1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DISCOVERY+ STREAMING SERVICE
Streaming January 4, 2021

What is discovery+?
discovery+ is the only streaming service with the greatest real-life entertainment from your favorite TV brands - including HGTV, Food Network, TLC, ID, Animal Planet, Discovery Channel - and personalities, plus exclusive originals, all in one place. Whatever you’re into, you’ll find it here.

What will discovery+ include?
A subscription to discovery+ gives you instant, unlimited access to more than 55,000 episodes of 2,500+ current and classic shows from the most beloved TV brands. Fresh new series to inspire, inform and entertain you are added all the time, from lifestyle and true crime to home improvement, food, adventure and more. You'll find all of your favorite personalities like the Irwins, Jonathan and Drew Scott, Chip and Joanna Gaines, Bobby Flay, Ree Drummond, Guy Fieri, Giada De Laurentiis, Lieutenant Joe Kenda and so many more - all in one place.

The service will also include exclusive discovery+ Originals - exciting, can’t-miss series and specials you won’t see anywhere else. And discovery+ is home to the definitive collection of award-winning natural history series, including exclusive streaming access to the BBC's largest natural history offering, featuring shows like Planet Earth, Blue Planet and Frozen Planet.

discovery+ will also include popular shows from A&E, History and Lifetime, including The First 48, Dance Moms, Ice Road Truckers, Married at First Sight, 60 Days In and more.

How much does discovery+ cost?
discovery+ will be competitively priced to complement your favorite streaming services. Plans will start at $4.99 per month, with an ad-free version available for $6.99 per month.

When will discovery+ be available? When can I start watching?
discovery+ will launch January 4, 2021.

Will discovery+ be available outside of the U.S.?
The U.S. version of discovery+ will only be available to subscribers in the United States including American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Over time, we look forward to expanding the service around the world.

·
Administrator
19,592 Posts
These are the channels I get but almost never watch from Directv so I can't see myself adding this one to all my other streaming lineups.

I think I heard Verizon customers will get it for free.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These are the channels I get but almost never watch from Directv so I can't see myself adding this one to all my other streaming lineups.
I think the real draw here is for those that are non-cable subscribers that had no way to access these channels previously. Ad-free may encourage some that truly want to binge watch some of the 55,000 episodes available. And we will have to wait and see what kind of exclusive discovery+ Originals they produce down the road.

·
Registered
143 Posts
How much longer does cable have left? Think in 10 years cable tv will be over?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much longer does cable have left? Think in 10 years cable tv will be over?
Cable TV is just a construct now. We can ala carte these streaming services, but we all end up paying Comcast, AT&T, Spectrum, COX and others for internet access to stream these services. They tack on a Data Cap charge and make most of their profit on the Internet side. We will pay way more for all these separate streaming services and then we will wish for 'the good 'ole days' of cable subscription bundles..... :whistle:

·
Administrator
19,592 Posts
The same old companies are still getting paid. They made sure of that.

Reactions: blade005

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Cable TV is just a construct now. We can ala carte these streaming services, but we all end up paying Comcast, AT&T, Spectrum, COX and others for internet access to stream these services. They tack on a Data Cap charge and make most of their profit on the Internet side. We will pay way more for all these separate streaming services and then we will wish for 'the good 'ole days' of cable subscription bundles..... :whistle:
Verizon says 5G will be the savior! As long as you are 3ft away from a transmitter that is only available in large cities.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Verizon says 5G will be the savior!
And Elon sees Space Internet as the savior. :D

But, more competition that is nation-wide and not geo-restricted might give us all some more pricing options if reliability can be demonstrated.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rivals Discovery and A+E Networks Forge Streaming Alliance

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Discovery+: 10 Most Anticipated Shows On The New Streaming Platform
With Discovery+, decorating, cooking, lifestyle, and more will be at each subscriber's fingertips. Which shows are most anticipated before launch?

BY ALLISON MCCLAIN MERRILL

Discovery+ arrives in January 2021, joining a streaming world that is already full of choices. The new service will be a hub for the content of channels like Discovery, HGTV, Food Network, TLC, Animal Planet, OWN, Lifetime, and ID. Those only scratch the surface of the networks included.

With so many networks involved, Discovery+ will hold the keys to many popular programs. Some of these are already on Hulu, but plenty of people will jump at the chance to have them all in one place. Decorating, cooking, lifestyle, and more will be at each subscriber's fingertips. Which shows are most anticipated before launch?

10: The Pioneer Woman

The Pioneer Woman is famous for being a show that grew out of a blog. Ree Drummond's whole life is with her family on an Oklahoma ranch, and tons of Food Network viewers watch her show religiously.

Ree isn't afraid to cook a hearty meal, and her creations are so appetizing and sensible. For people who decide to cancel cable, it will be so amazing to have this show on hand.

