AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My PS2 freezes during gameplay after about 15 minutes of Madden 2004. When I put in a cleaning disc I got a "disc read error" message. I also get the same message when I put in a CD or DVD.An older game works fine.Are these errors servicable or should I think in terms of replacement?

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
They just showed the procedure for this type of error on XPlay on TechTV recently. I don't own a PS2, but they say this is common, and I'm sure there is all kinds of info on the web about it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Best thing to do is to try to clean the lense with a little rubbing alcohol or some compressed air. If that doesn't help, Sony is actually fixing old PS2's for free, as long as they aren't modded. It doesn't matter if they are out of warranty. All you need to do is call up Sony and tell them that you are getting disc read errors and they will tell you where to send the unit.

I've heard of people getting them back in a week, but I would allow probably 2 weeks.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
It wasn't the lens on what I saw, it was a gear you had to adjust. Probably easier to get it serviced if that is an option, since the behavior can point to more than one cause.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help. I'm a little hesitant to go inside the box itself but this link describes the problem exactly and I'll go in as the problem recurs. So far I've managed to get it to recognize a standard lens cleaner and it's working again. It's a bit buggy so I'm sure it's just a matter of time until it freezes up again.

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.