AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just flipping through my HD channels and found that Discovery HD was turned on for me. I subscribed to it last year, cancelled this year when they tried to bill me for the yearly sub (over a month ago now) and now it is back! Is anyone else getting this? I haven't seen anyone else here mention anything so I though I'd ask...


Maybe a freebie until next week? Or did someone just screw up for me and I'm the only one?


I will be ordering the package next week when it goes live, so you think they are psychic?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,557 Posts
Its highly suspected that since most people who are signing up for the new HD Package are finding that their current Discovery HD channel gets shut off. Since its their "former" package and the new HD package hasn't started yet.


People have had to call up and "cancel" the new HD package and wait until its launch before "resubscribing". By turning Discovery HD into Free mode, Dish can now sign up people without worrying about them losing Discovery HD if they have it. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CycloneGT
Its highly suspected that since most people who are signing up for the new HD Package are finding that their current Discovery HD channel gets shut off. Since its their "former" package and the new HD package hasn't started yet.


People have had to call up and "cancel" the new HD package and wait until its launch before "resubscribing". By turning Discovery HD into Free mode, Dish can now sign up people without worrying about them losing Discovery HD if they have it. :D
As I mentioned in another thread, I lost more than DHDT when I tried to subscribe to the new HD package a couple of days ago. ESPN and Cinemax, and who knows how many other unrelated channels, also disappeared. Took half an hour on the phone with a particularly clueless CSR to get everything back the way it was. I learned my lesson; I'm waiting 'till Tuesday to try it again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,123 Posts
Some day I hope to understand why people put themselves through such aggrevation. The CSR's have enough problems (everybody always harps on how clueless they are about everything, right) trying to add or subtract programming even on things that have been in existence for quite some time. Yet people insist on calling a week or 10 days before a new package even launches?


Why do people do that? I'm confident enough that if I wait til the 16th when I'm ready to sit down and be able to actually view the channels to begin with, that one short phone call will in fact get the job done at that point. It's not like there's a 3 day delay between when the call is placed to add an existing package and the point at which it actually light's up on a receiver. More like 3 minutes, prolly.


Now if there were reason to believe that if a person called before the 16th that the channels would actually appear ahead of time it might be worth the hassle. But I dont know that theres any evidence to suggest that would happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,123 Posts
Yeah, I'm seeing the same thing, borf. I cancelled DHD on E* once D* launched their HD Pack that included it a couple months ago.


But now it's lit up again on E* for me (without having placed any calls about anything of course) so I'd say Cyclones reasoning is about right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
539 Posts
Quote:
Yet people insist on calling a week or 10 days before a new package even launches?
Makes sense when your 6000 has an empty 8psk bay. By pre-ordering, the card should be here by launch date.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,123 Posts
Fair enough, John. For those that dont currently have the module it would make sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DP1
Some day I hope to understand why people put themselves through such aggrevation. The CSR's have enough problems (everybody always harps on how clueless they are about everything, right) trying to add or subtract programming even on things that have been in existence for quite some time. Yet people insist on calling a week or 10 days before a new package even launches?


Why do people do that? I'm confident enough that if I wait til the 16th when I'm ready to sit down and be able to actually view the channels to begin with, that one short phone call will in fact get the job done at that point. It's not like there's a 3 day delay between when the call is placed to add an existing package and the point at which it actually light's up on a receiver. More like 3 minutes, prolly.


Now if there were reason to believe that if a person called before the 16th that the channels would actually appear ahead of time it might be worth the hassle. But I dont know that theres any evidence to suggest that would happen.
Ya know, I didn't lose anything other than DHDT when I signed up the other day. I think your original CSR screwed something up and shut off things that needn't have been. The only thing that should have turned red was DHDT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DP1
... I'm confident enough that if I wait til the 16th when I'm ready to sit down and be able to actually view the channels to begin with, that one short phone call will in fact get the job done at that point.
Why be old-fashioned?

I plan to log on to dishnetwork.com...

click on log-in,

click on add programming,

click on the Home Theater Package,

click on Check-out,

click on verify

log out, swap a remote for the mouse, and "click" to the new

HD channels.


:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Borf:


I had Discovery HD for a short time this year, I did not have the billing problem you did but I am also getting Discovery HD as of 9/11/03.


I have made no call to Dish about the new package so I guess it is

Charlie's way of throwing a teaser out there until the 16th.


1 question:


Do you have to be an existing Discovery HD sub. to get the 1 month free

offer when the new HD package rolls out on the 16th?


CustM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jimg
Why be old-fashioned?

I plan to log on to dishnetwork.com...

click on log-in,

click on add programming,

click on the Home Theater Package,

click on Check-out,

click on verify

log out, swap a remote for the mouse, and "click" to the new

HD channels.

Yeah thats true too. Except I never bothered to create an account online with E* partly because I think it's tacky that at least one time I checked, you couldnt remove programming that way..only add it. I dont know if thats changed or not.


I do things online with D* though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,161 Posts
Someone in another forum posted that Disc HD is in the clear for a possible free preview this weekend. I hope they turn on HDNET as well.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top