AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With about a month to go until Discovery HD airs.

who will be carrying it?

Direct TV? (probably they seem to get everything)

Dish Network?

Digital Cable HDTV (where available)?

thanks

·
Registered
657 Posts
I was just about to start this same thread. If I had to guess then I would say DirecTV. Considering their stealth launch of ShowtimeHD we probably won't hear anything right away . . . unless some of our more connected members ferret out some info.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
What kind of space is available on DirecTV's "middle" orbital slot? (sorry, forgot the number) Did I read somewhere that Showtime got its own transponder, whereas HBOHD and HDNet share a transponder?

Alex

·
Registered
626 Posts
It appears possible that it will be available on C Band through the 4DTV system. Discovery already uses Digicipher II (the 4DTV format) for its digital channels and makes those available to big dish owners on a subscription basis. The 4DTV marketing rep posted a message on the 4DTV forum saying that Discovery had shown interest. If they do use the DCII format, making it available would be easy since the original signal will be on a satellite that BUDs already get signals from. It is jsut a matter of coming to agreement with the companies that market the programming to BUD owners. We should know in about a month and a half.

I assume that other systems will also get it but maybe not right away. As a strong C band supporter, I hope that BUD owners get it first. :)

Roy

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,766 Posts
I've not heard any confirmed carriage, as yet.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Ross
Roy,

I hope we ALL get it at the same time! :)
Yes indeed. I wonder why Roy would want a certain group to get if before everyone else. I also hope everyone gets it at the same time, the day it becomes available.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Roy probably feels that way because us C-banders are used to getting everything first. :)

Honestly, anything that might help sell a C-band system is a positive to those of us who love C-band and wish to see it survive in the long term. If Discovery HD is only available on C-band for the first few months, that might sell a few 4DTV/HD200 combo's, or get some of those with old systems to reactivate them.

However, I honestly don't think C-band is going anywhere because of how many broadcasters and small cable systems rely on it. I just hope Discovery HD is on C-band so I can put the potential LSD purchase off yet again.

Chris

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
I too vote for C-Band first. :)

BUD actually does provide some monor competition for the LSD guys, and if the merger takes place, there will be no other real competition out there for Charlie. I agree with R8Der, I don't think C/Ku-Band is going anywhere either, but I am more concerned about availability of some channels in that format. Many channels and cableco's deliver their channels in Digicipher format which can be received by 4DTV receivers but don't want to be bothered allowing or processing subscriptions. It would be nice to see something open up first on BUD's to keep the format active as an alternative to "Charlievision" and his LSD monopoly.

All that being said, I won't be upset if we all get it at the same time either.

·
Registered
545 Posts
You guys are going to call me crazy:

I predict all three will carry on the introduction date, C-Band, Direct and Dish.

Reason: there is already a small rush to get press notice for putting up new

HD channels, and I think Direct and Dish will both want the points for this.

C band was never really in doubt.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Received email reply from Laura Danyliw, General Manager - Programming, EchoStar Communications Corp. after my inquiry about Disc-HD. She stated "We are currently in active discussions with the channel. Representatives from EchoStar and Discovery will be holding meetings over the next two weeks. We are making every attempt to come to acceptable terms for carriage of this channel. " and from Jim Defranco "WE WILL REVIEW THIS AND RESPOND ON THE RETAILER CHAT THURSDAY MAY 9TH.

THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST AND CONTINUED SUPPORT."

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by R8der

Honestly, anything that might help sell a C-band system is a positive to those of us who love C-band and wish to see it survive in the long term. If Discovery HD is only available on C-band for the first few months, that might sell a few 4DTV/HD200 combo's, or get some of those with old systems to reactivate them.

Chris
I can't believe you're actually saying this. C Band is a dinosaur. You may love it. It may provide great NTSC pictures. But it's very far from the mainstream and will always be so. It's pure fantasy to think that having an HD channel first on C band will make C band into anything more than it already is. And to use this as a reason to want to delay Discovery to small dish users is, well I just won't say it. Very disappointed in you C band users that feell this way. You obviously are more interested in selling a few C band systems than seeing everything done possible to help HDTV survive and grow. Interesting to see where your priorities are.

Compared to my desire to see HDTV succeed, I could care less if C band went off the air this very second.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry G
I could care less if C band went off the air this very second.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Quote:

I can't believe you're actually saying this. C Band is a dinosaur. You may love it. It may provide great NTSC pictures. But it's very far from the mainstream and will always be so. It's pure fantasy to think that having an HD channel first on C band will make C band into anything more than it already is. And to use this as a reason to want to delay Discovery to small dish users is, well I just won't say it. Very disappointed in you C band users that feell this way. You obviously are more interested in selling a few C band systems than seeing everything done possible to help HDTV survive and grow. Interesting to see where your priorities are.

Compared to my desire to see HDTV succeed, I could care less if C band went off the air this very second.
I think you may not understand the purpose of C band here. C Band (the big

dishes) is the primary way that the local stations and local cable operations

get the TV signals they distribute. It not only supplies the main feeds, but

also the really "odd" stuff that makes TV run. For example, there are C-B

feeds that distribute nationwide news clips for the local stations to use,

run by folks like API. They broadcast a continuous series of news stories

without commentary. Your local station records that, adds their

commentary, then airs it inside their own newscast. Other examples are

things like the Microsoft training channel, etc.

One way to think of C band is like a wholesaler of TV goods vs. your local

retailer. C-band is how the nation talks TV amongst professionals.

Look at it this way, and you will see that C band is not "competition" for

DBS systems. Getting rid of that would be like trying to outlaw trucks.

It would become rapidly apparent why that was a bad idea after your

local supermarket ran out of goods.

C band uses the less desirable wavelengths that require big dishes to

get. It does not take bandwidth away from DBS (K-band) at all.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I see that I got a good discussion going. I don't really want to keep the channel away from anybody. I know that C Band is no longer a mass market system but it is a great hobby for some of us to be able to get the quality and variety of programming that we do.

There are more technical steps for DishNet, DTV or cable to begin to carry the channel. If they get it together to get it on June 17th, Great. If they don't, I wouldn't mind some positive publicity for C band, especially among HD and home theater enthusiasts. C band does have a potential advantage for HD: No bandwith problem. We have gotten east and west feeds of HBO and showtime from the inception. If HBO decided to make all of their channels HD, we would get them all right away.

I have been a C band owner for 15 years. When HD began, I got excited about HD in general and about being able to get as much HD programming as possible. I am not trying to put anybody down, but did want to say that C band has some advantages for HD lovers who have property where a big dish can be put up. Since I do love HD, I would be happy to see all systems carry all HD that is out there.

Roy

P.s.: It is not yet certin that C band will have Discovery HD on day one. We will see.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Quote:

If C band suddenly went away you would have no HD or SD, for that matter. C band is the backbone delivery system for both cable and DBS.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cwood

If C band suddenly went away you would have no HD or SD, for that matter. C band is the backbone delivery system for both cable and DBS.
Folks, I know what C band is. I know it is the method of transmission for many of the services that us lowly TV and small dish users need in order to get our services. When I said it should go away, I was referring to the users, not the stations or rebroadcasters, and I was also being facetious. I was simply expressing my feelings about the elitist attitude expressed in hoping that there is a delay for everyone in receiving Discovery so that the C band users would get it first and that this would help C explode on the marketplace. An absurd thought prompting an absurd response. Get it?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.