AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought the Samsung LN46B750 LCD about 3 weeks ago after reading it was one the best LCDs in the size range, and I have one week left to exchange it if I decide to. I love the picture quality on the TV, but the bad viewing angles just really bother me. The things I care about most are black levels and viewing angles, and while the Sammy does good after some tweaking directly in front of the TV, its still a bit less than I was expecting at any other angle.

I live at 4200 ft. and was wondering, would the Panny TC-P46G10 be better suited for me? Are there any issues with these sets at altitude? Is burn-in even a slight concern anymore? Does the Gaming Mode on the Panny disable most of the picture settings? Heck, are there ANY downsides to this plasma?

Help me out here guys.

·
Registered
32 Posts
As an owner of a Pioneer plasma, if you're two most important attributes are black-levels and viewing angle, I would definitely recommend a plasma. I'm not sure where you bought them, but do you have access to a show-room where you can compare the two? I can't speak for the altitude issue.

·
Registered
287 Posts
IMHO, plasma has deeper blacks, truer color, and are far superior for watching sports and fast moving events. Burn in is not a problem that it once was...and plasmas are as long lasting as the LCD's. Downside, Plasmas tend to weigh more and are less energy efficient and use more electricity.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz /forum/post/16920667

IMHO, plasma has deeper blacks, truer color, and are far superior for watching sports and fast moving events. Burn in is not a problem that it once was...and plasmas are as long lasting as the LCD's. Downside, Plasmas tend to weigh more and are less energy efficient and use more electricity.

All true. And, its really "reaching" when the only real negatives are related to energy consumption and weight. I mean, those two things dont even matter to most people.

Way back when I returned an LCD due to viewing angle problems. I often watch sporting events or films with friends and family, not by myself. I got a plasma and never looked back. You should do the same.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindman /forum/post/16920182

So I bought the Samsung LN46B750 LCD about 3 weeks ago after reading it was one the best LCDs in the size range, and I have one week left to exchange it if I decide to. I love the picture quality on the TV, but the bad viewing angles just really bother me. The things I care about most are black levels and viewing angles, and while the Sammy does good after some tweaking directly in front of the TV, its still a bit less than I was expecting at any other angle.

I live at 4200 ft. and was wondering, would the Panny TC-P46G10 be better suited for me? Are there any issues with these sets at altitude? Is burn-in even a slight concern anymore? Does the Gaming Mode on the Panny disable most of the picture settings? Heck, are there ANY downsides to this plasma?

The Panasonic plasmas are rated for use at up to 9,200 feet so that's not a problem. The viewing angle on the 46G10 (and any other plasma for that matter) is WAY better than even the best LCD TVs - it doesn't wash out at all even at extreme angles. Burn-in is no longer a problem and hasn't been for 2-3 years or more as they've gotten more resistant every year. I had my 42PZ700U tuned to KABC7 local news for a total of 4 hours every weekday for two years and their bright obnoxious station ID logo never caused burn-in. I also watch several hours of black-bar 4:3 programming and Speedchannel per week and the TV doesn't have any black bar burn-in either. And the current models are more resistant to burn-in than previous generations. Despite what the LCD camp keeps saying, burn-in is no longer an issue with the Panasonic plasmas.

·
Banned
1,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindman /forum/post/16920182

Help me out here guys.

A Panasonic plasma is going to outperform that LCD at 4200 ft, in a rain forest, on a soccer field, in outer space and anywhere else. You don't have to compromise poor axis viewing in the year 2009...buy the plasma.

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you don't want to tape a certain section off during gatherings plasma is the way to go. You don't want Grandma or the relatives wondering if there eyesight is depleting due to poor angle viewing. You also don't want 20 people sitting on one couch to get the sweet spot huddled together.
Panny is a damn good choice but I would test any set out first before a purchase so you don't have too many surprises. You may want to take into consideration lighting conditions for certain plasma brands, standard of excellence, features, primary usage, etc.

·
Banned
739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedking /forum/post/16921984

A Panasonic plasma is going to outperform that LCD at 4200 ft, in a rain forest, on a soccer field, in outer space and anywhere else. You don't have to compromise poor axis viewing in the year 2009...buy the plasma.

Plus the picture quality of a plasma display is simply incredible. take it from me. I was a HUGE LCD guy, then I bought 2 plasma's and I have never looked back.

