AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my HD DVR today from DirecTV. Everything looks great (even SD locals look better than they used to) but for some reason I have slight flicker on Discovery HD Theater. I thought maybe it was just one show, but it's all of them. It's not a huge flicker, but it is enough that it hurts your eyes. I'm thinking it's not a problem with my TV since everything else looks fine. Any ideas why this is happening?

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
If you are outputting 720p, try 1080i or vice versa (press up on the remote a couple of times).

Also might help to know what TV you have and how you have your Tivo connected.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I too have noticed this ONLY on this channel. It seems to flicker around the bright white areas on the screen. NO other HD or SD channel does this. I can't explain it, but it does get on my nerves very badly. I have tried changing resolution but it still does it. I also have a HD DVR.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I am also seeing this problem on DirecTV. It has been going on for a couple of weeks now and it is really annoying. I'm surprised that not more people have complained about this. I have three different brands of HD receivers and am seeing the problem with all of them, so obviously the problem is with either DirecTV or Discovery HD.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried outputting 1080i, 720p, and 480p, and the flicker is constant across all three. Right now my box is hooked up through component cables to my Toshiba rear-projection, but I plan to have it go through HDMI whenever I can get a replacement box. My TV displays 1080i natively and I read that Discovery uses 1080i, so it seems fine from that angle.

I might play with my display settings a little to see what happens. It's really noticable on still screens, but not so much with a lot of motion.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBFreek
Oh boy...this will certainly bring out the D* bashers...
This will make you feel better. I have Dish and have recently seen/heard some very bad lip sync problems on Discovery HD.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The flicker is very noticeable. I can not watch the channel anymore as I get a headache. Discovery HD is now the worst of the HD channels on D*.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I cant honestly say that Ive noticed the flicker or the lyp sync problem on D*...

Im hooked up with Sammy360 HDMI to DVI on a Toshiba DLP..

I have Charter HD also running on component to the same TV and and see no problems there either...

What I do see is that Charter PQ for this channel (actually every channel) just blows D* away...

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Why on earth do you all put up with this type of stuff? :confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.