AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In either Home Theatre magazine or sound and vision (can't remember which one) they have a state by state listing of HDTV channels. For Illinois they have comcast listed and one of the channels is Discovery. Do they know something or is this just a mistake?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
It's a mistake. Comcast did carry Discovery HD Theater last winter/spring during the HD testing period, but they dropped it a month or two before launching the service this May. Too bad - they had some beautiful programs. The good news is that Comcast still carries a lot of other HD channels in the Chicago area: ESPN, INHD, INHD2, Showtime, HBO, ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, and PBS.

·
Registered
103 Posts
CSR for Comcast told me today that on OCT 16 we will be getting Discovery HD and 2 more stations but would not tell me what 2

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
When is Cinemax HD going to launch. Comcast already announced carriage. I wouldn't be suprised if one was the WB. I doubt it would be CBS or the HDNet channels ( a pity too since they would make a great compliment to INHD1/2. But then again, it was just a CSR. Time for someone to email the president of the company again. ;)

I wish we'd hear more about Starz HD channels too.

·
Registered
787 Posts
3 new HD channels?!?! no $%^&ing way!

BravoHD?

I doubt discovery though. With INHD comcast may think there is no need. I'd take CBS over any 3 others though

·
Registered
466 Posts
The last Comcast reply I received to an email inquiry listed Fox (now accomplished), CBS, Discovery and HDNet as the people they were negotiating with.

·
Registered
787 Posts
from the president of comcast:

"We are talking to CBS and Discovery but have nothing to report and I am not sure where th October 16th date came from. We just launched In HD 1 and In HD 2 in many systems. Glad to hear people enjoy the service and we will do our best to keep improving it."

·
Registered
103 Posts
All I can tell everyone is a person from Concast called me back and told me straight out that Discvovery HD was to be launched on Oct 16 th she had the letter in front of her and that 2 more stations would also be added

·
Registered
787 Posts
this is very interesting

i have to think there was a screw up on the csr's end as the information i've received from the president, steve burke, has been accurate up to this point.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
ya up to now the CSRs have never had advanced info (at least that was accurate) and they found out about InHd after the fact (in most cases).

Somethings fishy and you figure it would leak out of Philly well before a memo was sent down to the CSRs at the remote sites. (but damn I wish this was true)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Comcast's first priority should be to get CBS up and running by the end of the year!

Only complain to them about that for now!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by smirnoffski
Comcast's first priority should be to get CBS up and running by the end of the year!
What's the deal with CBS on Comcast?

I've had it here from the get-go...I kind of figured everyone did.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Stayfair,

Your local CBS is an independently owned station that negotiated on its own with CBS. ~17 of the Major CBS affiliates are owned and operated (O&O) by CBS's parent company (Viacom) and they have not worked a deal with Comcast for carriage of their HD Channel (Been stuck in negotiations for ages)

·
Registered
103 Posts
In my area we get CBS through Comcast HD .

And I would love to have Discovery HD through Comcast it would be great ! Then my wife would be able to enjoy some HD programming ( ie. Trading Spaces ) .

·
Registered
221 Posts
In Atlanta,

We get CBS, but no ABC (go figure)... Hopefully, when I get my DLP in a few weeks I'll be able to watch MNF and Alias in HD ;-)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
RelDudeGOP, can you please post Steve Burke's e-mail? It was on the AVSforum before, but it is gone from the search engine.

I would like to ask him why Arlington, Virginia and Prince George's County, Maryland have the digital version of WTTG-DT Fox5 and why is Montgomery county excluded from this channel? These are all counties in the DC area.

And of course....I'll ask about Discovery HD again too!

Thanks in advance

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.