AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on upgrading the video portion of my HT(27" Trinitron) and I've been keeping a close eye on the lower priced projector market. It almost seems too good to be true to expect a pleasing picture that's 90+ in. for $3500-$5000. So last night I went to demo 2 DLP projectors at my local HiFi House. I brought my 5th Element and Sleepy Hollow dvd's to see how they could resolve these two very different pictures. The two projectors were the DreamVision DL500 and the Dwin TransVision. The 5th Element seemed fine. The color, contrast and brightness all were something I could live with (for the right price) given the overall size which was about 90" on a fixed 16:9 Greyhawk screen. But when I put in Sleepy Hollow, the shadow detail was horrible! All dark areas of any scene was just one black blob. This I could not live with. Given, this is a very dark movie but that's why I brought it in the first place and brings me to why I'm bothering you guys: Is this all I can expect from DLP technology in this price? I'm sure spending $10-15K will get me the shadow detail I want but I don't have that kind of cash. Am I asking for too much or did I demo the wrong projectors? Are the Infocus, NEC and Sanyo's better units? Can any of you point me to other projectors in my price range? Because I'm really beginning to think my dream of a "big" screen is just a dream and I'll have to try and get the best 65" HDTV I can find.

[This message has been edited by 3090 (edited 07-03-2001).]

·
Registered
402 Posts
With all due respect to Jon, the problem you noticed is a common one, but it's not with the projector. It's the showroom syndrome - everything from regular TVs to high end projectors are often 'calibrated' to catch your eye in a showroom, by looking bright and over-saturated. A good iput source (progressive scan dvd or HTPC) and a little time with AVIA or VE, and you'd be amazed at the differences.

------------------

----

Darren Rogers

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Unfortunately you have noticed the main problem with any digital projector. The lack of contrast and poor black details. Currently, the only solution is to look into a CRT projector. They are hard to set up, calibrate, weighs a ton and cannot really go with a real large screen, but the picture sure does look great. That's why I switched to a CRT.

·
Registered
733 Posts
O.K. my turn. You can get very good shadow detail etc. from a variety of DLPs. Here are some things to try - use a least a progressive scan DVD player (good scaler or HTPC would also be nice); make sure your screen is properly masked and the room is dark; freeze the picture during one of the dark scenes and calibrate the projector (you should be able to bring out a lot more detail); try a different screen (I am sure the Grayhawk is very good, but I am not sold on its use with DLPs) like a Da-Lite Hipower (I have had very good success with it). I have used my Toshiba 61 inch RPTV as a reference for testing shadow detail against my two DLP projectors and one projector in particular competes very well with it in this area and is better in all other areas. You might also want to use a progressive scan DVD player that has grey scale adjustments to bring out the detail you are looking for or a HTPC with the ATI Player. DLPs can do very well with blacks, contrast and shadow detail - you have to make the effort to get the most out of this technology. Many haven't experimented or pushed their projectors to the max and don't know what they are capable of!

And yes, CRTs excel with shadow detail - DLPs are catching up fast!

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
I've used both DLP and CRT projectors and used

them with both a progressive scan DVD player and with a

HTPC. After reading Grant's "CRT Racist" thread I'll refrain from offering an opinion here.

But I would like to ask 3090 a question. Have you totally

ruled out a CRT front projector as an option?

Bob Wood

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Yes. With all due respect.. 'catching up' has NOTHING to do with a purchase today. That's a future event, that has yet to take place, and it's passing is at the least.. indeterminate.

------------------

goosystems.com

Ken Hotte

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
The sleepy hollow movie is one of the darkest movies. It was even difficult to make out scenes with my Hitachi Ultravision.Sure most movies have some dark scnes in them...but don;t base your overall enjoyment on a small fraction of actaul footage. The size of the screen gives you an emersion level into the movie that I would rather have than perfect shadow detail.

Regards,

John Andrews

·
Registered
410 Posts
3090, if what you want is the absolute best in shadow detail on dark areas crt is the answer. Now if you can live with a very good black level then dlp can be good. The dark scenes are the weakest area of the digital projector so it is important that you calibrate it for the best possible shadow detail and, in my opinion, to get the cleanest dark area with no blotches or posterization you better use a HTPC and adjust the fine picture on the projector for the best sharpness and minimum ghost on the image. Dlps can be much better than many people thinks they are. Good luck! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Federico

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.