AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
326 Posts
Dave,

If the Echostar/DirecTV merger goes through the 169Time product (if it ever does record Sat HD) will go through a change as well. Hard to say what the future hold. Maybe 169Tme will be ready by the time things change.

Where's that magic crystal ball.

-- John

· Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like the dish issue has nothing to do with the merger.

You could be right, if they no longer support the dtc100, they would have to put onto another platform. This will be looked at once the direct is done

and the OTA signal is no longer needed.

· Premium Member
1,541 Posts
There is no question about it, the HD Stream to the 5000 will be shutoff. This was confirmed in the article by the Dish Network spokeman.

I guess the big question is, "When?"

· Registered
6,092 Posts
Dave,

When they turn the signal off, I hope the 169Time product will be finished.

However many years that is from now :)

-Mr. Wigggles

· Premium Member
13,008 Posts
Ordinarily, I wouldn't do this but because it impacts us recording HDTV hobbiests so much I decided to post this response to the hardware thread here as well:

Scott et al:

I have now confirmation from my contact at E* Here is what Dan said-

Don:

The article is close to accurate. Mark Lumpkin's quoted response appears to

be correct.

We MAY move HD programming over to an 8PSK carrier format from the current

QPSK. The tuner in the Model 5000 cannot receive 8PSK but we have an

ability to provide a plug in for the Model 6000 to allow it to receive the

8PSK carrier. This is not an easy way to upgrade the Model 5000 directly.

There were some personal stuff that followed but this is aparently official as I can get from E*.

I have followed up with some suggestions and comments as follows and will let you know what is said when I receive his answer.

Here were, in part, my suggestions:

If you drop support for the 5000 with HDTV modulator then I would hope that

you will have the proposed PVR921 ready as a replacement for the 5000. I

will be a candidate for this product as soon as it is out. The Tuner I use

the 5000 with is the Panasonic TuDST50.

I know you will make a lot of people unhappy if you kill the 5000/HDTV

modulator and do not have the features of PVR921 ready for a replacement.

As an alternative, I would like to suggest that every engineering effort be

made to offer an adapter for the 5000 that includes the HDTV modulator with

the 8PSK carrier capability.

My own comments about this:

I found the biggest emphasis Dan lent to the confirmation of the article was the difference between the definite death of HDTV on the QPSK carrier that Scott has reported and the "MAY" in caps that Dan stated. I don't want to try to read between the words here as all this is breaking news before a release officially by E* anyway. It is just Scott's insider info in an article he conjered up partially confirmed by one of my acquaintences at E*

It is one more little issue we all must keep in proper perspective until it is official. In the meantime, those of us who love to record with the 5000 system will continue as usual. Much can happen between now and the day they shut off QPSK for 61.5.

· Premium Member
997 Posts
The title of this thread is a little misleading. Dish has no plans to roll out 8PSK modulation on their SD channels, for obvious reasons. The 5000 and modulator will continue to operate on SD channels, but eventually will not function on the HD channels. This means that the modulator WILL work for all SD channels that contain AC-3 audio (HBO-SD, SHO-SD, and some PPV).

Overall, it's a smart strategy on Dish's part. They have a technical reason to disable the non-copy-protected HD recording ability of the Dish 5000, while they're actually making improvements to their system which allow them to carry more HDTV channels.

My guess is we are moving to a system architecture similar to the type deployed in the Japanese broadcast satellite system. Basically almost everything broadcast can be saved to a PVR, and then archived to D-VHS, but copies of copies are often prohibited.

-Dylan

· Registered
9,224 Posts
Though I have typically denounced these "5000 is dead" threads, this one has some credibility with Don's report from his E* contact.

Look, we all know sooner or later the 5000 system will be shut off. Either by simple product obsolescense or by pressure of the studios. As long as they offer some reasonable upgrade (not free) to a 6000 I don't see any legal resource. No law says they have to provide you recording access to their signal in HDTV. The fact that 5000 owners can is a fluke anyway. Who new at the time it would be so easy with the panny combo.

Those with DVHS most likely have a decent library of content. With the R&D done by several forum members even the HiPix owners have the ability to archive recordings to tape.

So my point is that if and when it happens, well it was good while it lasted. And with the 921 coming out, we have timeshifting back. And keep in mind there will be plenty 921 hacks. It's just too tempting to us electronics hobbiests not to pull that hard drive out and lok at the file structure. Look what they did with TiVo.

And frankly If D-Thearter was around three years ago, would any of us built libraries? How many of us copy DVD's even though utilities are out there. It's just not worth the time and effort fo $15. After all we are not pirates, we just want our HDTV.

So I for one don't see any reason for hostility to Dish over the 5000. Down deep we all know some day it will end. Within the next year seems to be a good time as the 921 and D-Theater will be out .

· Registered
1,750 Posts
Yes. And if you add to that the fact that most of the HBO/Showtime HDTV movies have been old, pan and scanned, upconverted, or barely above DVD bitrate anyway, we aren't going to be missing much.

DTheater seems to be the real deal. Maybe by this time next year we will get mailings from Columbia House for 4 DTheater movies for 49 cents.:)

Joe

· Premium Member
997 Posts
I agree with Glimmie. At least Dish is making an effort to manufacture a replacement PVR with D-VHS archiving (exactly what most people want on this forum). If all goes well the PVR921 will have Tivo-like features and be easier to use than the temperamental Dish 5000/Panny combo.

I don't see the same development efforts coming out of DirecTv.

-Dylan

· Registered
9,224 Posts
I just hope if and when they do it, they do it professionally. That is to send a personal form letter to all registured 5000 owners with an HDTV programming package. They can easily extract this information from their database. They should explain why, when, and what upgrade options are available.

I think this will go a long way towards customer support and if nothing else will mean less load on CSR's with angry customers. Which by the way does cost them a certain amount of money per call.

Are you listening Charlie?

· Banned
3,772 Posts
At a minimum Dish should offer to give consumers their

money back on the HDTV modulators if they are going

to intentionally turn off their intended function.

Just imagine if you bought a car and 2 years later they

told you that new gasoline was being produced that only

works on new cars and your 2 year old car was useless.

· Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PVR
I am getting fed up with expensive HDTV equipment being made

obsolete every couple of years.
I think this is a bit of and over reaction. AFAIK all mainstream consumer HDTV equipment ever made still works and is not obsolete. DTC100 - still works, Dish 5000 - still works, even the oldest STBs (i.e. Panasonic and Mitusbishi) still work. On this forum there is alot worry and knashing of teeth about what MIGHT happen. I don't believe there has been a single official announment from any company that would result in a single mainstream consumer HDTV product becomming obsolete. It looks like the Dish 5000 MAY be the first such product to become obsolete (for an HDTV recording source). Even with that, the Dish 5000 (w/8VSB modulator) is a niche product and represents a tiny fraction of all the HDTV equipement sold in the last few years.

Jay

· Registered
149 Posts
I sent a email to Dish asking for any info on this and that I hoped they wouldnt render the 5000 modulator useless. Here is the response:

Thank you for your email. At this time there are no plans to change our HDTV format or change either the 5000 or 6000 model receivers. You may watch our Charlie Chats and Tech Forums on channel 101 for further information regarding the latest activities of Echostar and DISH Network.

Sincerely,

Melissa S.

Customer Care

DISH Network

I know, I know but I thought I should at least ask and voice my concern. I want more HD channels but I need to time shift with my crazy schedule.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.