AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found one through a private party. Are there any dealers who sell these ?

Dish 5000 Receiver with HDTV Modulator

Also does this have a regular OTA interface or do you have to buy that as an add on on the (now) gray market.

Alex

I previously stated that this had something to with DTC-100. I was ignorantly misguided. I thought the DTC-100 was the actual receiver branded as the Dish 5000. Who actually makes the Dish 5000 reciever ?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I am not familiar with the hookup particulars, but the answer to your first question is ebay. They are regularly up to sale but not cheap. A friend who does have one says that the prices are going down, however. Note that the 5000 may be nonfunctional after this fall due to a change in Dish's transmissions. Check other postings.

- Phil Klein

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got it for 850 on EBAY anyone else with this question check the classifieds. I could have saved a hundred there...

Hope I don't get jacked in the fall...

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ahagen

Dish 5000 DTC-100 HDTV Modulator

Also does this have a regular OTA interface or do you have to buy that as an add on on the (now) gray market.

Alex
In a direct sense, the HD Modulator for the 5000 has nothing to do with the DTC-100.

It only enables the 5000 to receive the Dish Network HD signals, modulate and output them in the 8VSB format.

In an indirect sense, you still need a DTV tuner, like the DTC100 to decode the DISH HD Modulated 8VSB signals. The DTC-100 will also receive & decode local DTV stations and DirecTV standard & HDTV channels.

Did you buy both an 5000 HD Modulator & DTC-100 for $850? That would be a good deal. The Modulator by itself normally goes between $700-$900.

The reason the 5000 Modulator is so much is that it allows for HDTV recording, if you have the other necessary equipment (Dish 5000, HDTV capable DVHS VCR & IEEE1394 equipped stb). If you are not interested in HDTV recording, there are better, less expensive ways to get HDTV.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.