AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local shop in St. Louis has the HS20 set up with component input. 80" wide Greyhawk screen. Sat 1.5 screen widths back. Also got to see some hi-def material. DVD image was quite disappointing. Picture not quite sharp--like looking through guaze; I suppose this is the dreaded SDE. Faces had sort of pasty quality. Also noted color fringing (blue or purple) around white objects--very noticeable around text but also around white jerseys on hi-def hockey. Sorry if the descriptions are vague. A friend who has a DLP home theater was along and noticed all of this as well. The salesman said this was expected for a fixed panel device and that the picture looked great for the money. After all of the great reviews here I was expecting something that rivalled (?sp?) good quality DLP but this wasn't even close. Does it sound as if this was not set up properly or possibly a bad unit? I have a Bravo D1--would it be worth bringing it in to the store to see if the problems resolve with DVI? Opinions from those who know this unit would be appreciated. I was looking forward to being blown away.

Thanks in advance, Jim

·
Registered
80 Posts
It doesnt sound right , my demo was amazing , crystal clear , like a regular tv. In my opinion the hs20 had an equal picture to the $10,000 dlp that i also demoed.So i bought the hs20 and even on a crappy white wall with the lights on it was great. I think he probably didnt have it set up and tweaked properly.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Bad demo. Sounds like they used S-Video in. That dreaded SDE isn't happening if you are 1.3x from the screen, again unless SVideo is used.

Yes take in your DVI player if possible. Even though I also saw a BAD HS20 demo as well, I know it would be similar to a Z2 when setup correctly. I have access to a DLP theater down the street I know each can hold their own against each other.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jmg1949
Local shop in St. Louis has the HS20 set up with component input. 80" wide Greyhawk screen. Sat 1.5 screen widths back. Also got to see some hi-def material. DVD image was quite disappointing. Picture not quite sharp--like looking through guaze; I suppose this is the dreaded SDE. Faces had sort of pasty quality. Also noted color fringing (blue or purple) around white objects--very noticeable around text but also around white jerseys on hi-def hockey. Sorry if the descriptions are vague. A friend who has a DLP home theater was along and noticed all of this as well. The salesman said this was expected for a fixed panel device and that the picture looked great for the money. After all of the great reviews here I was expecting something that rivalled (?sp?) good quality DLP but this wasn't even close. Does it sound as if this was not set up properly or possibly a bad unit? I have a Bravo D1--would it be worth bringing it in to the store to see if the problems resolve with DVI? Opinions from those who know this unit would be appreciated. I was looking forward to being blown away.

Thanks in advance, Jim
A recent poll in this forum shows that there are a small percentage of units with panel mis-alignment issues. Not being able to focus well and color-fringing are signs of alignment problems. The fact that the salesman said this was expected shows they aren't up-to-date with this problem and the capability of the HS20. Otherwise, they would have ordered a replacement and/or put a different unit out.

I think your only chance of seeing what this unit is capable of is to see a different unit. If you want to find out and/or convince the store that the unit is mis-aligned, go back to the store. Ask them to press the focus button. (Make sure the focus grid is active since it can also be set off).

With the focus grid up, you will see white hash-marks. If those hash marks have green/red fringing, there is some mis-alignment. Minor mis-aligment will only appear on one side. Major mis-alignment will appear on all/most hash-marks across the screen. If the fringing appears to be more than 1 pixel off either direction and/or is not just on one side, this is sufficient to cause the issues you're seeing.

If you find this to be true, try and talk them into sending their demo in for repair and showing you a better unit. Or, try to find another demo in town.

Finally, some people think that flesh-tones don't look right on a gray screen when they see one for the first time. Some people never like a grey screen. It's purpose is to help deepen the picture in a brighter environment.

gp

·
Registered
275 Posts
Definitely sounds like a misaligned panel problem. On my HS20 I have slightly less than a pixel misaligned and fringing is not noticeable from x1.5 distance from screen.

Comparing a good DLP to HS20, the HS20 will look a bit foggy especially during dark scenes. Shadow detail will lack as well compared to DLP.

I would recommend to demo movies in cinema mode with a slight increase of contrast and gamma.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This was definitely a bad demo. I have an HS20 and I'm very pleased with the picture. I have not changed any of the settings. See if they are using the original settings? If not see if they will set it to the original settings. In my experiences of seeing demos, it seems someone is allways messing with the settings. I have seen the Sharp XVZ-9000 which looks really good to me and the HS20 is comparable if not better IMO.

·
Registered
353 Posts
hey jmg1949..Did they have anything else to demo, that also looked bad?That might give you a clue as to whether they knew what they were doing or not...

·
Wireless member
27,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jmg1949
They had a $17,000 Runco in their high end room that looked terrific.

Jim
A cynic might speculate that they needed to make the Sony look only 20% as good as the Runco in order to sell the Runco.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Check the other posts regarding this projector.

My experience (demo) of the projector was very positive (for the price point).

The pixel alignment for me is not acceptable. My reference is a 47" Panasonic RPTV and a 68" Mitsubishi RPTV. The Panasonic actual selling price is half of the H20 and the Mitubishi is a little higher. Bothe pictures are perfect though.

I (we) could wade through box after box, to sort out the poorly aligned LCD panels. This is Sonys quality control job!

Martin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.