picture?
Yup, that's EXACTLY what they look like! So I have "smudges" ... Hmmm. I've only had my set since October as well ... The room we have the TV in is subject to a 5-10 degree swing in temperature ... primarily because the TV cabinet is just a couple of feet from a gas fireplace (which we use almost continuously while we're home ... MN winters ya know).
See attached pic.

So is this some sort of temperature related thing or does a technician need to come out and clean things (like the mirror or whatever as was suggested in an earlier post)?

"Smudged and confused".

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew67

And on a related note.... 6 months in and I'm starting to see rainbows. :(
I thought the line was, "I see dead people." :D Seriously, I am very sorry to hear. That was one big fear I had when deciding.

YMMV

·
Registered
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by frankmrt
It sounds to me it's related to cold temperatures. Did you notice this in a summer weather?
I've got a 467 with the same thing, I doubt it's got anything to do with cold temperatures since the house is about 70 degrees regardless of the outside temperature.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
And on a related note.... 6 months in and I'm starting to see rainbows.
Fortunately, neither my wife or I have seen rainbows ... Don't even know what they look like really (no need to explain!).

However, we do see vertical color bars(?) when there's a solid color on the screen (red/green/blue). This only occurs with DirecTV and is most prominent with animated content (Clifford the Big Red Dog, etc.) ... My DVD player hooked up with component video is picture perfect.

I think this problem is related to the receiver, a Samsung SIR-S300W, which was the freebee that came with the free DirecTV install deal. I know, get an HD receiver and all will be well ... but I can't afford it . :(

So much technology, so little time/$$$ to enjoy it.

:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this problem as well on a 467. It appears as if something was sprayed on and then dripped down the inside of the set in the upper left-hand corner. I had a tech come out from my dealer and he ran a test signal through the set. With both white and yellow banding in the the signal he used you could see it plain as day. It will not go away with heating up of the set. There is something physically on the screen on the inside. The tech thought it look like dust or dirt had gotten in there when the set was assembled at the factory. I wonder if the fan is sucking dust into the unit? Anyways, the dealer is going to replace the screen. I'm still waiting on it right now since theses sets seem to be in high demand, but I will update all when the service is complete.

If you have this problem be sure to have a tech run a test band signal through your set. With moving pictures it appears that the problem goes away but it is still there. You will see it more clearly if you have a constant test pattern.

Shizal

·
Registered
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Footer
Fortunately, neither my wife or I have seen rainbows ... Don't even know what they look like really (no need to explain!).

However, we do see vertical color bars(?) when there's a solid color on the screen (red/green/blue).
Um, are these color bars fleeting or constant?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have been through this smudges dilemma with my 467. I also happen to live in MN. My thought is smudges are related to temp change. Brought set in Aug and did not notice problem until room temp in the 60's. I called in for warranty service and approval was given to replace the screen. Problem is no service tech in rural MN has ever seen or maybe heard of this tech/TV. The guy who replaces the screen does need to know what he is doing. He came and spent 5 hours last week and left my TV unwatchable with the benzel bent/separated in corners.

The good news is - I must say Samsung has been great and they immediately approved return authorization for full refund/replacement. I replaced my old screen myself this weekend and I'm back to square one / after an hour and the smudges clear.

I am waiting now for the 507 on back order / Ultimate Electronics agreed to exchange for the $200 difference in list cost. Much hassle factor but I have had 6 months with my TV and will now receive a larger model with latest updated firmware.

Concern still exists because I have read in other threads smudges also can happen with the 507.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I've got a 5065 with smudges, but I've also had a 437, and a 467 too. They all had smudges :(

FWIW, the 5065 has the least-noticeable smudges of the 3. I can attest that having a new light engine put in does nothing for the smudges - it's a problem in the screen itself.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I purchased my HLN437 in Dec, and although I am completely satisfied with the set, I too also have the smuges. It is both the right and left and side of the screen, and only appears occasionally, and then goes away after about 45mins - 1 hour with the set on. They don't ALWAYS appear; I haven't noticed any particular situation when they do. Also, the smudge on the left seems not to show up any more.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Um, are these color bars fleeting or constant?
The vertical color bars are fleeting(?). They sort of move and shimmy from side to side, the full height of the screen. As I mentioned in a previous post, this is only visible with solid colors (red/green/blue). Red seems to be the worst and animated content seems to show it the most. Also, as mentioned previously, DVD content does not seem to show this problem (hooked up via component video).

I'm very curious what this is and if anyone else has experienced it. My thought is it's my freebee receiver from DirecTV (Samsung SIR-S300W) but until I try a different one, I won't know for sure.

I'm getting more and more nervous about the "smudge" thing the longer this discussion goes on ...

:(

·
Registered
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Footer
Attached is a pretty good picture of the vertical bars on my Sammy (notice the red/pink color in the upper left corner).
Okay, those aren't rainbows, but they aren't normal either - at least I don't see anything like that on my HLN437. I agree with your original assessment that it is in the source.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have had a 467 since early November. Noticed the smudges after about two weeks. I thought it was temperature related because the weather got colder about the same time. Based on a couple other related threads, I tried rubbing the screen with a soft cloth, and the smudges would disappear. I am quite certain that it is debris/liquid in-between the screen assembly due to a manufacturing defect. I called Samsung service and finally after two months of going back and forth, they sent out a guy to replace the lens assembly. The smudges are still there, and now my geometry and focus is messed up (3 inch black border at bottom, 3 inches of content gone at the top!) . Samsung now wants to send the same techs back to clean the screen. I think it will only make it worse, and I want my screen replaced. I hope it gets fixed before the Super Bowl! :-

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.