AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone could shed some light as to whether the AE700 is worth the extra money. I currently own an AE100 and am quite happy with it but I would like the extra resolution. Both models offer that. Contrast is nice but what bothers me more is Vertical Banding and white scenes looking dirty. Unless the AE700 has a noticible improvement in those two areas I'm probably going to get the AE500.

I'm also leaning toward the AE500 because I have a custom mount that will work with it. The screw hole placement is compatible with the AE100. My theater room is completely light controled and I sit about 12 feet from the screen. My screen is roughly 7' wide.

Before I pull the trigger I would like to hear some of the forum members input. Thanks!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I am in the exacty same situation as you. And i am thinking that i could buy the 500 cheap now, and upgrade when the 900 comes with the D5 panels instead. I don't know if the 700 is that much better. All in all they use the same panels. And how much better could it be. I think if you upgrade to the 500, the biggest step would be from the 100 and up to this high resulution panels. I think you will say WOW either way!

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
I just made the Panasonic 500 my first projector purchase. I hope I like it really well as I don't want to upgrade for at least 5 years despite likely new technology improvements. I decided the extra money for an AE700 wasn't worth it for me. I have recently replaced a 15 year old Sony PVM 25" and 12 year old Sony XBR 27". I don't expect that kind of life with my XBR910 and new projector but a minimum of 5 years with each is expected.

Chr

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I have decided to upgrade to the AE700 from the 300. By the way the 700 also matches the 100,200,300,500 mount (same bolt pattern). The 500 is much less expensive now. It is approx $700 less. The 500 has the same D4 panels being used in the 700 now. From what I know, the difference in the $700 dollars is the beter contrast, better black level, and more flexibility for mounting. I have wondered whether or not it's really worth the extra $$. The main issue with the 500 for me is the vertical banding and contrast. From what I hear, the Sony HS-51 has no VB and better CR. But.....It has screendoor (suposedly) that a 95 year old grandma could see from 30' away.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was not aware the mounting holes are compatible with the AE700. Is it still worth $700 more since it uses the same Epson panels?

I have read on the Official AE700 thread users reporting no VB. I wonder if they have seen a AE500 to compare?

Thanks for the replys thus far. If I wait long enough the AE500 will be sold out and I will be forced to get the AE700. I don't suppose that is all bad. ;-)

·
Registered
46 Posts
another way to look at it is that the 700 will probably offer you at least twice the bulb life which means the $300 or so you spend on bulbs (times two) will make the savings almost zero. get the 700 now. waiting for the next thing will satisfy you until the NEXT thing hits the following months. buy the 700, and then NEVER come back to this site b/c you'll drive yourself crazy ;)

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Indeed you will.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RobZ
I was happy with my five year old 27" Panasonic until I found this site. Now I feel as if I need a 1080P projector mounted in my bedroom in order to get a satisfactory display.
You need a lot more than that, you aren't reading enough!

Chris

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess the real question is how much better is the AE700 to the remarkable AE100? Just Kidding ;-)

I think I will get the AE700 and not look back. Just need a HDMI 25' cable now with a HDMI to DVI converter. Time to google and search the forum.

Hey RobZ how much you want to sell that 27" TV for? Sounds like a good replacement.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I just read a post on another thread that read something like "the HS-51 is by far the best projector and the 700 isn't even in the same league". The funny thing is, he hasn't seen either one. His comments were "according to what he's read". This is why you should buy the 700, hook it up, and watch it so much that you will not have enough spare time to read this forum. If not, you'll be upgrading to an AE-900 or HS-61 sometime next year.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
"If not, you'll be upgrading to an AE-900 or HS-61 sometime next year."

And what, exactly, is wrong with that? :D

Both could well be 1920 x 1080, even....

·
Registered
464 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RobZ
I just read a post on another thread that read something like "the HS-51 is by far the best projector and the 700 isn't even in the same league". The funny thing is, he hasn't seen either one. His comments were "according to what he's read".
Yup, there is wayyyy too much prognosticating by self described experts who have never laid eyes on the actual products. I saw the HS51, Panny 700, Epson 500, and Inf SP5000 at Cedia, spent a whole day with 720p LCDs, I liked the 700 the best, not based on what I read, but what I saw and experienced.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.