AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all -

I purchased a Pioneer 7.1 receiver (Elite VSX-32, sorry can't post URLS yet) a few months ago when it first went on sale. I have had a set of Onkyo 7.1 speakers that I bought last year on "Black Friday" (couldn't find the exact model, roughly equivalent to a SKS-HT750).

Since connecting everything, the sound seems fairly weak, even for the medium size room it is in (12x14). Also, the sound seems to cut out of the right surround back and right surround speakers when watching certain TV channels. All in all, I haven't been too happy with the overall setup.

Money isn't much of a concern for me in this situation, as I will be in this home for at least a few years and want a true quality setup.

Supposing I was willing to spend up to $2000 to make sure I have a true quality midrange system for my home, what would you folks recommend?

I am open to going to a good 5.1 system if you think that would be a better choice for the size room I have.

Inputs are a blu-ray player, DVR box for television, and a couple of gaming consoles. I want to make sure that I can input my ipod library through a dock or cable into my receiver as well to play for parties and whatnot.

Thanks again people!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelf
Your receiver is great. Your speakers suck. 4 Infinity P162s, a PC350 and a $1k sub would kill.
Or two $500 subs.

On the used market you could likely manage paradigm studio 20's for fronts, some inexpensive rears, and a pair of subs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove
Or two $500 subs.

On the used market you could likely manage paradigm studio 20's for fronts, some inexpensive rears, and a pair of subs.
I am nervous about Used electronics in general though because I like the peace of mind knowing I can return a lemon if I buy new. However, I'm totally willing to consider it.

So I should mix and match buying individual speakers? Ebay a good place to start, or should I look in local ads like classifieds? Seriously, I'm fully willing to drop a lot of cash if I know i'm getting quality that will last me for years.

Thanks for the input so far guys.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Not recommended to mix and match the front three but rears and fronts aren't required to match, though consistency is nice. Many times a large front speaker in a range is matched to a smaller model in the same range for the rears.

If money isn't an issue, 3 Abbey 12As, a pair of Harper 8s and a couple of ED A7-900s will put you at the top of the audio food chain.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KandorDFW
I am nervous about Used electronics in general though because I like the peace of mind knowing I can return a lemon if I buy new. However, I'm totally willing to consider it.

So I should mix and match buying individual speakers? Ebay a good place to start, or should I look in local ads like classifieds? Seriously, I'm fully willing to drop a lot of cash if I know i'm getting quality that will last me for years.

Match three fronts. Try users with good feedback on audiogon.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Instance
Buy 4 Energy Rc-30 tower for $200 each from AudioAdvisor:

Then look for a RC-LCR on the web for $300 to $400.

Next add a sub. There are a lot of nice subwoofers to choose from for $800 or so:

Element Design A7s-450, A5-350

Epik Empire

Rythimik F15

Hsu sub VTF-3, VTF-15H

That's a killer 5.1 setup.
So for the size room I'm looking at, I don't need a 7.1 set at this time?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Quote:

I can certainly understand someone being nervous about buying anything used, especially electronics. I can only tell you from experience, I've bought so much stuff used and have had not one bad thing to report. Ebay is pretty good but I don't think its as good a place to buy as it was years ago. Craigslist is great. Yeah, the website is kinda jenky and ghetto, and everyone has heard the news stories. But really, its just normal people selling and buying stuff. I just picked up a bunch of Paradigm stuff from an old dude who was cool as hell, and it was obvious he took great care of everything he owned. The worst that happens is you'd check something out, be dissapointed, and leave. And thats never ever happened to me. Via phone/email, I feel the seller out, ask questions, make arrangements and I've been pleased every time. Also, its far from junk. Just this past week in Cincinnati, there were 2 different sellers trying to unload some Paradigm Studio 100s...mint condition and for a pretty serious price break.

Thats even better that you have a tidy budget...say you want to spend $1,000, if you buy used, you'll essentially have streched your budget to $2,500 or more. That's been my experience and I'd reccommend it to anyone. Just takes more patience for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Quote:
So for the size room I'm looking at, I don't need a 7.1 set at this time?
If you want to go 7.1, add a pair of $300 RC-10 to the rear:
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...05/energy-rc10

A timber matched 7.1 Energy RC setup will beat anything in this price range. The RC line has been discontinued, so these are the liquidating prices. The stock is draining fast though, so be hurry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Instance
If you want to go 7.1, add a pair of $300 RC-10 to the rear:

A timber matched 7.1 Energy RC setup will beat anything in this price range. The RC line has been discontinued, so these are the liquidating prices. The stock is draining fast though, so be hurry.
I don't see many reviews of Energy speakers online. Anyone else have experience with these speakers?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Quote:
I don't see many reviews of Energy speakers online. Anyone else have experience with these speakers?
Sound stage RC-70 review (the bigger brother of RC-30):
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/energy_rc70.htm

RC-10 review (little brother of RC-30):
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/energy_rc10.htm

Goodsound review of RC-mini (little "sister" of RC-30):
http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/e...rcmini_s83.htm

Ultimate AV mag RC system review:
http://www.ultimateavmag.com/speakersystems/306energy/

·
Registered
2,684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KandorDFW /forum/post/19568174

So it sounds as though the consensus is that quality used Paradigm Studio's are what I should be looking for, as well as a very good sub.

That's what I did. They really are great speakers. The monitors are pretty nice too. One thing to watch for is dented tweeters. I've seen a few studios with dents in the tweeter and I make sure to stay away from them. Really if a speaker has been used for a few years and it still sounds good then you don't really have to worry about it being a lemon. Used is they way I will go from now on probably. I could never have afforded the setup I have now without buying used and looking for good deals.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'm admittedly an NHT fanboy, and I love recommending them as they are often overlooked. I'd highly recommend this system for your room:

Fronts: http://www.nhthifi.com/Three?sc=12&category=1210

Center: http://www.nhthifi.com/Two-C?sc=12&category=1210

Rears: http://www.nhthifi.com/Absolute-Zero...&category=1210

They have great subs, but you could probably get more "bang for the buck" elsewhere. Also, if bookshelf fronts aren't what you're looking for, their Absolute Towers are great!

EDIT: Just realized you were looking for 7.1 replacement. Doh! The NHT Absolute Zero 2.0s would be great for your rears and rearbacks - FWIW.

·
Registered
411 Posts
There's a dedicated "official Energy" thread here. It's a good moderate price brand, much like Paradigm, etc. I set up three plus a sub for my parents. I'm very happy with the sound. But that was a couple of models ago (C-3).

As usual, the problem with recommendations here is that every speaker has compromises. Thus they sound different, and people tend to prefer different ones. Most of us don't have a broad enough knowledge to recommend specific brands other than what we have. Those that do will need more information about your preferences. One reasonable approach is to listen to some and come back with your reactions. That will allow a more personalized listing of candidates, which you can then listen to.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KandorDFW /forum/post/19568009

Hello all -

I purchased a Pioneer 7.1 receiver (Elite VSX-32, sorry can't post URLS yet) a few months ago when it first went on sale. I have had a set of Onkyo 7.1 speakers that I bought last year on "Black Friday" (couldn't find the exact model, roughly equivalent to a SKS-HT750).

Since connecting everything, the sound seems fairly weak, even for the medium size room it is in (12x14). Also, the sound seems to cut out of the right surround back and right surround speakers when watching certain TV channels. All in all, I haven't been too happy with the overall setup.

Money isn't much of a concern for me in this situation, as I will be in this home for at least a few years and want a true quality setup.

Supposing I was willing to spend up to $2000 to make sure I have a true quality midrange system for my home, what would you folks recommend?

I am open to going to a good 5.1 system if you think that would be a better choice for the size room I have.

Inputs are a blu-ray player, DVR box for television, and a couple of gaming consoles. I want to make sure that I can input my ipod library through a dock or cable into my receiver as well to play for parties and whatnot.

Thanks again people!

Check out the BP-8040ST at Best Buy. Bring some CD's and have them play it for you. Make sure it's a Magnolia. I really like the new midrange drivers in Def Tech's setup. Also get a nice built in subwoofer, just don't turn up the sub past 1/2 way else it will power power the mids and high. Else if you wanted to rebuild your system slowly, try the BP-8060 towers then add the center and rears later down the road.

·
Registered
318 Posts
If you like neutral, clear and crisp sound (i.e not warm), have a look at Axiom Epic Grand Master 350 5.1 set. Also, PSB Image 5.1 set with the T5 towers is great bang for the bucks and should be under $2k. I have a pair of T5's - they're also neutral speakers that are very transparent. They throw big sound stage.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I would get either

Energy RC70 mains

Energy LCR centre

Energy RCR or RC10 surrounds

or

JBL L890

JBL LC1 or LC2 centre (depending on room)

JBL L820 or L810 surrounds

with a Rythmik F15HP or HSU VTF15H sub

I love building theoretical systems in my head!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts