AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Tauzin finally showing some teeth (with promised hard 2006 deadline), what we need now is Congress forcing CE manufacturers to display a disclaimer on the current NTSC sets: in bold 128point font all accross the boxes: "CEA of America warns you that this set is inherently not capable of displaying currently available and future HDTV programming!".

Do you think we need to ring the bell ? Would should the letters go ?

·
Registered
235 Posts
This suggestion will never fly. Just think of how many potentail sales would be lost by posting such a disclaimer. Most people would rather keep their old TV set than dish out a $1000 + for a digital TV.

I believe that those in CE industry should phase in the digital sets a little more faster then they are now. While at the same time began to phase out analog sets 32 inches and up. Currently they are not decreasing the production of analog sets shipped to the U.S. market. This has in part had a negative effect on the market growth for STD/HDTV sets here in the U.S.

I believe that those in the market for a big TV set will pay out over a $1000 If they see that this is for sure the direction the market is going and the fact that they probrably won't buy another TV for at least 5 years or more. In this way the CE industry does not appear to be forcing a technology down the consumer's throat. Eventually as the sales increase the prices will drop. Keep in mind that most of these TV's will only be STD not HDTV. Even so, most people will see an improvement in the picture.

If this process is done over the next five years or so, than analog TV's will soon start to become absolete.

·
Registered
925 Posts
You would assume that the manufacturer's will have to put a disclaimer on their product, something like "NTSC analog broadcasts that this Television receivers will be discontinued in 2006." I also see it as the FCC roll to put commercials on TV that NTSC broadcasts will be switched over to ATSC within X number of years.

But with Americans still foolishly spending $9 Billion a year on Televisions sets, why would the Manufacturer's want to change?

Now for the really scary statistic, most big screen TVs are purchased by family's with less than $25K per year income. Which means these people have made their one large TV purchase and will NOT be upgrading anytime soon. These people will be left behind in the HDTV revolution.

I was smart enough to realize that HDTV was coming, I needed a large TV for DVD, so I bought the least expensive on sale TV I could find. I would have been nuts to spend more than $500 for soon obsolete technology.

------------------

Married Men Live Longer Than Single Men, But Married Men Are More Willing To Die.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I meant is that CE manufacturers' silence @ this point

amounts to a de-facto deception of customers ! And this is

exactly why Tauzin et al should interfere . Your avg JSP (Joe-six-pack)

with $25K yearly income would be offly upset to find out he

and his buddies won't be able to watch HD SuperBowl next year

on his brand-spanking new 65" NTSC set he bought with his

hard earned money just few months ago . Surely enough noone

actually lied to him, but noone has warned him about this either.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rashid11:
What I meant is that CE manufacturers' silence @ this point

amounts to a de-facto deception of customers ! And this is

exactly why Tauzin et al should interfere . Your avg JSP (Joe-six-pack)

with $25K yearly income would be offly upset to find out he

and his buddies won't be able to watch HD SuperBowl next year

on his brand-spanking new 65" NTSC set he bought with his

hard earned money just few months ago . Surely enough noone

actually lied to him, but noone has warned him about this either.
Joe Six Pack will be likely to be able to buy a set top box that downcoverts DTV to analog NTSC, just as the present boxes, for pocket change. They're likely to be dirt cheap in five or six years.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Do you know what will really get HD going? HD DVD. Once that

particular genie is out of the box, Hollywood, Broadway and every

performer and documentary maker in America and, everyone else too,

will jump on the HD bandwagon faster than you can say "MONEY".

There are several new HD DVD technologies on the horizon, one of

the most promising of which is Constellation 3D's CFMD disks which

have been demonstrated to hold 25 Gbytes and are capable of storing

over a hundred Gb. As we speak they are getting ready to produce

the disks and players commercially. They will likely appear in

computer drives to begin with, but when this happens living room

DVD HD players will be right around the corner. These disks can

be read by a standard (read cheap) ruby laser, which doubles their

potential market impact.

Don

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Actually, something like the All Channel Receiver Act that mandated that all set sold after a certain date needed to be able to receive the new UHF stations would have more impact. As has been proposed, force all sets to be able to receive and display the ATSC signal. Were this to actually happen, the cost of an ATSC decoder would come down very quickly (and since it would actually raise the price of SD sets) and the price difference between SD and HD set would shrink.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.