AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Chris thanks for the link to the article. As the author of the article it took quite a bit of research to get the answers, but I guess my research paid off as Dish Network confirmed everything I found out.

How do Dish 5000 owners feel about this issue?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
FWIW, I didn't see the word "will" used in the statement from the Echostar representative. He used the word "may", i.e., no date right now when the old HD channels will be shut off, although it probably will happen someday.

The 5000 is an obsolete product as far as Echostar is concerned, in spite of its utility to those wishing to record satellite-based HD content. They no longer sell it. And it probably is impossible to add on an adapter that supports a new modulation scheme, as they can with the 6000. Not that I would expect them to do so even if they could.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
I was told by my souces that the entire mailing out of the Dish 6000 Broadcom adapters will occur in the fall, with the normal HD stream shut off in November.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Sounds like a scam to me. Make it sound like it's a good thing when in fact it's probably just a way to incorporate down-rezzing capability into the 6000 (which it hasnt been proven one way or the other if it currently has) and an excuse to shut off the 5000's mod.

Theres no other reason to do it at this point because it's not like theres an explosion of HD channels yet available to Dish anyway, and once their spot beams are in place they'd have ample space on the side slots for any would-be HD. Not to mention the merger still pending which would also give them some extra bandwidth were it to go through.

·
Registered
13,761 Posts
Wow. All those folks who spent big bucks recently are going to smacking their head against a wall. :( Bummer.

But this also means no chance for a firewire module for the 6000. They had best not be messing with our component outputs!!

·
Premium Member
13,007 Posts
Well Scott, I don't mean to rain on your brief moment of messenger boy, AKA "DBS EXPERT" fame here but I do have a few questions about this.

The article that describes this proposal to shut down the 5000 was written by you, right? Not a Dishnetwork spokesperson. By your link to your site, you admit hope that some others will publish the article you wrote, right?

I'm not saying what you wrote is not true or is true, it just needs confirmation from a reliable source from DishNetwork to be credible who can go on the record.

Therefore I have sent a link to what you wrote to Dan Landreth, Echostar for confirmation. If anyone would know about this he would.

Additionally, I don't understand how in one statement you can claim to not know when this will happen and in another only moments later, you seem to know the dates of the shutoff as November.

I want to know what is real and what is imagined by you.

Now for my opinion on how I feel about this as an owner of a 5000 based recording system:

Considering that your claim is true Scott, I am hopeful that my current plans to move up to the PVR921 or similar will come along just in time so that this proposed move that you claim will happen will coincide with my own plans to switch to the PVR anyway.

PS- If I don't hear back from Dan in a reasonable time I have three other contacts at E* but these are not directly connected to engineering.

Wishful thinking for some- Maybe E* could design a new HDTV modulator for the 5000 that incorporate the new decompression schemes and make these available to only those who have the 5000 subscribed. I believe the number I was given as slightly over 30,000 HDTV modulators sold before they stopped making them but this was not from a reliable source in E* sales. It was from a subcontractor.

·
Premium Member
13,007 Posts
Quote:
They no longer sell it. And it probably is impossible to add on an adapter that supports a new modulation scheme, as they can with the 6000. Not that I would expect them to do so even if they could.
BarryO-

Actually, E* just recently released a whole bunch of Dish5000 factory refurbs for sale with cards. I know as I bought one. They sold for $150. Also, I would never claim that something is impossible through the expansion port. My guess is that port is quite capable of doing it if they want to. And this would also include making a module that output DVI and 1394, if they wanted to.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Don,

My contact fot this was Marc Lumpkin of Echostar. Marc is the spokesperson for Echostar.

I submitted my article to them before posting.

It should be noted that my contacts suggested that the Dish 6000 upgrade module would contain extra memory so that the Dish 6000 could be upgraded to OpenTV, Mr Lumpkin said that no additional memory would be included with the upgrade and OpenTV is not planned for the Dish 6000.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Again here is what the Echostar Spokeperson said.

Quote:
When asked for a statement from Echostar on these rumors Echostar spokesman Marc Lumpkin had this statement.

“EchoStar is working hard to increase its HD channel capacity to the benefit and enjoyment of its customers. We believe this goal can be best accomplished by adding an HD adapter to the DISH Network Model 6000. Unfortunately, this may make the combination Model 5000 with the HD adapter eventually obsolete, but, fortunately, the number of these customers affected is very small. EchoStar is still evaluating as to when it will convert to the new HD modulation format.â€
I dont know what the issue is. Thats direct from Echostar.

Scott

DBStalk.COM

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
It also seems kind of strange that they'd go through all the R&D of a product like that especially at this point and then offer to (have to) give it away no less. The PVR 921 must obviously have it already incorporated when it hits the streets. Why not just save all the other hassles and offer an upgrade path to that unit with an offer that 6000 users couldnt refuse. It's not like the average 6000 user isnt dying for an HD PVR anyway. And it's not like the 6000 doesnt leave something to be desired in other ways anyhow in alot of peoples minds.

And finally, there cant be a ton of 6000's out there to begin with (to hear the CEA tell it anyway when refering to the number of HD capable receivers in use) compared to all their SD receivers.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
DP1, we are getting Dish 6000's confused with the 5000's.

The Dish 6000 with get a free upgrade module with the new Broadcom chips. The Dish 5000 will not be getting anything, when the regular HD broadcast go away (I am hearing November) only people with the Dish 6000 (or a newer box such as the JVC model or the Dish 921) with the upgrade module will still get the HDTV Channels from Dish.

Being the politicialy correct company Dish is they won't come out and tell people with Dish 5000's the reason they wont be getting the HDTV channels on their 5000's anymore is to make the people at the MPAA happy.

Also note to Don, my article was also submitted to Mark Jackson VP of Engeneering for Echostar.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I'm not getting it confused. I'm reading you loud and clear. I'm saying to retrofit all the 6000's out there and no true benefit to me, and a great cost to them sounds fishy. Why are they even bothering. As I said, give me a fair upgrade path to a 921 with the money they're using for R&D of this add on and we'll both be better off. Then people can just use the 6000 as a secondary regular SD receiver from Dish and an OTA digital tuner if they so choose.

Dont we feel that a large number of 6000 users that are really into HD to begin with are going to just upgrade to a 921 anyway?

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
There is a big savings to them by upgrading the 6000 users to the Broadcom chips. Currently they run 5 HDTV Channels (Demo, HBO, Showtime, PPV and CBS.) Doing this takes up 3 transponders of space.

With the broadcom setup they could add another channel (such as Dscovery HD) and actually stop using one transponder. (3 Channels Per Transponder)

I am not sure if I would like a 921 or not. However if the 921 had dual tuners then I may be interested. :D

·
Registered
357 Posts
My experience with DISH is that they have difficulty in speaking truthfully. I was misled into believing that I would have my local Baltimore Stations almost 3 years ago!

If they obsolete my 5000 it may be a wonderful opportunity to switch to DirecTV. I am opposed to the merger with DISH because I feel that Charlie Ergen cannot be trusted.

·
Premium Member
13,007 Posts
Scott et al:

I have now confirmation from my contact at E* Here is what Dan said-

Don:

The article is close to accurate. Mark Lumpkin's quoted response appears to

be correct.

We MAY move HD programming over to an 8PSK carrier format from the current

QPSK. The tuner in the Model 5000 cannot receive 8PSK but we have an

ability to provide a plug in for the Model 6000 to allow it to receive the

8PSK carrier. This is not an easy way to upgrade the Model 5000 directly.

There were some personal stuff that followed but this is aparently official as I can get from E*.

I have followed up with some suggestions and comments as follows and will let you know what is said when I receive his answer.

Here were, in part, my suggestions:

If you drop support for the 5000 with HDTV modulator then I would hope that

you will have the proposed PVR921 ready as a replacement for the 5000. I

will be a candidate for this product as soon as it is out. The Tuner I use

the 5000 with is the Panasonic TuDST50.

I know you will make a lot of people unhappy if you kill the 5000/HDTV

modulator and do not have the features of PVR921 ready for a replacement.

As an alternative, I would like to suggest that every engineering effort be

made to offer an adapter for the 5000 that includes the HDTV modulator with

the 8PSK carrier capability.

My own comments about this:

I found the biggest emphasis Dan lent to the confirmation of the article was the difference between the definite death of HDTV on the QPSK carrier that Scott has reported and the "MAY" in caps that Dan stated. I don't want to try to read between the words here as all this is breaking news before a release officially by E* anyway. It is just Scott's insider info in an article he conjered up partially confirmed by one of my acquaintences at E*

It is one more little issue we all must keep in proper perspective until it is official. In the meantime, those of us who love to record with the 5000 system will continue as usual. Much can happen between now and the day they shut off QPSK for 61.5.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Well actually unless lyngsat is incorrect they're currently using 5 transponders for those 5 HD channels because theres no 2 HD channels on any particular transponder. So they could get 2 1/2 freebies tomorrow according to them if they'd put 2 per transponder under the current scenario as they seem to claim they could do.

Oh well, I'm not going to argue about it. I just think it's strange that they would be doing that to a receiver thats not exactly state of the art these days. Now if they were adding true new functionality to an end user at the same time, like it having a firewire port or something, then I might feel differently.

·
Registered
383 Posts
As a Dish 6000 owner I would rather have a credit to wards the purchase of a 921. ( about $600 would be fine :) )

Since there is no way to record with a 6000, its going into storage the minute the 921 arrives, so i'm not that interested in any "upgrade" to the 6000 unless that upgrade includes the ability to record

That's gotta be easier than upgrading all the existing 6000 owners for free. There must be over 100,000 Dish 6000s out there.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Quote:
It is just Scott's insider info in an article he conjered up partially confirmed by one of my acquaintences at E*
Don please get your head out of the sand. My information CAME FROM ECHOSTAR from about the top of the food chain you can get besides hearing it from Charlie himself. I don't understand what part of this you don't understand.

Nothing "conjered up"

I am willing to bet your contact "Dan" works below Mark Jackson and Marc Lumpkin. As there isnt really anyone in above them (Again beside Charlie and Jim)

I am willing to bet that they could easily make a new HD Modulator for the 5000, yet THEY DONT WANT TO! Its all about copy protection and complaints from the industry. My guess would be that if your lucky they will let you upgrade your 5000 to a 6000 for $100.

I dont see the 921 being put in the picture yet, this product is still 9 months to a year away from being released.

The new Broadcom units for the 6000 are already being worked on and have been for almost a year now. This was nothing that Echostar decided to start doing yesterday.

Heck I have been researching for this for over 3 weeks now, And even your contact says I am correct.

I dont get it.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.