AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Discovery Plus Will Be Coming to Prime Video Channels Later This Year

Later this year, sounds like it might be awhile. Darn!!

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

·
Registered
162 Posts
My wife informed me that she wanted me to sign us up for this. She saw the ad last night and had no idea what the service was. When I told her that Discovery owns multiple channels and a lot of her favorite shows would have exclusives on the app, she wanted in on the deal. So we downgraded Hulu since we rarely use, and went with no commercial D+.

It integrated nicely with our Android TV and Chromecast w/ Google TV so she was happy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If that is the case, I would think it would eventually come to Roku Channels and Apple TV Channels as well.
I hope that ends up being the case, since it seems so far that Discovery isn’t very good at streaming video correctly. If they can’t figure out how to stream video in its native format without frame glitches, or they just don’t care enough to make the effort, then Apple, Amazon, etc. streaming their videos instead is our only hope.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I hope that ends up being the case, since it seems so far that Discovery isn’t very good at streaming video correctly. If they can’t figure out how to stream video in its native format without frame glitches, or they just don’t care enough to make the effort, then Apple, Amazon, etc. streaming their videos instead is our only hope.
One of the advantages of Prime Video Channel subscription is Match Frame Rate feature with content from Fire TV device.

I subscribe to Acorn TV, BritBox and Mhz Choice via Prime Video Channels and Fire TV seems to manage the 25fps rate of most of these shows with no problem. Still puzzled as to why other major streamers (Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max) do not support it as a feature you can toggle ON or OFF. It is not for everyone and some don't like the momentary 'blank screen' as frame rate is set, but it is OFF by default in Fire TV settings and you could do the same in individual apps.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
My wife informed me that she wanted me to sign us up for this. She saw the ad last night and had no idea what the service was. When I told her that Discovery owns multiple channels and a lot of her favorite shows would have exclusives on the app, she wanted in on the deal. So we downgraded Hulu since we rarely use, and went with no commercial D+.

It integrated nicely with our Android TV and Chromecast w/ Google TV so she was happy.
FYI. Verizon customers on select Wireless plans and/or select FIOS internet plans get the ad-free ($6.99/month) Discovery+ free for the first year. Don't know if that is something you guys might be able to take advantage of.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Will discovery+ be available outside of the U.S.?
The U.S. version of discovery+ will only be available to subscribers in the United States including American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Over time, we look forward to expanding the service around the world.
For anyone who's interested... The Discovery+ service was launched in the UK on Thursday 12 November 2020 : )

Link to UK service: discovery+

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Looks like they will
For anyone who's interested... The Discovery+ service was launched in the UK on Thursday 12 November 2020 : )

Link to UK service: discovery+
Also launched in India in April of 2020.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Looks like they will be bringing a version of LIVE TV channels to the service by the end of the month.

WHAT ARE DISCOVERY+ CHANNELS?
This new feature is coming to discovery+ by January 29. You'll be able to tune in 24/7 to non-stop streams featuring your favorite shows, like 90 Day Fiance, House Hunters, Chopped, Fixer Upper and more.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
I checked this out today. Looks to be just back catalog stuff. I do buy several of their shows from iTunes and was wondering if the current season of these shows were on the service. They weren't at least in my case. Its not something I value at all.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It's going to rely more on Original programming to draw people, all their "stars" will have D+ only series and other stuff that the normal channel won't. So the older stuff is just filler.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I checked this out today. Looks to be just back catalog stuff. I do buy several of their shows from iTunes and was wondering if the current season of these shows were on the service. They weren't at least in my case. Its not something I value at all.
If you currently have Discovery channels with a cable subscription and don't care about back catalog the value would be limited. This is an option for non-cable subscribers. 55,000 episodes and 2,500 tv series is a huge back catalog if you haven't watch many of these over the years. There will be new exclusive discovery+ content. The Magnolia Network landing page has new content as a teaser and you also get the BBC Natural History shows.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I'm bummed that one of my favorite shows on the Travel Channel, The Dead Files, is now behind a paywall on Discovery Plus.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
I'm bummed that one of my favorite shows on the Travel Channel, The Dead Files, is now behind a paywall on Discovery Plus.
Why do you believe it is only on discovery+? I still see THE DEAD FILES as an available show on PHILO. I would think it is still available from any cable subscription that carries the Discovery Channel networks.

It will be interesting to see if their content will continue to be licensed to other on-demand streaming services like HULU or if they eventually pull all that content back and make it available exclusively on discovery+ or via a cable subscription. I would think that will eventually happen. Just as NBC is pulling back their content for Peacock and Disney pulled all of their content back for Disney+.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
New episodes are streaming on Discovery Plus and not listed on Travel Channel.
Ah. Okay. I see that three episodes of Season 13 were released recently. Perhaps there is just a delay before they air on the actual Discovery Travel Channel.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

·
Registered
162 Posts
Our guilty pleasure is watching one or two of the 90 Days shows but I think they are overdoing it at this point and folks are gonna get burned out on it.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts