AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very disappointed in Panasonic and their refusal to fix the LFE bug in the BD30. I am in my 30-day return window, and I am wondering if any of the new players from other brands shown at CES 2008 will be available by or near March? I don't want to spend more than $600 street. Thanks!

·
Registered
27,096 Posts
March? The short answer is 'No'. The Denon at $2K will do it, however.....

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Me, I'm waiting for the Panny 50... As far as the LFE thing is concerned, I have a question. I know that Dolby is quite strict on licensees keeping to their standard, so if the Panny 30 does not meet that standard (by passing the LFE 5dB too low), I'm surprised they aren't having a fit (I mean, if TrueHD is decoded to PCM...)....???

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/13010280

March? The short answer is 'No'. The Denon at $2K will do it, however.....

I'm aware of that
Actually even the cheaper Denon would work (once LFE is patched) but I would need it to give something more for the price, like Reon upscaling, profile 2.0, something. TBH though its a lot more expensive I feel you are getting more for your money with the Denon 3800 compared to the Denon 2500. 3800 is the first HD player to feature Realta IIRC. I might consider a $2k player but only if it gave me everything, which includes profile 2.0 support on top of everything the 3800 has now.

Guess I will have to just do without until May/June... Oh well. I'm also hoping the BD50 doesn't have the LFE issue like the above poster, but every Panasonic BD player has the LFE issue and it wasn't caught until Jan of this year - likely well after design of the BD50 was over and manufacturing had begun. So I'm doubtful.

Quote:
As far as the LFE thing is concerned, I have a question. I know that Dolby is quite strict on licensees keeping to their standard, so if the Panny 30 does not meet that standard (by passing the LFE 5dB too low), I'm surprised they aren't having a fit (I mean, if TrueHD is decoded to PCM...)....???

Well, the BD30 can only decode DD/DTS, not TrueHD. But Roger Dressler from Dolby was one of the first people who confirmed the LFE problem, and I'm sure he relayed the info to Panasonic. Still, Panasonic claims they are "within spec" hence they have "no responsibility to fix the LFE issue."

·
Registered
1,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined /forum/post/13011409

Well, the BD50 can only decode DD/DTS, not TrueHD. But Roger Dressler from Dolby was one of the first people who confirmed the LFE problem, and I'm sure he relayed the info to Panasonic. Still, Panasonic claims they are "within spec" hence they have "no responsibility to fix the LFE issue."

Do you mean BD30?

Because BD50 is supposed to decode all the formats.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts

Quote:
Still, Panasonic claims they are "within spec" hence they have "no responsibility to fix the LFE issue."

I would pay real money to hear how they justify that one. I mean, if 6dB represents a doubling of acoustic energy, then 5dB cold would mean the LFE is just over half of what it should be... and Panasonic says that is "in spec"...?!? I mean to go neutral this spring, and this thing may just fit the bill (unless they don't fix this... in which case I may look at the Pioneer)...

Ruined, do you have a link to the interview where Panasonic made that claim?

·
Registered
490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 /forum/post/13012048

I would pay real money to hear how they justify that one. I mean, if 6dB represents a doubling of acoustic energy, then 5dB cold would mean the LFE is just over half of what it should be... and Panasonic says that is "in spec"...?!? I mean to go neutral this spring, and this thing may just fit the bill (unless they don't fix this... in which case I may look at the Pioneer)...

6db is QUADRUPLE. Every 3db is double. 10db is 10x. Logarithmic.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 /forum/post/13012048

Not an interview, it is the current line Panasonic Customer Support is giving people. You can look in the BD30 owners thread or call them yourself

·
Registered
2,087 Posts

Quote:
6db is QUADRUPLE. Every 3db is double.

I was referring to the SPL difference Lp that would result from doubling the sound pressure p1 (adding a second co-located sub, for example):

Lp = 10Log(p1^2/p2^2) dB

= 10Log[(p1/p2)^2] dB

= 20Log(p1/p2) dB

= 20Log (2p2/p2)

·
Registered
2,087 Posts

Quote:
Not an interview, it is the current line Panasonic Customer Support is giving people. You can look in the BD30 owners thread or call them yourself

Ugh,

Thanx, Ruined.

·
Registered
45 Posts
These guys have a pretty good list of all current, past, and future players.
http://www.blu-ray.com/players/

But I wouldn't even consider the BD-50 until they fixed the issue with their current BD-30 player, which I use right now. But from what I'm seeing on the forum, it is in the works. I'd also like to see how the other 1.1 players do when they are released. If they're cheaper, stable, and support all the audio formats, I might go that route.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i use bitstream, and from my understanding there are no issues with lfe when using bitstream. a fix is coming for the lfe issue (not 1.5).

picture and audio are great. got a $100 off the BD30 from BB when i purchased my plasma last week.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psssms /forum/post/13026542

i use bitstream, and from my understanding there are no issues with lfe when using bitstream.

Titles with LPCM track will ALWAYS have LFE bug over HDMI unless fixed.

Quote:
a fix is coming for the lfe issue (not 1.5)..

Not confirmed. Some CSR say no fix, there is no issue. Some say there is an issue but it can't be fixed. Some say the fix is coming and some incorrectly even said the 1.4 patch would fix issue (first week in Feb). At this point it is totally up in the air if the BD10 & BD30 will be fixed. It is also up in the air if the BD50 will be affected.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts