AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am visting my father whom has a Dish 6000, and the DiscoveryHD channel displayed on a Mits 55" set. When viewing this channel, it seems like pan & scan is going on, as often the overlays and such are cropped off and the Discovery logo comes and goes. Is this normal or is there a setting not right with his STB? Ive ruled out the TV as its in 1080i mode and thus has no formatting available. HBO and Showtime look normal or normally upconverted.

Its driving me crazy that DiscoveryHD is not right, especially even when its own commericals are not right. I did manage to converge his 4 month old set and turn on his progressive scan DVD player so far though :)

Anyone have any ideas? Also, not sure if this is hardware or programming so its here, sorry if wrong room.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
The Discovery HD channel logo is supposed to appear intermittently. It's a pleasure watching this channel knowing that Discovery had the integrity to avoid an annoying persistent logo.

It's not pan and scan. It's too much overscan on the set you're watching. The entire logo is seen on my plasma set. It's NOT the channel's problem.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmm, maybe an overscan issue. I can see part of the logo when its there, which is why I was thinking P&S. There is the word "Stretched" on the onscreen display, but I can not figure out where this is coming from.

Anymore thoughts?

Steve

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DOPE!!! I figured it out. It was the * key. After all these months, my dad is now seeing 16:9 HD!!

The one small line in the manual didnt help much. Took two readings to catch that.

Steve

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Glad you got it figured out. On a related note however, it makes me sick when I go to best buy, good guys, etc and am watching whatever HD demo material they have going on all the sets. How do some manufacturers get away with 20% overscan? I was watching some PGA demo material at best buy the other day and one RPTV looked good, the PGA logo in the lower right wasn't even at the edge, maybe 5% up from bottom and right side. The RPTV right next to it only showed a sliver of the logo in the corner, the rest of it was overscanned. A Phillips Directview was the same way, way too much overscan. Then I looked at the pioneer plasma they had there and it had virtually no overscan, the PGA logo was about 7% in from the bottom and right hand side of the screen.

I wish manufacturers would either standardize the overscan amount and/or make it a easily changable option in the user menu... for all display types whether it's RPTV, plasma/lcd, or directview.

At my house with my 13HD LCD projector, I have about 2% overscan for my echostar 6000 receiver (1080i and 720p both). I had to set it though in the service menu and that was pretty tricky. My 480p from my DVD I set the same way. I would have opted for 0% overscan but when I watch OTA stations with my dish 6000 receiver, there is a line or two at the top of the screen which is staticy looking. I've been told that is data lines that contain the closed captioning info...

BOb C

Bob C

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.