AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got home and when I turned on my Dish 5000 receiver it said that there is new software upgrade available. I decided not to take it until I know what it does.

Did anyone take the download? My software version is 742.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Yes, I took it. 743 is the version, I can't see any difference. Everything seems to work fine, so far.

If I was more paranoid, I would say the MPAA was downloading an anti-recording patch. Wait a minute...

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I got the same message on Sunday but from day 1 I set the thing to 'ask permission' and I denied this download.

My 5000 is used almost exclusively for recording HD material. It works perfectly fine the way it is and I am NOT taking any chance that they disable my HD Modulator.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ken H,

Does your HDTV modulator still work?. I may be paranoid, but these idiots at MPAA might want Dish Network to disable it.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Fortunately for me, works just like before. If I were you, I wouldn't take it either.

I accepted it by accident. I was trying to get CBS-HD activated and at that moment the CSR was working on it, the message showed up on the screen. I thought the download was required to add the new channel. As it turned out, this was wrong.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I have 743 too by accident, no problemo, no observed differences.

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator, DirecTV + 128 hour SVR-2000 TiVo

HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE, AccessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile

Kenwood VR-407 receiver & subwoofer, nOrh 4.0 marble center speaker
s>

·
Registered
272 Posts
Again, I updated to the latest version and I can still record HD content just fine. You guys are paranoid. Probably the 5000 doesn't even have enough ram in it to support a software upgrade with copy protection technology. It's bogged down enough the way it is and I really doubt that anyone at Dish is wasting their time writing code to piss off nerds like us...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.