AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monoprice 4x1 HDMI switcher with digital audio out. It's an awsome little box. But to fully control it, I'm trying to dermine the discrete control codes to turn it on/off. If it can be done. Is it possible to capture an IR command and export it as HEX? If so, using what software/hardware.

I have Noviiremote on my PDA, but it won't output HEX. And I'm trying to program a URC-MX500.

·
Registered
15,402 Posts
 IR Widget

Are you certain there are discrete on/off codes? I can't imagine ever needing to turn such a switch on and off. I'd think you'd just be interested in switching inputs.

If you learn to use JP1 software like Remote Master and MakeHex, you can search for Monoprice HERE and use those codes.

All that being said, couldn't you just learn most of the codes from the original remote? So you only need to learn 4 commands, right?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. I'm not certain. But I am hopeful - FWIW. If I can get a look at the HEX for toggling the power, at least I can experiment from there.

Thanks for the link. I'm well aquainted with JP1. Shame the MX500 isn't compatible. But, of course, there are work-arounds.

The remote for the switch only has the one power button (like so many other things), which doesn't necessarily preclude the possibility of discrete ON/OFF capablitiy.

EDIT: It never occurred to me to just leave the box on all the time! But then, if you've ever seen one, the LEDs are INSANELY bright!

·
Registered
15,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweller /forum/post/18279581

...It never occurred to me to just leave the box on all the time! But then, if you've ever seen one, the LEDs are INSANELY bright!

The first thing I did to mine was cover them all with electrical tape so they wouldn't burn a hole in my retinas

I have an older monprice 4x1 without optical and it uses NEC1 35.69, OBC's 3, 37, 7, 9, 1, 19, 17 for 1, 2, 3, 4, Power, Ch+ and Ch- respectively. Don't know if the newer switches have different codes or not. You can plug that info into MakeHex and get pronto hex. My switch is auto sensing. So even though I programmed all those codes into my remote, I ended up taking them out of my macros since I don't really need them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej /forum/post/18280000

The first thing I did to mine was cover them all with electrical tape so they wouldn't burn a hole in my retinas

I have an older monprice 4x1 without optical and it uses NEC1 35.69, OBC's 3, 37, 7, 9, 1, 19, 17 for 1, 2, 3, 4, Power, Ch+ and Ch- respectively. Don't know if the newer switches have different codes or not. You can plug that info into MakeHex and get pronto hex. My switch is auto sensing. So even though I programmed all those codes into my remote, I ended up taking them out of my macros since I don't really need them.

Thanks, again. That's handy info. If it turns out the box won't accept discrete ON/OF codes, I rip 'er open and insert a resistor or two to tone those suckers down a bit. Then I'll just leave it on.

I did the electrical tape thing as soon as I got it and put pinholes in it so I could tell what was selected. I still have to remind my Mrs., "Don't stare at the LEDs!"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts