AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess MSRP is around $5k for this thing. I happen to find a site that is offering this model for about 1/2 that price shipped after rebate.

After searching the forums, I found that it wasn't well liked for five grand, but for about half that, is it not that bad of a choice? Being only 7" deep, kinda makes it appealing. ... And it comes with a wireless keyboard... LOL

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
As I stated in another thread on this TV:

The problem with this set is the limited production. This design never caught on. Getting replacement parts may be difficult and / or very expensive. I would be very hesitant in buying a discontinued television such as this.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Who said it was discontinued? From everything I have read (Reviews perfect vision and pc magazine) it is AMAZING. They have listened to the major complaints which were no backlight remote, VGA DVI issues, and cable card problem, which have all been remedied.

It has a modular bay and should be very EASY to not only change bulbs but actually the entire DLP sysmtem to a LCOS or any future technology that would yield better results.

It has a basic windows ce operating system built in which allows a very easy and flashable memory on all its major components including cable card reader. Let alone the IE browser.

It has the HD2+ chip which from my understanding if the best, correct?

Double 1394 hookups HDMI, only 135 pounds, and 6.8 inches. I bought 2 of them for the suggested retail price, hope you got in on this great deal tmanxx.

Plus 2 year warranty of course.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
As Jimmy can tell you, this unit is also amazingly thin!! 6.5" I believe.

The Perfect Vision gave it a very positve review not long ago.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Well, the deal has woot-ed out the door. I don't think it "sold out" as many of their deals do, but I have no idea how many were offered.

It's pretty obvious the TV is just not selling at all at those prices.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
They had 450 and they sold out quickly. This was the single biggest dollar deal woot has ever had. woot sold $1,350,000 worth of these TVs in less than 24 hours.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've read that these ultra-thin microdisplays sacrifice picture quality to achieve their thin form factor, because the light has to be bent around at very sharp angles. I remember in particular reading a negative review several months ago of the ultra-thin model from RCA. Anyone know about this?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy
They had 450 and they sold out quickly. This was the single biggest dollar deal woot has ever had. woot sold $1,350,000 worth of these TVs in less than 24 hours.
Hey, thanks for that info. That is a good day. And proof -- I suppose -- that at the right price, the form factor is desirable.

I didn't think it sold out because I checked in mid-to-late afternoon and found it for sale. Often, the best deals are gone by lunchtime in the east.

Anyway, they usually move stuff at $50-200, so this was certainly a big-ticket item. And $1.35M is nothing to sneeze at. :)

Still, I wonder what it means for the future of the product? I'll try to learn more at CEDIA.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo
Still, I wonder what it means for the future of the product?
The RCA version is discontinued. I don't know if the Infocus is still made or not.

Robert

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert123
The RCA version is discontinued. I don't know if the Infocus is still made or not.

Robert
In that case, I doubt it is. Both are made on the same line. Of course, Infocus has a different distribution model and might be content selling just a few of these, whereas RCA needs to sell boatloads to justify the effort.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.