9: Duff's Happy Fun Bake Time

The name of this series alone makes the average home cook want to tune in. Duff Goldman, cake expert and Food Network favorite, will guide viewers through their own Happy Fun Bake Time.

He will go over cooking rudiments and explain why different flavors complement each other in recipes. There's also a rumor that he will be hanging out with Muppets, or Muppet-like friends.

8: Bobby And Giada In Italy

Some Food Network stars have already been tapped for original series exclusive to Discovery+. Bobby Flay and Giada di Laurentiis are two of the biggest names in the world of food television. They've been on Food Network for decades, and they're ready for a new venture.

They will be collaborating on a new show called Bobby and Giada in Italy, which takes the two Food Network Star judges through the culinary delights of Italy.

7: Property Brothers

HGTV fans have gotten used to Drew and Jonathan filling their living rooms with a predictable, but addictive, show. On Property Brothers, the brothers pair real estate know-how with hard manual labor to give families their dream homes.

People go into the series with great expectations and usually finish with a surprising but satisfying outcome.

6: Home Town

Ben and Erin Napier are the sweetest couple on HGTV, and their show is one of the most relaxing to watch. Home Town is set in the Laurel, Mississippi area and takes Erin and Ben on a wonderful journey where they give homeowners the spaces they've always dreamed of.

Ben is also a carpenter, so viewers can count on gorgeous woodworking projects. In fact, Ben will get a new series for Discovery+ called Home Town: Ben's Workshop. He will craft custom projects every week while talking with celebrity guests like Loni Love.

5: Magnolia Table

It's hard to think of a duo that has exploded in the lifestyle market more than Chip and Joanna Gaines. These Fixer Upper hosts have partnered with Discovery to take over the DIY Network and launch Magnolia Network.

Until the network is ready to make its cable debut, Discovery+ subscribers will get exclusive first looks at a Fixer Upper reboot as well as Joanna's new cooking show, Magnolia Table.

4: Counting On

When it comes to TLC and reality television, anything can happen. That's how a large Christian family from Arkansas became one of the most talked-about shows on the network. 19 Kids and Counting eventually gave way to Counting On, a series focusing on the older Duggar children and their spouses and families.

The show still manages to include most of the extended family, and the Duggars have a pretty devoted following of people who will look forward to streaming them on Discovery+.

3: 90 Day Bares All

90 Day Fiancé is another one of TLC's most notable programs.

Discovery+ is tapping into this popularity with 90 Day Bares All, a show focusing on what happens behind the scenes. Host Shaun Robinson will ask past couples a bunch of personal questions until no stone remains unturned.

2: Love & Marriage: Huntsville

It's good to know that Oprah Winfrey's programming is also a part of Discovery's streaming service. One of OWN's shows that is featured on the Discovery+ home page is Love & Marriage: Huntsville.

This series is about three influential African-American couples reviving the city of Huntsville, Alabama. Through The Comeback Group, the couples' real estate venture, they give their community new life and balance their personal lives at the same time.

1: Crikey! It's The Irwins

This Animal Planet series stars Terri, Bindi, and Robert Irwin as they go about their wildlife journeys and conservation missions. From a wildlife hospital to their 1,200 animals in the Australian Zoo, this family is a testament to Steve Irwin's legacy.

Those without cable will be thrilled to go on an adventure while watching Crikey! It's the Irwins.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
28 Posts
The app is now available on the Apple TV. Feedback so far...

-Does not support TV app integration

-There doesn’t seem to be 4K labels on the 4K content.

-It seems to check the tvOS frame rate matching setting, but it sets the TV to the wrong refresh rate. For example, the BBC docs should be streamed at 25fps. With tvOS frame rate matching turned on however, it keeps your refresh rate at 60Hz. When I manually set the refresh rate to 25Hz with frame rate matching still enabled and tested episode 1 of Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II, the refresh rate was changed to 60Hz. If I leave the refresh rate manually set to 25Hz and disable frame rate matching, the video motion looks correct to my eye for the most part (I’ll discuss that further in another point), so I think the video is being streamed at 25fps.

-When streaming episode 1 of Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II at 25Hz, there seems to be a somewhat frequent frame glitch. I’ve never seen frame glitching with 25fps video before, so that’s perplexing. I then tried my same test at 50Hz instead, and the frame glitching maybe seemed a little less noticeable, but I can’t say for sure.

Can someone with access to the Apple TV Playback HUD developer menu option confirm that the app is indeed streaming BBC content like Planet Earth II at 25fps?

Edit: Ignore my TV app integration point. It actually does support it. I guess Apple just hadn’t flipped the switch yet last night, since Discovery released the app a little early.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Roku And Amazon Confirmed Among Discovery+ Streaming Partners

I hope the statement in the article that it will be available via Prime VIdeo Channels 'down the line' is accurate. Would rather have it integrated in the Fire TV UI than having another standalone streaming app. If that is the case, I would think it would eventually come to Roku Channels and Apple TV Channels as well.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts