AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to record this supposedly fantastic classical music concert video on the Panny EH50 and Pioneer 531 and compare. 3.5 hours record at XP to HDD's,divide into four segments and then burn 4 individual DVD-RW and DVD-RAM discs at hi speed. Too bad the Sonys can't do this :) link
http://dhd.discovery.com/schedule/we...=DHD&hhmm=2000

PS- Right after this program they(HD Discovery) reprise the 2004 Last of the Proms which is par excellent- I previously recorded that classical music program and it is incredible. Stunning and stupendous are understatements. Great record for your DVDR's. And I do not give a rats arse if as some say it is not 5.1 DVD-Audio - It soooooounds incredible on my 5 speakers plus . :) Separation is there baby.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGuy
I am going to record this supposedly fantastic classical music concert video on the Panny EH50 and Pioneer 531 and compare. 3.5 hours record at XP to HDD's,divide into four segments and then burn 4 individual DVD-RW and DVD-RAM discs at hi speed. Too bad the Sonys can't do this :) link

PS- Right after this program they(HD Discovery) reprise the 2004 Last of the Proms which is par excellent- I previously recorded that classical music program and it is incredible. Stunning and stupendous are understatements. Great record for your DVDR's. And I do not give a rats arse if as some say it is not 5.1 DVD-Audio - It soooooounds incredible on my 5 speakers plus . :) Separation is there baby.
Sounds good to me. Since HD Discovery is a high quality source, based on your earlier tests, it should be close, with the Pio possibly edging out the Panny. Let me recommend using LPCM on both recorders to preserve the great sound. Keep us posted...

Oh yeah, and get some sleep, will ya. Man cannot survive on videos alone ;)

·
Banned
2,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by probepro
Sounds good to me. Since HD Discovery is a high quality source, based on your earlier tests, it should be close, with the Pio possibly edging out the Panny. Let me recommend using LPCM on both recorders to preserve the great sound. Keep us posted...
I agree. These music recordings should be done in LPCM mode. Otherwise you are degrading the audio tenfold

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Quote:

And the winner was?

·
Banned
2,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg
And the winner was?
Don't hold your breath man. We get a lot of these teasers but don't hear all the results. I for one would love to hear which DVD recorder produces better AUDIO at LPCM mode btw the Pioneer and the Panny, especially since all music should be recorded in LPCM; and if there is any difference in VIDEO quality btw the 2 recorders at the LPCM mode. Now THAT would be a real world Average Joe comparison for those of us who love music concerts. But as I said...not holding my breath....

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK- I just finished - The Pio 531 won on video played back on TY's on the Panny XP-50 which was hooked up audio optically to a digital Panny receiver. The E50 was very good but the Pio beat it. I recorded both on PCM audio mode and I could tell no difference from my Panasonic digital receiver. The BBC does not record these concerts at 5.1 as far as I know(although I did get surround sound from all 5 of my speakers though not discrete. I believe it is regular Dolby 2.0. These classical concerts are so good it almost does not matter the DVDR. Even a VCR would increase your brain grey matter- They are that good.

·
Banned
2,239 Posts
Quote:
OK- I just finished - The Pio 531 won on video played back on TY's on the Panny XP-50 which was hooked up audio optically to a digital Panny receiver. The E50 was very good but the Pio beat it. I recorded both on PCM audio mode and I could tell no difference from my Panasonic digital receiver. The BBC does not record these concerts at 5.1 as far as I know(although I did get surround sound from all 5 of my speakers though not discrete. I believe it is regular Dolby 2.0. These classical concerts are so good it almost does not matter the DVDR. Even a VCR would increase your brain grey matter- They are that good.
Don't they broadcast these in digital stereo? If so, that's where you'd want to use the LPCM mode to get uncompressed audio. The audio bit rate for LPCM is over 10 times that of DD 2.0, which is very inferior in terms of sound quality. A good home theater system should reveal the LPCM audio signal as more open, airy, more presence, more dynamics. But you're right, both recorders should sound similar in the LPCM mode, although Pioneer has always been known for its audio quality, esp their DVD players. Of course, no DVD recorder yet would be able to record a 5.1 signal anyway if they are broadcasting these in 5.1.

Do these classical concerts ever do Bruckner symphonies? I don't have Hi def yet. I am a big Bruckner fan--you talk about some dynamic thundering symphonic music that will make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.