·
Banned
1,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buylongterm /forum/post/16922020

Plus the picture quality of a plasma display is simply incredible. take it from me. I was a HUGE LCD guy, then I bought 2 plasma's and I have never looked back.

Yep...and I remember you were a big LCD guy too...thank goodness you saw the light..

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I don't know what you paid for your lcd, but doing a quick internet search shows that you could get a 54G10 for the same price you paid for that 46" lcd. Not only will the picture be much better but the screen will be 8" bigger as well. It's really a no brainer.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay guys, I was dead set on exchanging my LCD for plasma until I read about dithering on plasmas, which, to me, is probably worse than bad viewing angles because I usually sit about 5 feet away from the TV to game and have an eye for such things. Is this still an occurance on these 2009 G10s??

·
Registered
2,602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindman /forum/post/16933172

Okay guys, I was dead set on exchanging my LCD for plasma until I read about dithering on plasmas, which, to me, is probably worse than bad viewing angles because I usually sit about 5 feet away from the TV to game and have an eye for such things. Is this still an occurance on these 2009 G10s??

Alot of things you can't test in a showroom but that is probably the one thing you can. Measure off your intended distance at home, go to a showroom and measure off the same distance and see for yourself. I would gather to say it shouldn't be a problem but only you can answer that. I sit maybe a 6 feet from my PRO 111FD and honestly I don't notice it at all. Especially when gaming as I'm using trying to stay alive, win or whatever that particular game calls for. Just got finished playing some Fight Night Round 4 and the last thing on my mind was dithering.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindman /forum/post/16933172

" Dithering is the attempt by a computer program to approximate a color from a mixture of other colors when the required color is not available]Dithering is the attempt by a computer program to approximate a color from a mixture of other colors when the required color is not available ."

The TC-P46G10 supports 6,144 shades of gradation. If you sit at a normal distance from any current PDP (e.g. 8 feet or more) dithering should not be a problem.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership /forum/post/16933308

Alot of things you can't test in a showroom but that is probably the one thing you can. Measure off your intended distance at home, go to a showroom and measure off the same distance and see for yourself. I would gather to say it shouldn't be a problem but only you can answer that. I sit maybe a 6 feet from my PRO 111FD and honestly I don't notice it at all. Especially when gaming as I'm using trying to stay alive, win or whatever that particular game calls for. Just got finished playing some Fight Night Round 4 and the last thing on my mind was dithering.

Engligh language translation:

Dithering is there, but I spent so much for my monitor that I have convinced myself that I can ignore it and therefore is ceases to exist.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
It should be noted that due to the panels Samsung is using this year viewing angles are actually poorer than previous models.

However if viewing angles are your #1 concern then go plasma, but go for a Samsung. B650 would be a nice place to start looking.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu /forum/post/16933579

Engligh language translation:

Dithering is there, but I spent so much for my monitor that I have convinced myself that I can ignore it and therefore is ceases to exist.

It's not cool to put words in other people's mouths.

I won't equivocate. Let me make my view crystal clear:

I sit 6-7 ft from my Pro-111FD and watch a mix of OTA HD (the Today show is on behind me as I type), and Blu-ray titles. Not only do I not SEE dithering - there IS NO dithering.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] /forum/post/16933747

It's not cool to put words in other people's mouths.

I won't equivocate. Let me make my view crystal clear:

I sit 6-7 ft from my Pro-111FD and watch a mix of OTA HD (the Today show is on behind me as I type), and Blu-ray titles. Not only do I not SEE dithering - there IS NO dithering.

Very interesting. Let's get some more opinions here. Has anyone actually SEEN dithering AT ALL on this set?? I will definitely be going to BB to get a look for myself, but the more insight, the better.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindman /forum/post/16934605

Very interesting. Let's get some more opinions here. Has anyone actually SEEN dithering AT ALL on this set?? I will definitely be going to BB to get a look for myself, but the more insight, the better.

Keep in mind, you just changed what I said. Don't know if you meant to or not. I didn't say at all distances. I said from the distance from which I view this set.

I've not put my nose on the screen yet in a hunt for dithering.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] /forum/post/16934655

Keep in mind, you just changed what I said. Don't know if you meant to or not. I didn't say at all distances. I said from the distance from which I view this set.

I've not put my nose on the screen yet in a hunt for dithering.

Hahaha, well I don't think anyone here has actually confirmed the presence of dithering in this thread. That's what I am looking for, someone who has sat close and seen it and can confirm/deny it, but I appreciate your info regardless!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts