AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears to me that even a low-end discrete graphics adapter (eg. Radeon HD 3450) can do 1080p quite well, provide decode assistance for all the common codecs, and is quite cheap. On the other hand, it appears that any discrete graphics uses a lot of power.

I see that the latest Intel integrated graphics can now also do 1080p and video decode assistance.

I haven't seen any power consumption figures for the integrated graphics that can be compared to the discrete graphics, but my impression is that the integrated graphics will use much less power then the discrete.

The conclusion I would draw is that, if I care about 1080p and power efficiency, and do not care about gaming, then I should definitely prefer the G45 chipset over any discrete graphics solution, with the possible exception of something like the EEEBox B204 (which I would consider but it is not available yet).

Am I correct?

If so, then maybe I'll just look for an off-the-shelf G45 PC rather then building something myself.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
If you do not care about 24Hz, then the G45 is an amazing chipset. I highly recommend it.

The integrated graphics do use less power than any add-on card will use.

I would stay away from the 3xxx ATI cards, because they are limited to 2 channel PCM. The 4xxx cards can do all 8. The 780G integrated graphics can only do 2 channel PCM as well. The 8300/8400 nVidia and G45 Intel integrated graphics both do 8 channel PCM.

I love my G45.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
if you do not care about gaming, then yes, intergrated GPU's are a better choice for HTPC, IMHO. Like cybrsage, I to have the P5Q-EM, and it has been working very well for the month or so that I have had it. Though to be fair, the only Blu-Ray I have tried have been The Dark Knight and Hellboy2 (converted to MKV), though both played without a hitch.

·
Registered
241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwavel /forum/post/15447430

If so, then maybe I'll just look for an off-the-shelf G45 PC rather then building something myself.

Yes but consider Nvidia (Intel CPU) and AMD (for AMD cpu) integrated graphics too.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Question. Are the IGPs good enough yet to do High Quality Deinterlacing without stuttering yet (like ATI vector adaptive)? Last time I checked they were good for 1080p but struggled with 1080i.

·
Registered
232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. /forum/post/15449799

Question. Are the IGPs good enough yet to do High Quality Deinterlacing without stuttering yet (like ATI vector adaptive)? Last time I checked they were good for 1080p but struggled with 1080i.

IMHO--NO!

I tried 780G and G45 and both have problems if you use higher setting, they are just fine for blueray playback, for all else--not really.. I have sat card on the PC and couldnt use anything other than bob and weave on the integrated-- what times even that was bad.. ATI 4600 has no such problems.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. /forum/post/15449799

I don't use my HPTC for Live TV or DVR, so I am not sure about that, but I do have some 1080i torrents of some TV shows (don't yell at me) and they play just fine. So far, I have not come across a single video file I cannot play back perfectly. For reference, I have an E8400 CPU as well.

·
Registered
106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytoronto /forum/post/15450422

IMHO--NO!

I tried 780G and G45 and both have problems if you use higher setting, they are just fine for blueray playback, for all else--not really.. I have sat card on the PC and couldnt use anything other than bob and weave on the integrated-- what times even that was bad.. ATI 4600 has no such problems.

Thx for the detailed response. It's often hard to get good information on the subject of interlacing as many people either don't watch anything interlaced or are happy with poor deinterlacing quality.

·
Registered
573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage /forum/post/15447589

If you do not care about 24Hz, then the G45 is an amazing chipset.

I thought 24hz was back with the later drivers? It is working on my G33....

·
Banned
7,964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmone /forum/post/15452730

I thought 24hz was back with the later drivers? It is working on my G33....

It could be. I do not have 24Hz display, so I have not followed the entire story on it.

It very well might be back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts