AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. A main reason I want to get a HD STB is because of the Discovery High Definition Channel. But I am not sure how I go about receiving it. My Digital Cable company does not carry the channel, AT&T, so does this mean I won't be able to get the channel? Is this is true, then how would I go about being able to receive it? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
The only way you can currently recieve this channel is through Dishnetwork. You will need to get a Dish 6000 reciever to connect to your HDTV. There is no other means to recieve it. You are probably better of asking more detail about this in the HD Programming forum though.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Wrong forum!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chap

The only way you can currently recieve this channel is through Dishnetwork.
It's also available to C-band satellite systems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chap
The only way you can currently recieve this channel is through Dishnetwork.
It's also available through Charter, at least in the Los Angeles area.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
woz - Could you tell me how the quality is of that channel.

Also, how much did you pay for the reciever to get the channel? How much do you pay monthly? I am sick of Digital Cable, and would like an alternative. Also, can it receive local channels?

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
you can pay for local channels on dish network. His link answers most of your other questions. A 6000 can be had on ebay between 300 and 350 (this will still require you to buy a dish though). You can probably get it even cheaper through other places if you subscribe to certain packaging for a year.

·
Registered
172 Posts
RE: paying for locals on Dishnetwork. Once you have the 6000 receiver w/the 8vsp OTA module, you don't need to "subscribe" to them as you get them free - and digital (usually) - OTA.

I pay about $60-65 per month for Dish - total including all taxes, etc. This includes Discovery HD ($7.99 p/month) and HBO ($13.99 p/month). In our market, digital cable with HBO is about $75-78 per month....and they do not offer HDTV. Dish is a GREAT bargain in our market (PDX).

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I am not sure if he is reffering to locals on HD or SD locals since not everything is HD yet.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Any Cox cable HDTV should carry it (I have it here in Fairfax, VA). Cox owns Discovery :)

The only problem is they charge $6.95 for that one channel alone :(

- John

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Chap, he's referring to the locals. All the Portland stations (except WB) are now broadcasting digital with ABC, CBS & NBC passing all network HD through to us. We also get some nice stuff from our PBS station as well as Faux Widescreen and UPN SD.

If you buy your 6000 from Dishdepot.com it includes the 8psk module that is required to receive Discovery HD. If you don't want to buy a bunch of Dish programming, you can buy only the Discovery HD for $7.99 & pay Dish a $5 no programming fee and you're set. You can also pick up HBO& Showtime and just pay for those packages with the $5 no programming fee.

I prefer to pay Dish $5.99 for the locals just so I have a guide handy. I setup a Locals Favorites in my 6000 that just has my Local Digital channels and the Dish Locals for Portland, that way I can easily see what's on, since you can't get any program info from locals yet. (Analog Primetime via Dish is the exception).

If you want to pick up local OTA Digital, then you need the 8psk mod ($149) plus you must be connected to Dish with at least one satellite for the 6000 to work.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Any D*TV customers out there aching for DiscoveryHD, why not go to D*TV's website, find the "feedback" section and write to them asking for DiscoveryHD?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Unfortunately, Discovery HD has been a major disappointent to me. Many of the programs have been recycled and were previously shown on HDNet. In fact, some have run concurrently on HDNet. There is quite a lot of nature programming that has been shot in HD but Discovery doesn't seem to be yet willing to step up to the plate and obtain it.

I also continue to see more motion artifacts on Discovery thanm I see on HD Net.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Not sure if any of you saw the full page ad in today's "A" section of the Baltimore Sun (may have run in other papers) for Discovery HD Theater. DISH seems to be heavily promoting a channel that many here believe is not worth the cost.

If DirecTv promoted HDNet like this, I'd bet they'd sell alot more satellite systems, not to mention HD sets.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
The Discovery channel (the non-HD one) is also promoting it pretty well. I watch that channel maybe once a week and see the HD add almost every time.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Martha I see you live in IL and you have AT&T cable I am a tester for them now I have HD ......6 stations and 1 of them is HD Discovery and the picture is fantastic as I understand it everyone will be able to get HD in about a month or so

·
Registered
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by s2silber
Any D*TV customers out there aching for DiscoveryHD, why not go to D*TV's website, find the "feedback" section and write to them asking for DiscoveryHD?
While activating a HD200 STB this week, a D* representative said that DiscoveryHD will begin airing on D* this month (free like HDNET with TotalChoice or above programming).

Looking forward to more HD programming.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jeffmcclan
While activating a HD200 STB this week, a D* representative said that DiscoveryHD will begin airing on D* this month (free like HDNET with TotalChoice or above programming).

Looking forward to more HD programming.
Are you sure? :confused: I just called DirecTV and the CSR whom I reached checked with two supervisors who told her there were no such plans. :( Anyway, I again urge any D*TV customers who'd like to see more HDTV channels to barrage D*TV with calls and letters to the feedback page. The more HDTV offerings they have, the harder it will be for Rupert Murdoch to take them away when he takes over.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.