AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of the HD content I get comes in 4:3 mode for some reason so I was wondering about disabling jump in the service menu of my 36hs500.

1) Could someone comment if they have done so? specifically,

2) Can you activate the 16:9 squeeze in the service menu if you disable jump so that you can still squeeze the 16:9 hd material?

3) Does it throw off geometry to mess with this?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,480 Posts
FWIW, there are several links re JUMP in Post #1 of eth Computer Input link in my signature.
Quote:
2) Can you activate the 16:9 squeeze in the service menu if you disable jump so that you can still squeeze the 16:9 hd material?
JUMP turns the squeeze on and off (for 720p/1080i HD content only).

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can I still squeeze HD content using the 16x9 feature in the user menu if I disable jump?

·
Registered
10,480 Posts
JUMP is the service menu item which enables or disables the 16X9 squeeze. I believe when JUMP=1, 720p/1080i is displayed in a 16:9 letterbox on a 4:3 XBR. And when JUMP=0, 720p/1080i should be vertically expanded or uncompressed (whatever terminology you prefer) to fill the whole screen.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ADU
JUMP is the service menu item which enables or disables the 16X9 squeeze. I believe when JUMP=1, 720p/1080i is displayed in a 16:9 letterbox on a 4:3 XBR. And when JUMP=0, 720p/1080i should be vertically expanded or uncompressed (whatever terminology you prefer) to fill the whole screen.

I think the question is that if Jump=0, can the regular menu be used to enable 16:9 compression without having to go back into the service menu?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that is my question. sorry if i am not very good at explaining myself

·
Registered
10,480 Posts
If your HDTV receiver allows you to switch between 480p, 720p and 1080i, then perhaps you could use it (the receiver) to switch between 4:3 fullscreen and 16:9 letterbox by changing its output from 480p to 1080i, and leave JUMP alone.

Or maybe your receiver isn't set right to begin with? I think when most receivers are in Auto mode, they can detect whether the signal is 480p or 1080i and switch their output automatically. Could that be the problem?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.