AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide between the VSX-1123-k receiver and the SC-1227-K receivers.

The 1127 is last years model, if I'm not mistaken, made just for Futureshop stores here in Canada sporting the D3 amp.

The 1123-K is this years model, has a plethora of connectivity features and sports the Discrete Direct Energy amp.

I'm trying to decide between the two, I'm kind of on the fence.

Besides the obvious of the D3 pushing more power per channel, can anyone tell me the difference between the Pioneer Discrete Direct Energy amps and the D3 amps?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
The D3 amps use a switch mode power supply like all Class D amps, and is a little noisy, kinda sounds like a computer video card while gaming with its coil whine. But its more efficient than the 1123k which is just standard Class A/B.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Beside power efficiency, noise, heat generation, and power output are there any noticeable sound quality differences between the A/B vs D class amplifiers?

What can i expect from and AB in the high, mid, and low fq reproduction, vs the D3?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I read somewhere online that class A/B has better low frequency reproduction, don't know how much truth that holds. I ended up going with an A/B class amplifier, I'm super happy with the 1123 K unit. Amazing sound.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts