AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far from my understanding DirecTV has defintiely said they won't have it, and Dish hasn't said either way. Please correct me if I'm wrong. So who exactly WILL have this channel, and how will it air on that date if no one is carrying it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Maybe all hope isn't lost for the future...here is the reply I got from DTV.


Thank you for your interest in high definition programming. We hope to

be able to offer Discovery Channel programming in high definition.

However, as it is DIRECTV policy not to disclose information about

upcoming programming until it is officially announced, we do not have a

date when we can expect it at this time. Please continue to visit our

web site at DIRECTV.com for the latest news and updates about our

service.


Keep hammering them with E-mails & maybe they'll get the hint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discovery Channel HD will be located on C-Band Satcom C4, available to any Cable TV company (which includes Directv and Dish Network) committing to HD broadcasts....

and possibly available with the use of a 4Dtv C-Band satellite receiver(BUD).....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sts3001
Discovery Channel HD will be located on C-Band Satcom C4, available to any Cable TV company (which includes Directv and Dish Network) committing to HD broadcasts....

and possibly available with the use of a 4Dtv C-Band satellite receiver(BUD).....
"Possibly" available with 4DTV? It's pretty much 99.9% certain. I'd upgrade that "possibly" to "extremely likely".


Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I forgot about all the BUD users. I should have known they would have it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,753 Posts
I would be very surprised if Dish does NOT carry it. They are probably in negotiations and will wait until all the loose ends are tied up. All they have to do is simply replace that "stupid" HD demo loop with the new Discovery channel and all will be happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
The Showtime HD announcement was only made 8 days before they added it, so we still have a few days left. I spoke with a CSR and they said, "well we just added a new satellite and we are going to try to bring as many stations to our viewers as possible". That probably means nothing, though.

Fletch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,156 Posts
Sadly, that's the same "canned" response they always give out. They just replaced "Showtime HD" with "Discovery Channel HD".

Quote:
Originally posted by mitoca
Maybe all hope isn't lost for the future...here is the reply I got from DTV.


Thank you for your interest in high definition programming. We hope to

be able to offer Discovery Channel programming in high definition.

However, as it is DIRECTV policy not to disclose information about

upcoming programming until it is officially announced, we do not have a

date when we can expect it at this time. Please continue to visit our

web site at DIRECTV.com for the latest news and updates about our

service.


Keep hammering them with E-mails & maybe they'll get the hint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fjerina
I would be very surprised if Dish does NOT carry it. They are probably in negotiations and will wait until all the loose ends are tied up. All they have to do is simply replace that "stupid" HD demo loop with the new Discovery channel and all will be happy.
Not so, the demo channel is displayed in all Dishnetwork contracted stores, such as Sears and Costco. Unlike HDNet, I don't think Discovery will agree to have its HD channel on a demo floor. So they will need a new transponder to carry it on subscription basis. Also there is no demo channel on the west coast 148 bird. It is possible they initially would add the channel to 61.5 only.


On the other hand, a look at the 61.5 and 148 maps, there is virtually no room available for one additional HD channel on 61.5, 148 can have one more if they switch the SDs around. Once their E8 spot beam is up, they can free up more transponders on both side birds but E8 is scheduled later in the year, 06/17 is around the corner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,161 Posts
Also, too many HD subs on the West coast can't get 61.5.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,098 Posts
The most logical place for Dish to add D-HD-T would be PPV channel 9428 which is available from both 61.5 and 148. It makes the most sense since this is where they are currently running the demo. In addition, the PPV selection is entirely lame.

http://echostar.swiki.net/286 shows hidden channels 9442 and 9445 at transponders 27 and 19 on the 61.5 bird. Can anyone shed any light on this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
back when a friend of mine had a test card, he would see those channels. I think both of those channels turned into CBS. They have several CBS feeds pending on where u live.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
Hardrock: I could certainly live without the HD PPV channel, since I've never watched it yet. However, if it's making them money, they're going to keep it. That is unless Discovery HD can somehow make them more money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,098 Posts
Fred,


From what I gather, PPV channel 9428 is not very popular with anyone. I would venture to say that HD PPV has been a losing proposition for Dish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,095 Posts
If they would put a decent movie on it once in a while it might do better. I never see any movies that I remotely want to see shown on that channel with the exception of the time they put Rush Hour II on.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top