AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so very disappointed with my new Pioneer Kuro PDP-5080. And that's without having even fired the unit up yet. The bezel of the TV is nothing short of a disaster. And bear in mind we wore white cotton gloves at all times while handling the TV and really only handled it briefly at that. Bolted my mounting brackets to the back of the TV while it was still in the box, donned our gloves, removed protective covering from the TV, lifted TV from the box, and then hung it on my pedestal stand (Sanus PFFP2b ... sweet stand BTW !). Looks really killer from afar, stand and TV really "gel".


So, I turn on more lights so I can run my wiring and I notice what appears to be "dirty water stains" all over the bezel. Not just in an area or two, the entire bezel surrounding. And though it appears to come off, somewhat, when you clean it as directed with the included polishing cloth, it leaves a residue. Worse yet though, the bezel then appears slightly off-color in these areas if you look at it from the right viewing angle. Using a lightly moistened, hi-end microfiber towel, I tried cleaning one area a second time. Little to no improvement. Perhaps it's some sort of chemical "wash" residue from the manufacturing process ? And of course, the whole bezel is a sea of swirl marks. I know black is tough, had my share of black sports cars, but this seems almost like a factory "rework" as far as finish. But it gets better. The bottom left area of the bezel has a couple nicks around the button but the worst part is that it looks like someone took a Brillo pad to the bezel it is so scuffed up. We're still not done yet though. As I was getting up I noticed two spots on the screen that were definitely not finger smudges. Also some sort of residue. Wiped with the included cloth but there is still trace smudges/residue I can't get off. Kinda like polishing a car and you get a leftover "haze" ...


The packing on this TV had a beacoup of reminder flyers to handle with care to protect the finish. We heeded the warnings to a T (and beyond) and still end up with a problem. And so far I'm not getting a good feeling for their being willing to exchange this TV for the above reason. Am I being unreasonable in my expectations ?


Adding to the equation is it's not so simple for me to just pack it up and return it (if they even agree to accept return). It was a real hassle for me to get this thing picked up and installed. I don't own a vehicle that will hold it, and it definitely takes two people. (Note to Pioneer. This TV does not weigh a mere 77lbs. (bare) as per your spec ! ) Add in that Best Buy is 1.5 hrs. each way, and the only person I know with a vehicle to hold it is my brother, who had an additional hour to get to me. Top it off with the fact he's always "on call" for his job and coordinating a time when he can help me is no small feat. Point being, this is turning in to major inconvenience for me, and I definitely don't have the money to pay for delivery.



Not sure what to do at this point ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
779 Posts
I would call BB customer service and tell them you received a defective TV. They really shouldnt charge you a delivery fee for this type of an exchange.


Oh and by the way you dont have to repack it in the box to return it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Sorry, I don't think you are going to be happy with any tv that has the shiny black borders. I think what you are seeing is residue from the "protective plastic" that was on it. Marks on the panel itself are a different matter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, no Xanax. Didn't mean to be too anal about it, but it is so bad/beyond anything I've seen before. Looks worse than in-store displays that have been up for months and been beat on. And now in the daylight it shows even more plainly. I'm not normally one to complain about a couple scratches on something ...


Someone mentioned the residue may be from the protective film. May be a clue here. There was NO film anywhere. Still doesn't explain the heavy scuffing/scratches in the bottom left area though.


Now I wonder if BB sold me a used TV ? Or if their killer price was because they got a load of "seconds" at lower cost to them. Another puzzling thing was that the stand was already attached to the TV. Directions weren't clear as to whether this was the norm.


P.S. - No, I'm not a Panny fan. Nice TVs, yes, but they do not best the Pioneers from my viewpoint. Side by side, between Panny, Samsung, and the Pioneer, it was like night and day, Pioneer clearly the best, esp. in gradations of black. Watched the TVs while they were showing a nature show segment of a black caterpillar crawling on a green leaf. Took less than 30 seconds to make my choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f /forum/post/12915380


I would call BB customer service and tell them you received a defective TV. They really shouldnt charge you a delivery fee for this type of an exchange.


Oh and by the way you dont have to repack it in the box to return it.

Follow this advice and you will be fine. Get on the phone to BB and start Beechen ASAP!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
I had a similar experience as the OP. When I took the TV out of the box, there were all kinds of stains on the bezel that looked like large water splotches and other strange residues. The same splotches appeared on the back casing of the unit.


I chose not to immediately wipe it down because of the condensation that started forming all over the TV (I live in Chicago). After letting it warm to room temperature (3 hours), and nervously watching a great deal of water form all over the glass and casing, I noticed that all the watery splotches turned into dusty and dry-residue splotches. Unlike the OP, however, I was able to very gently wipe the residue off with the included silken-cloth. The bezel turned out shiny and fine.


Two questions/comments to the OP: 1) what is the build date of your item?; 2) did you say you "lifted" the tv out of the box? Perhaps it got damaged in that process as the styrofoam sheath rubbed on the bezel? I only ask because I lifted the box off of the TV as the box instructed, instead of the other way around. Then I removed the protective sheath before attempting to lift the item.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler /forum/post/12916406


Sorry, no Xanax. Didn't mean to be too anal about it, but it is so bad/beyond anything I've seen before. Looks worse than in-store displays that have been up for months and been beat on. And now in the daylight it shows even more plainly. I'm not normally one to complain about a couple scratches on something ...


Someone mentioned the residue may be from the protective film. May be a clue here. There was NO film anywhere. Still doesn't explain the heavy scuffing/scratches in the bottom left area though.


Now I wonder if BB sold me a used TV ? Or if their killer price was because they got a load of "seconds" at lower cost to them. Another puzzling thing was that the stand was already attached to the TV. Directions weren't clear as to whether this was the norm.


P.S. - No, I'm not a Panny fan. Nice TVs, yes, but they do not best the Pioneers from my viewpoint. Side by side, between Panny, Samsung, and the Pioneer, it was like night and day, Pioneer clearly the best, esp. in gradations of black. Watched the TVs while they were showing a nature show segment of a black caterpillar crawling on a green leaf. Took less than 30 seconds to make my choice.


From what you are saying you have a legitimate complaint.


If you are worried that it might be used there is a way to go into the service menu and check the time on the TV.


I got my 5010 over the weekend and the stand was already attached when BB delivered it. Not sure if Pioneer attached it or BB does it at the warehouse. I had the delivery person power up the TV before they left and he told me they check this in the BB warehouse before delivery.


They did get their fingerprints all over the bezel after unloading it but I was able to clean them with the cloth displayed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
over a period of 3 months i bought a 5070, returned it and got a 5080, returned IT and got a 6010


never seen anything even remotely close to this...sounds like you got sold a used TV or something. 3 of my friends now own kuro sets as well and theres have been pristine out of the box...


get in touch with bestbuy. theyll take literally anything back if its within their 30 day timeframe


oh and both the 5010 and 6010 come with the stand installed. the way to the 5080 ships if they tried to install it for you youd never get the whole thing back in the box
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,901 Posts
I seriously lolled at the Xanax comment.
Anyway, if it really does look worse than the store displays then you most likely got a carefully repacked return...which is exactly what you should do.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler /forum/post/12915149


I am so very disappointed with my new Pioneer Kuro PDP-5080. And that's without having even fired the unit up yet. The bezel of the TV is nothing short of a disaster.


Adding to the equation is it's not so simple for me to just pack it up and return it (if they even agree to accept return). It was a real hassle for me to get this thing picked up and installed. I don't own a vehicle that will hold it, and it definitely takes two people. (Note to Pioneer. This TV does not weigh a mere 77lbs. (bare) as per your spec ! ) Add in that Best Buy is 1.5 hrs. each way, and the only person I know with a vehicle to hold it is my brother, who had an additional hour to get to me. Top it off with the fact he's always "on call" for his job and coordinating a time when he can help me is no small feat. Point being, this is turning in to major inconvenience for me, and I definitely don't have the money to pay for delivery.


Not sure what to do at this point ...

Stains, swirl-marks, nicks, brillo-pad scuffing, dude Best Buy sold you a repackaged floor model or some previous customer's returned TV. New TVs do not arrive in this condition. This is completely unacceptable when you're paying for a top-tier Plasma or any other TV for that matter. There are other reports from members on this forum of Best Buy doing this crap, but they were able to have the TV exchanged for a new one.


You should contact the highest-ranking store manager and negotiate with him and see if he'll deliver a replacement TV and pick up the bad one. Sometimes if the manager is cool he'll do this for you even though you didn't pay to have them deliver the first TV. This is yet another reason why i always recommend people have the TV delivered (especially if you're far away and don't have a suitable vehicle) - you could have refused it as soon as they set it up and they would have brought a replacement at no charge. Even if you have to rent or borrow a truck, don't keep that junker TV - replace it. And if you do go back to the store to do the swap yourself, see if they'll power up the new TV before you leave and you can inspect it before accepting it. Sometimes they'll do that for you too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,022 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/12917427


Stains, swirl-marks, nicks, brillo-pad scuffing, dude Best Buy sold you a repackaged floor model or some previous customer's returned TV. New TVs do not arrive in this condition. This is completely unacceptable when you're paying for a top-tier Plasma or any other TV for that matter. There are other reports from members on this forum of Best Buy doing this crap, but they were able to have the TV exchanged for a new one.


You should contact the highest-ranking store manager and negotiate with him and see if he'll deliver a replacement TV and pick up the bad one. Sometimes if the manager is cool he'll do this for you even though you didn't pay to have them deliver the first TV. This is yet another reason why i always recommend people have the TV delivered (especially if you're far away and don't have a suitable vehicle) - you could have refused it as soon as they set it up and they would have brought a replacement at no charge. Even if you have to rent or borrow a truck, don't keep that junker TV - replace it. And if you do go back to the store to do the swap yourself, see if they'll power up the new TV before you leave and you can inspect it before accepting it. Sometimes they'll do that for you too.

I totally agree with you, I was looking for one of these units the last couple of weeks, I helped a friend setup his 5080 just a few days go, fit and finish where great. However after reading this thread I am worried because I am picking up a TV tomorrow, similar situation guy returned it because it was not quite big enough for his room. My best bet is to have my sales guy look it over before I pick it up, the bad thing about exchanging it most places are out of stock and not getting new 5080 in as these are transitioning out...


Also black auto wax works on this shinny plastic material very well....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,316 Posts
Both Kuros I've had came with the swirl looking marks, almost like water marks on the frame. Neither was abruptly moved outside the box which might have subjected it to quick temp changes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
My replacement display came today, and the bezel looks all scuffed and swirl marked on my set too. The set was real dusty also and the screen had small water spots on it which wiped off fine. After having issues with three sets now, I am not all that impressed with Pioneer's quality control. Oooh! but that picture...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone for all the replies, great Forum here.


I truly wonder if this is endemic to BB, the 5080 model only (since it's their low end TV), or perhaps a combination of both, ie. they got a "deal" on a boatload of them ?


First I am calling Pioneer to see if this TV was supposed to have protective film on the bezel and just to b!tch a little at them for their shoddy QC. Then I am going to try to get BB to deliver a replacement and haul off this one since it will take nearly a week again before I can get my brother and his van to haul it. I didn't go with delivery and setup because they wanted $250 and I didn't have the extra $'s.



P.S. - re: Removing the TV from the box. Yes, I did lift the top of the box off first. That's how I was able to first mount my brackets on the TV without having to lift it. Then took it straight from the box and "hung" it on the Sanus PFFP stand, that's all the handling I did. Great stand, highly recommend it.


P.S.P.S. - Anybody picking up one of these TVs at a store themselves, be warned. The box bottoms are not secure, the 2 tie straps are all that's keeping it together. Nearly lost the bottom out of mine ... REAL close call.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,022 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler /forum/post/12917684


Thanks everyone for all the replies, great Forum here.


I truly wonder if this is endemic to BB, the 5080 model only (since it's their low end TV), or perhaps a combination of both, ie. they got a "deal" on a boatload of them ?


First I am calling Pioneer to see if this TV was supposed to have protective film on the bezel and just to b!tch a little at them for their shoddy QC. Then I am going to try to get BB to deliver a replacement and haul off this one since it will take nearly a week again before I can get my brother and his van to haul it. I didn't go with delivery and setup because they wanted $250 and I didn't have the extra $'s.



P.S. - re: Removing the TV from the box. Yes, I did lift the top of the box off first. That's how I was able to first mount my brackets on the TV without having to lift it. Then took it straight from the box and "hung" it on the Sanus PFFP stand, that's all the handling I did. Great stand, highly recommend it.


P.S.P.S. - Anybody picking up one of these TVs at a store themselves, be warned. The box bottoms are not secure, the 2 tie straps are all that's keeping it together. Nearly lost the bottom out of mine ... REAL close call.

This is far from BB low end TV more like there high end line, they where closing out of this model, that is the main reason that dropped the price down to $2k... Now I would call them ASAP because this is a transition model and they will no longer be carrying them, because there switching over to the more expensive 1080p models. I set one up on Sat. for a buddy of mine and I was so impressed with the picture that I ordered one from a store to replace my XBR4 with I am not that happy with. My only problem is I don't end up in the same boat you you are because some one returned this but they stated it was in perfect shape, hopefully they looked at the damn thing....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f /forum/post/12916737


If you are worried that it might be used there is a way to go into the service menu and check the time on the TV.

.

The idea of getting a used plasma disguised in a new box and packaging is horrible and paranoia-causing. Is there anything short of checking the service menu to obtain conclusive evidence of prior use?
 
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Top