AVS Forum banner

Dirty disk and horizontal line?

216 Views 0 Replies 1 Participant Last post by  Platfinger
I bought a new LCD TV (Samsung LN-S4692D) and a Panny DVDS52S, and had a strange issue while playing a DVD. I was watching Flight Plan and several times during the movie a horizontal line would appear for a few seconds anywhere from dead center on the screen to about 1/3 the way from bottom. It was almost like the image above and below the line were *slightly* out of sync. The line would also sometimes move slowly up the screen (again, it normally only lasted a few seconds). I could replay the same scene, and the line was still there in exactly same place so that pretty much ruled out ground loop (which is what I assumed it was at first based on what I found in this forum).

I played the same DVD in another very old Sony DVD player, and a very old tube type Sony TV, and no lines ever.

Well, I did find out the cause of the problem - a smudge on the DVD. After I cleaned the DVD, the lines were completely gone on my new set.

So my question is this: Are the newer DVD players more sensitive to dirty disks or what?
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.