AVS Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Our guilty pleasure is watching one or two of the 90 Days shows but I think they are overdoing it at this point and folks are gonna get burned out on it.
Have not watched any of the 90 Days content, but they definitely seem 'all in' on it as a discovery+ franchise. All of these 90 Day spin-offs are disccovery+ exclusives.

·
Registered
28 Posts
For those that care about the video quality, I did some testing yesterday on the Apple TV with the developer menu playback HUD enabled, and it didn’t go well. The majority of the content they’re streaming is an altered 29.97fps U.S. cable TV version, instead of the video in its native format. So far it seems like the only content they’re not streaming at 29.97fps is some of the newer BBC content like Planet Earth II, Blue Planet II, Serengeti, Dynasties, and A Perfect Planet. They’re streaming those at the proper 25fps, but when I watched them a little bit yesterday at 25Hz and 50Hz, there was an annoying frame glitch at relatively frequent intervals. To add insult to injury, they’ve apparently labeled those videos with the wrong frame rate behind the scenes, so if you manually set your refresh rate to 25Hz or 50Hz, but leave the match frame rate setting enabled, the app will incorrectly change your refresh rate to 60Hz.

So basically they apparently put pretty much no effort into their video quality whatsoever. You’ll only get a decent experience with video that was originally shot at 29.97fps, like most of the Investigation Discovery content.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
So far it seems like the only content they’re not streaming at 29.97fps is some of the newer BBC content like Planet Earth II, Blue Planet II, Serengeti, Dynasties, and A Perfect Planet. They’re streaming those at the proper 25fps, but when I watched them a little bit yesterday at 25Hz and 50Hz, there was an annoying frame glitch at relatively frequent intervals.
Disappointing to hear that the 4K UHD content from BBC is so problematic. I have not viewed any of the 4K UHD content on my FTV4K device. I guess I may need to lower my expectations.

Amazon plans to make discovery+ available through its Prime Video Channel subscription model later in the year. The advantage of that on a FTV4K device with Match Frame Rate feature is that you get native fps playback. Unfortunately, every other service they offer via Prime Video Channels that offers 4K and/or UHD content support on their standalone app you lose via Prime Video Channel access.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

·
Registered
162 Posts
I found it funny last night that while watching one of the "exclusive" Disc+ shows that they are way more liberal with cussing and more adult situations vs. their normal channel. Not much is filtered.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I found it funny last night that while watching one of the "exclusive" Disc+ shows that they are way more liberal with cussing and more adult situations vs. their normal channel. Not much is filtered.
I remember reading that there was going to be an uncensored version of Amy Schumer cooking show.

Reactions: tenthplanet

·
Registered
303 Posts
My wife is a fan a lot of their current shows and I'm finally able to watch my my old favorites from DIY and HGTV commercial free. I understand it's not for everyone, but for our taste we consider this service to be one of the best bargains out there.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
My wife is a fan a lot of their current shows and I'm finally able to watch my my old favorites from DIY and HGTV commercial free. I understand it's not for everyone, but for our taste we consider this service to be one of the best bargains out there.
Agree. I haven't watched many of the HGTV and DIY shows religiously for years, so having this much back catalog commercial free is a value. Add in some of the A&E content from BBC Series and History channel and the planned Discovery+ Originals and it does offer a lot. Some will be disappointed that it can't be a one-for-one replacement of the cable subscription as they will hold some content back, but it is still a nice complement if the back catalog means something to you.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I'm bummed that one of my favorite shows on the Travel Channel, The Dead Files, is now behind a paywall on Discovery Plus.
Looks like you were correct about a number of Travel Channel shows moving to discovery+ service. Sounds like they are experimenting with windowing and will 'flip the script' and premiere some shows on the discovery+ streaming service and then they may eventually land on the linear cable channel.

Travel Channel Originals To Move To Discovery+ As Factual Giant Experiments With Windowing

Excerpt:
Deadline understands that a handful of Travel Channel originals, most notably in the paranormal space, will run first on the nascent streaming service rather than on the linear network.

While many of these shows will likely eventually air on the linear cable network, it’s a sign of a shift in thinking at the David Zaslav-run company.

The exact Travel Channel titles that are set to move to Discovery+ have not yet been set in stone but Deadline understands that new seasons of shows such as the long-running Ghost Adventures and The Dead Files are among those that are under consideration for the shift.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
When they moved new episodes of Restaurant Impossible to it. I bit. :) They are some interesting things in there.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
When they moved new episodes of Restaurant Impossible to it. I bit. :) They are some interesting things in there.
I think what has gotten lost in the launch is that it is not only Discovery Channel content, but they also signed licensing agreements with A&E Networks for some of their content. It is a nice broad selection of content. There are a lot of genres that I will never watch, but there are quite a few that have plenty of content to keep me engaged.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Discovery+ Picks Up Plastic Surgery Doc ‘They Call Me Dr. Miami’

·
Administrator
19,592 Posts
Thanks to my daughter subscribing to this, I now have it but can't find anything to watch. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: blade005

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Thanks to my daughter subscribing to this, I now have it but can't find anything to watch. :ROFLMAO:
LOL.

I haven't had these channels for years without a cable subscription. So, for me the back catalog of HGTV and DIY shows are plenty. Add in Planet Earth, Animal Planet and History Channel content and I should be binge safe for awhile. Commercial-free!!

WIll have to see where their focus is on particular genres when they start releasing exclusive Discovery+ Originals.

Reactions: Ryan Howard

·
Administrator
19,592 Posts
I haven't had these channels for years without a cable subscription.
That's my problem. I've had all these channels for years on Directv and almost never watch them. :)

The few shows I do watch, well...I've already seen them.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
41 - 59 of 59 Posts