AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading Londo's post a few months ago concerning labeling discs with the Epson R300, I became interested in labeling my many recorded DVD's and CD's. I read a review of the Epson R300 at Steve's Digicams, (the web site is http://www.steves-digicams.com --the whole address wouldn't work here, but just go to his printer reviews). He seemed to like it except for the fact that the dye will run off of a disc if it gets wet (probably even with the sweat off of one's hands), so he stated that he preferred the Casio thermal CD printer to label his discs. (Of course, he didn't mention if he tried to print on blank media other than white blank discs.) Pricegrabber listed the Casio CW-75 Thermal Disc Title Printer w/ LCD Display--average price about $120. I haven't been labeling any of the many DVD and CD's that I have burned, preferring simply to make case labels using the SureThing CD Labeler Deluxe (which in my humble opinion, is one of the easiest labeling programs to use) and leave the discs without any labels. SureThing has matte case inserts for CD and DVD cases, but I also found some glossy case inserts at Meritline. Anyway, any opinions on the Cacio thermal CD printer and have discs printed with the R300 stood up?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hound: Just wrote about this issue with the inkjet printables in the Epson R800 thread :

One thing I have noticed with the discs printed with the R300 is the fact that if you get ANY kind of moisture on them at all (as in a slightly wet/greasy fingerprint/s) the ink smears badly (even on discs that were printed weeks ago)

While this is not a big issue for me personally (as I will simply always make sure my fingers are completely dry when inserting or removing a disc) it may be with other folks.

Londo mentioned that he applies a very light fixatif to coat the tops after printing, but I'm still not comfortable with doing this to every disc I create. Any ideas for other ways around this?

This has me considering the Casio now ...

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
try to handle the discs properly and you should have no problem with the ink on the R300, or at least I haven't on the set of ink I've used just printing (99%) on discs.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
That would be a no! ;) And a good example as to what the Epson is capable of.

Another point is that the Casio is not exactly economic either at $10 per replacement ribbon (A couple of users averaged this out and came up with a cost average of approximately .50 per disc) The Epson inks are not cheap either but the Epson has an infinite amount of options as far as labelling in comparison to the rather one-dimensional Casio.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Not starting a war here...just adding my own personal observation, that is I have not had a single problem with printing 1440 dpi on memorex photo labeling media. I use an Epson Photo printer. They look beautiful, they don't smudge or run, and I am not the least bit concerned about them ruining my DVD disks.

There...I said it. I feel reborn. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Which model Epson Photo Printer do you use and how do you align disks for printing?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Quote:
Which model Epson Photo Printer do you use and how do you align disks for printing?
Me?

They are *labels*. I just put an 8.5x11 sheet into the printer, and start the Memorex label writing software, import image file, i.e. BMP, JPG, TIFF, etc., add text, and print the sheet. Let it dry, peel off the die-cut label and apply using the stomper, or you can use the empty spindle of a DVD package to center it.

My Epson printer is an older Stylus Photo 700, 6 color ink, 1440 dpi. Still does very nice photo work.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have read in 2 separate threads of people having problems with paper-printed labels on DVDs. Apparently, todays DVD players are so compact that the disks dont have a lot of space, so heat builds up around them from the lazer and can loosen the adhesive of the disk labels. Even a slight loosening can get the disk stuck in your player and make a mess. At least, that is what I read. So they all recommended either printing on the disk or just labeling them by pen.

In the Epson R800 review, they say that the new inks used in that printer are waterproof. This guy even claimed to take a print (on epson gloss paper) into the bath with him and it dried without a single smudge. I wonder if that will be waterproof on DVDs as well.
http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Board/bath2.jpg

The waterproof thread is at http://www.photo-i.co.uk/cgi-bin/iko...t=ST;f=40;t=63

:cool:

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
That HP Lightscribe thing would be fantastic, especially if the special coating could be applied to existing discs.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Quote:
I have read in 2 separate threads of people having problems with paper-printed labels on DVDs. Apparently, todays DVD players are so compact that the disks dont have a lot of space, so heat builds up around them from the lazer and can loosen the adhesive of the disk labels. Even a slight loosening can get the disk stuck in your player and make a mess.
Hasn't happened once to me or anyone on any disk I've used the memorex labels on. The photographic labels are thin, and the labels have not loosened from heat.

I've read those reports too, but many have pertained to CDs played with in-dash car stereo CD players, hot sun, hot interiors, improper disk storage.

Anyway, your mileage may vary, but the Memorex 1440 dpi photo-glossy labels have worked without any problem for me whatsoever.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Ok ... Well, I have done some research regarding the R800 and I am assuming that since it uses these "waterproof" inks (why the R300 does not even use the semi-waterproof Durabriteâ„¢ inks is a mystery), that it may in fact work out. Still remains to be seen though. I am wondering just how much of a factor the surface of the printable dvd's themselves is in regard to the smudging and waterproof issue.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zenith2525
Ok ... Well, I have done some research regarding the R800 and I am assuming that since it uses these "waterproof" inks (why the R300 does not even use the semi-waterproof Durabriteâ„¢ inks is a mystery), that it may in fact work out. Still remains to be seen though. I am wondering just how much of a factor the surface of the printable dvd's themselves is in regard to the smudging and waterproof issue.
I was wondering the same thing. I posted that question in several threads where people were discussing the R800, but no one has responded. According to all the vendors I have talked to here in NYC, Epson hasnt even started shipping these units yet. Well, I took the plunge and pre-ordered one. I was told it will probably ship next week sometime. I will let you know once I print my first disk :D I got the DVD 4x inkjet printable sampler pack from Meritline.com, and so I will have a variety of surfaces to test for smudgeness. http://www.meritline.com/dvd-samplers.html My favorite thus far is the BeAll--the white goes all the way to the center opening, it looks really nice! The Ritek is also in that pack, and these are the 2 names I hear the most positive feedbacks for in terms of quality, so once I see if the printing goes fine, I will order in bulk from them and get these disks for around a dollar a piece or so.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Well, we're on the same page then Lanny .. please keep us posted. I may exchange my R300 for the R800 as they are willing to do that for me, but I do not want to do so until I know for sure that the inks will in fact be virtually waterproof on discs.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Will do. BTW, do you want me to use soap? Brillo? I could take a bath with one of the printable disks to see if it is truely waterproof, like in the picture in the above post.

:D :D :D

Just kidding. But . . . I am willing to bet it will be able to stand up to a bubble bath better than the paper printed labels mentioned above!!! Hee hee :p

I’ll let you know what I find.

--LANNY

·
Registered
25 Posts
Printed three test discs yesterday afternoon w/Epson r-800 on Ritek printables. Waited 24 hours, wet the tip of my finger and all three discs did smudge. Not a very scientific method, best I could come up with...

I'll try this daily to see if longer drying time helps and continue to post results.

Be curious to see if you have better luck on other brand-names LannyR.

Does anyone know of 3rd party software that will work for disc printing with the r-800? Epson's Print CD package's not bad, looking for additional editing capability.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.