AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night severe thunderstorms rolled through Washington, DC. A house only three doors down from mine was struck by lightning, setting it afire.

Though my house was not directly hit, there was an electrical surge through the phone lines that fried the base unit on my Siemens phone system, as well as my fax machine and (sniff!) my TiVo. In other words, anything physically connected to a phone line was voltaically toasted. (Thank GOD my RCA DTC-100 and DISH 6000 weren't connected to phone lines. And for some strange reason, the DSL router wasn't affected even though it WAS connected to a phone line--I'm using it right now.)

Although all of my expen$ive electronics are protected by electrical surge suppressors (all of which did their job), I neglected to protect the phone lines. As a result, I am now on my way to Staples to buy a new fax machine and $300 base for my phone--PLUS phone line surge suppressors!

Learn from my expen$ive experience: protect your beloved home theater toys for both power AND telephonic electrical surges.

------------------

Scott Gammans
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yep, I've got surge protectors with telephone and/or coax (for input from the cable company) on *everything*. I'm thinking of going one step further, and getting a UPS for my HTPC and VCR to plug into; that way I won't lose any scheduled recordings because of a brief power outage. (Last night the power dropped at work, and the people without UPSs were more than a little annoyed; luckily, my apt. was unaffected, so I was able to tape Buffy without a hitch http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif )

I'd also recommend homeowner's/renter's insurance for any AV or PC gadget-collectors. I had a friend who's house wiring got toasted the same way; his insurance paid to replace almost everything, although he did have to wrangle with the insurance company a bit.

I'm only mildly surprised that the DSL interface survived; after all, it's basically telecomm-grade equipment. Does your line have a splitter? If so , it may have taken the brunt of the charge (or passed it through on the voice band), while keeping the DSL device isolated.

------------------

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow. -Ivanova, B5

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
I wonder, would an external DSL modem bear the brunt of the surge, or could it very easily be passed through the ethernet port to the Computer?

Andy K.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Battery UPS's are now very cheap. I've got one on every computer in the house. Most of them also come with phone and cable protections. There's almost no excuse not to have them if your machines are usually on.

I only have enough backup power to keep it going for a few minutes but that is usually long enough for the power to come back on where I live. I think (hope?) they offer better power protection than the cheap surge protectors. I smile every time I hear it click.

But I was very annoyed with Buffy last night. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

- Tom

------------------

Getting started:
HTPC FAQ , DScaler , Xcel's Links .

·
Registered
235 Posts
Let me add a few more words of warning...

Get a rider on your insurance policy specifically for your computer equipment. I've got several computers at home, and had a lightning problem last year. I'm not sure what got hit, but it blew up a hub, two PCs, 4 monitors, two televisions, various other equipment, and sent enough electrical energy through the house to affect televsions that weren't even plugged in (they required degaussing). All told there was around $11,000 worth of damage.

The insurance company came to inspect, took a look at everything and promptly said, "Sorry, you're not covered. You have an 'unreasonable' amount of computer equipment for a home user, and you aren't insured for business use, so we're only willing to cover $2,500 of it."

After fighting with them for months, I had to settle for $5,400, which didn't even come close to covering what was lost.

-Mike

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup, I have a rider that specifically covers all of my toys. It has a $750 deductible, though, which is just about exactly the cost of replacing the Siemens phone base unit, the fax machine and the TiVo.

The DSL router is indeed feeding off of a filter from a split in the voice line, but you'd think that would just mean that the filter would have been immolated. But it wasn't... interesting. And as for transmitting the surge from the DSL router, all I can say is that I was lucky; not only did the surge not harm the router, it also did not affect the hub to which the router is attached nor the three computers connected to the hub (one of which is my HTPC).

------------------

Scott Gammans
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

·
Registered
305 Posts
How much do these riders usually cost?

The following is completely off topic...

Tom & dcheesi,

It's nice to see some other Buffy fans here on AVS. Wow! What an episode.

Do you think Buffy's move to UPN will help or hurt it's chances of one day being broadcast in HD, or at least DTV? I know that here in Utah our WB station is much bigger than our UPN station. So it doesn't look good. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

Jeremy

[This message has been edited by JeremyNeish (edited 05-24-2001).]

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Thanks Scott for posting that. I just called my insurance company and found that my base policy covered up to $3000 for computer equipment. My other electronics are covered under a personal property clause which is well in excess of my toys, etc. I doubled the computer coverage for an extra $15/year. It has the same deductable ($250). I doubt I have $6000 worth of computer equipment, but might eclipse the $3K limit. Say, if a storm hits, I guess that means I'll have to upgrade. Come on lighnin! (I am kidding of course!)

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.