AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at my f/w revision last night and I am at 671 or something like that. I have put the update to ask me first.

I hear they have newer f/w that just came out again. Should I update? If so, what steps? Do I have to turn off the ask me first? Didnt see anyway to do it manually.

Thanks

dave

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have the 5000 and no idea what firmware version I have. After one year I never saw a message about a firmware update. How do I find out about updates and updating? Thanks.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,640 Posts
The history is this:

Software version 740 was sent by Echostar back in March. It was supposed to add four digit channel numbers to the favorites guide and correct a few minor bugs to the previous 671 software.

Not all 5000's got 740, but for many that did, it was bad from the beginning. Worse case, some people lost HDTV channels. A work-around for HDTV was discovered, but other bugs remained.

On April 25th, Echostar sent version 741. SteveS at DBS Forums provided the following info: "It was supposed to fix HDTV adapter problems and correct start times and info screen on local link OTA MAJOR network prime time (that's NBC, ABC, and CBS only). The info screen start times changing with the current time has not been fixed for local link OTA PBS, FOX, WB, and UPN. They are waiting to see if 7.41 works. Then they will spool another rev that fixes those channels."

Since then, what seems like random 5000 units are chosen to get 741. The link below at DBS Forums has more information on this: http://www.dbsforums.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/002753.html

My 5000 was set not to accept new software, including 740, and I have not been offered 741, so I'm still happily on 671.

Whether or not you should accept an update for your 5000 is not clear. Apparently the success of these updates is based on the date of manufacture of your particular 5000. I would say if it works now, leave it alone and set the unit to "Ask before accepting". Hopefully at some point in the future, Echostar will sort this all out and send a last update for the fading 5000. I prefer to let others take the hit before I do, past experence with Echostar bears out this approach.

Software version, and your choice to either have the unit accept any new software Echostar sends or to ask you before accepting, are all found in the menu. I'm not in front of my unit now, but I think both can be found under System Setup. I'll confirm this later today.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,640 Posts
To find the Software Version your Dish 5000 is running:

Go to Main Menu

go to # 6 System Setup

go to #1 Installation

go to #3 System Info, and there you have it.

To tell the 5000 not to Accept New Upgrades:

Go to Main Menu

go to #6 System Setup

go to # 5 Preferences

go to #4 System Upgrades

Select "Ask before downloading", "save", and there you have it.

From that point on, if an upgrade comes from Dish, when you first turn the unit on, you will get a screen message asking you if you want to 1) accept the upgrade, 2) or not, 3) or just to cancel the message. Select not to accept the upgrade and your system will continue to function as it has in the past.

If you accept the upgrade, it may work fine or even better than before, it may not.

If you cancel the message, it will appear again the next time you turn on the 5000.

If you leave the receiver on all the time, it will not accept System Upgrades. No matter what setting you choose, you will never see the Upgrade message.

------------------

tm

·
Premium Member
12,978 Posts
Quote:
If you leave the receiver on all the time, it will not accept System Upgrades. No matter what setting you choose, you will never see the Upgrade message.
Then if you shut the machine off, but leave it plugged in, it will accept the updates, but will ask first?

Somedays, I'm a bit dense and this seems to be one of them. If the receiver is set to ask and it will only ask if it is shut off, how the heck are you going to notice the asking and respond if it is off? If it is on it won't ask no matter what the setting, right?

BTW- I have mine set to ask and keep the 5000 on 24-7.

My F/W is still at: 673PBTEA.... Anyone know when that version came out?

------------------

Don Landis

Home Theater Pics at: www.scubatech.com Last updated 3/25/01

·
Registered
45,640 Posts
After an Upgrade, the next time you turn it on, you automaticially get a message.

If you are set for "Ask before..." it informs you that you now have the option of the Upgrade. Then you decide.

If you are set for "Always accept...", it just tells you it's done.

I think if you leave it on long enough without acting, it goes away by itself. I'm a little unsure about this last part.

------------------

tm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.