AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since Dish Network upgraded my Dish 5000 software to 744, I have been experiencing frequent system freezes which require a hard reset (power cycle). At first I thought I was having hardware problems and that the software update was just a coincidence. I have just returned from the Dayton Hamvention where I met two other 5000 owners who are having exactly the same problem since the update. It looks like a bug in the 744 software. I called Dish Network today (5/20) and reported the problem and they are currently saying that I have a hardware problem (but seem willing to consider that it may be 744 if the problem continues). Are any other 5000 owners out there having problems? How about 5000 owners w/744 who are NOT having problems? Would anyone else like to comment?

Looking for input,

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have not seen the problem in my system but I only fire up the 5000 to record hdtv a couple of times times a week. When was the update?

Sandy

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Not had this problem. My 5000 has been A-OK, with 744.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I only watch HDTV on my 5000 and have had no problems.

In November we will no longer be able to watch HDTV. Has Dish told anybody what they plan to do for 5000 users? I got it for HDTV. Not their other garbage.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pgnewarkboy
In November we will no longer be able to watch HDTV. Has Dish told anybody what they plan to do for 5000 users?
Please tell me where you got this information, thanks.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I am sure I read it somewhere on this board. Maybe it was in the programming section. I am not sure. Sorry I can't be more specific

·
Registered
45,616 Posts
That's what I thought the source was. The reason I asked is that this may happen, it's not a sure thing.

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
No problem here with 744 either.

Dave- Some people like to exaggerate rumors and possibilities but the real problem is when they begin to believe their own exaggerations as reality and pass it on.

When I first heard this from Scott I tried to verify it from someone I know who has always been straight with me on Dish goings on. He confirmed that this switch to 8psk is a consideration but not a definite done deal with any such target date as of the time I spoke to him on 5-6. I'm sure everything will be different if the merger goes through or if the merger is definitely off. Either way I think some real changes will be put into the game plan when a decision is reached on the merger.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought for a while I was the only one having this problem... I called Dish Network and they said that they had had no reports of this problem associated with 744. They refuse to believe that this is a hardware problem and insisted that I swap out my receiver for $85.00. I just got the new receiver yesterday and I'm waiting to find out if the problem persists. Looks like I'm out $85 either way. I hope you have better luck.

I'm surprised that more people aren't reporting this problem. Perhaps it has something to do with a "bad" download of 744 rather than 744 itself. What other variables might be involved?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Mine seems to be okay with 744. Slightly offtopic. What is a reasonable signal strength for a Dish 5000 on Sat 148? I average around 75 and wonder if I should be tweaking the dish.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rudolpht
Is there a way to force 744 if you declined the update the first time around?

Tim
Check the menus and be sure it's set to accept the updates automatically. Turn off your receiver. The update should happen within 15 or 20 minutes. I believe the power light will flash while the update is being received. Someone correct me if I'm not remembering this correctly.

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Just a thought- Make sure your caller ID is off when watching HDTV channels. If a call comes in when that is on it will lock up your receiver too. That was a feature that never worked right with the mod attached. It works fine on the 6000.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Caller ID is not an issue here as I don't have caller ID and have never had it enabled. Now for the good news -- no lockups since the new unit went in. I'm crossing my fingers.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry G
Check the menus and be sure it's set to accept the updates automatically. Turn off your receiver. The update should happen within 15 or 20 minutes. I believe the power light will flash while the update is being received.
Didn't see the flashing lights but that did it.

Thanks Jerry, as always,

Tim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.