AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any idea of when the new modulation technique will be employed for all of Dish Network's HD content? I'm weary of getting the 61.5 dish installed (Not even sure if I have LOS!!), and then paying $$$ for a setup, and then it not working for more than a month -- that would really upset me.

Bottom line: Is it really worth the cash? And if so, what's the max you'd say would be a reasonable price to pay on E-bay?

Thanks a lot

-Matt

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol, thanks for the vote of confidence. :D

Basically it comes down to, assuming it can be had for a not-so-outrageous price, is it worth it, or is it going to be obsolete in a week?

-Matt

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Sorry for the comment, but your question has been asked for the last year.

No one knows. So it all comes down to what price is worth it to you with none of us knowing how long it will be up. Since no one has heard anything, it would be a shock if it were before their PVR ships which who knows when that would be. So, fair price, I would say go for it. I have two setups and use all the time, assuming my JVC deck is working.

dave

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the line about "assuming my jvc deck is working" -- I just saw the troubles everyone is having...I'm sorta glad I didn't buy a DVHS recorder. I'm quite happy with my myHD setup so far, but it seems kinda difficult to get any other method than OTA into it -- ie, BUD, or any other method other than Dish 5000.... So it'd be best to grab everything while I can...

-Matt

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Unless you can get the 5000 receiver and mod for say $200, it's not worth it. You won't be able to record enough movies over the next few months to make the purchase worthwhile.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmm, that seems highly unlikely unless someone here was to sell it for somewhere around that price -- I'm looking on ebay now, anyone have any other suggestions?

-Matt

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
Unless you can get the 5000 receiver and mod for say $200, it's not worth it. You won't be able to record enough movies over the next few months to make the purchase worthwhile.
Considering that it costs $20-$30 to purchase a low-resolution DVD, he would come out ahead if he taped only 15-20.

I think he will have enough time in a few months to tape at least 100 movies.

bb

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Quote:
I think this statement is way off the mark. I bought a 5000 w/modulator about four months ago for $350. I thought that was a great deal so I grabbed it and just put it away with the intention of waiting for the Samsung 165 to be released. Now the 165 was finally released and I've been recording HD movies for about a month. In that month alone I have recorded about 30 HD movies from HBO, SHO, and PPV.

Considering that it's generally accepted that the modulator won't be shut down until the PVR921 is released, that the 921 is tentatively scheduled for 2Q 2003 release, and the fact that no HD STB ever makes it out by the release date, I expect to get at least six more months of use out of the modulator, and quite possibly more.

With a conservative estimate of 15-20 movies a month, I will end up with a library of 100-150 movies by the time the modulator is finally shut down. How much would you pay for an HD movie? Let's say for argument's sake that an HD movie costs $20 (D-Theater movies cost a lot more than that). I therefore will end up with about $2,000-$3,000 worth of HD movies for an investment of about $700 = $350 for the 5000 w/modulator, $150 for seven months of HBO and SHO (which I would've had anyway), and $200 in tape stock (I buy one-pass Fuji SVHS tapes at $1.35 ea.).

$2,000-$3,000 worth of HD movies for a $700 investment. Who is going to tell me that that is not a great deal?

PS. See ya later. Gotta go tape "Enemy at the Gates" and "Hannibal" tonight. :D

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vic -

I'm going to have to agree on this -- I think if I can find it for a reasonable price, I'm going to get it...I just got a DVD writer, and ordered 100 DVD-Rs. :D

So, I should have plenty of room for movies...and you're right, the investment would pay off in movies, even for only 6 months to a year.

-Matt

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Opinions are subjective. I gave MY opinion. I stand by it. Good luck to anyone that jumps in with this recording nightmare.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Opinions are subjective. I gave MY opinion. I stand by it. Good luck to anyone that jumps in with this recording nightmare.

I never said it wasn't going to be a nightmare -- but, then again, tell me ANYWHERE I can record to my PC or even D-VHS from HDTV aside from:

OTA - Done - MyHD card

Dish - Dish 5000 + Modulator -> MyHD Card

DirecTV - DTC 100 + 169time mod -> D-VHS ($$$$$)

Cable: CABLEVISION STINKS - iO (Interactive Optimum) - Firewire? Component? Who knows..

Assuming Firewire -> DVHS

BUD - 4dtv - Component Output

- Integra 910 - (ABC, NBC, WB iirc) - Component Out

- Motorola Commercial 4:2:2 Decoder (CBS and Someone else)

Bottom Line for BUD: No way to record.

So, OTA is viable, Dish is viable. I don't consider any of the other options viable, as they either require D-VHS or W-VHS. I will not spend the money on D-VHS with the nightmare stories I'm hearing about the JVC 30k...(Not that I have the money to spend in the first place -- I want to get the 61.5 dish installed, a Dish 5000 box, and an OTA antenna installed...thats all I'm buying for the next 6+ months...)

So, tell me, where am I going to get anything other than the first three methods?

-Matt

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Quote:
I'm curious, Matt. What exactly is it that you consider a nightmare? It has been pretty straightforward for me.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vruiz
I'm curious, Matt. What exactly is it that you consider a nightmare? It has been pretty straightforward for me.
Vic,

You need to understand that some of us are in JVC 30K owner hell with all the problems we are having with our decks. I was in HD bliss for about two months and then all of sudden my unit wanted to go south for the Winter. I have had two bad decks and one into the service center and back already and it crapped out in less than 10 hours. Matt's deck is also in for repair. Will it hold up when he gets it back? Probably not if they put the same pinch roller in his unit they put in mine.

I used to be one of the more vocal supporters of this deck even to the point where I would argue with other members over it telling them how wrong they are about the JVC back when the grumbling started. I've spent the last two weeks taking my foot out of my mouth. I can't help but think the vast majority of these decks are living on borrowed time, since it suffers from a poorly designed tape transport.

If you are using something other than a JVC then great. But if you are using a JVC then I don't think it will be too long before you go to play those "Gates" and "Hannibal" tapes and your screen is a pixelated mess. Then the next thing you know you are doing the Pine Brook, New Jersey shuffle like some of us are.

Best of luck to you.

--Jerome

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Jerome, I agree with you totally, but I have 5 of these darn things I purchased at 1250 each. Talking to service isnt going to cut it for me.

Not with the work I put in with them in the past. And NO way am I sending my deck back without a specific game plan on what they are going to do, why, how long it will take, measure of success of failure. If all they will do is put a new pinch roller in, I already have three in a box I paid over a hundred bucks for. So, will see if Engineering calls me tomorrow.

And great, if they want to look at my deck since it failed and I have a tape, great. But send me a new loaner first, then they can mess with it as long as they want.

Dave

·
Registered
858 Posts
I think they (JVC) are becomming aware that their is a real problem. When I called today they thought that I had already talked to them about the problem. We need to keep calling and being a PITA until they come up with a solution.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Jeff,

The new pinch roller they put in my deck is making a squeaking noise (read: friction). Can you believe it?

--Jerome

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Jeff, when I talked to Marek today, he says they have seen or heard of very few issues. As you said, we need to crank up the volume. You MUST call Merak, since this is his project now, and get on his list and the correct place to send you deck to be fixed.

Jerome, at this point, I dont want to be their test case. Wheres the analysis? If they change a part, there had better be some good data as to why. I want to see some good engineering!!

Lets get real real visible. Otherwise, nothing will happen. I thought they would work with me, but its not looking good.

Dave

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lol this thread has degenerated to another JVC problems thread.

See, this is why I avoid D-VHS. :(

-Matt

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.