AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DISH 5000 told me a software update was available today. I let it do it and now I can no longer tune to the HDTV channels. The 5000 power cycles immediately when I do.

Tech support hasn't sorted it out yet so I wanted to warn people. Don't accept this software update until you hear someone has used it successfully.

The old version which worked fine was 673PBTEA-N X100, the new version is 740PBTEA-N X100. Is anyone using that version today?

I just got off the phone and they are going to try replacing my modulator. That would be an amazing coincidence so I would love to hear from others that have received this update.

------------------

Steve Martin
The Widescreen Movie Center

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update. The RMA department said "Tough luck". It is out of warrantee, we don't make them any more, we can't exchange them any more, you need to see if you can find one to purchase somewhere.

I desparately need to hear from someone else that has received today's software update. I find it really hard to believe that my HD Modulator just happened to fail during the 10 minutes it was off for the upgrade.

------------------

Steve Martin

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cheezmo:
we don't make them any more,
You'd think they would update their website if they don't carry the model 5000 HDTV stuff anymore. If you go to the "product info" of their "HDTV" quick-link, you get this:
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/p...fo/index.shtml

So, if a neophyte goes to their site and is not scared away by that crazy drawing at the bottom, they will then find out that DN doesn't sell that product anymore. Great marketing, Charlie! (sarcasm)

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Steve,

Just checked my 5000. It's 740P. The HDTV modulator is working fine.

Jerry

------------------

(The original Jerry G, not the new member named Jerry_G)

·
Registered
858 Posts
WOW!!

This was a scare..... Is there any way of preventing automatic downloads of software updates from Dish on the 5000 model? Someday, in theory, they could send a worm to actually disable the Modulator from outputting 8VSB to our (wonderful) HD recorders. Just want to be prepared in that event and not feel like Cheezmo does at this moment.

Ray Newstead

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damn. I guess a coincidence is possible, but I still suspect something went wrong with the software download today. I turned it off for about 2 or 3 minutes, and maybe that wasn't long enough or something?

Anyway, I guess I'll have to track down a new modulator and see if swapping that helps.

I tried tech support a second time and after assuring me that they would make sure that I could be helped before transferring me to the return/exchange people, they transferred me to someone who gave me the same "try your local dealer" line.

I'm going to try one more time to see if they can somehow force a new attempt at the software download.

------------------

Steve Martin

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rnewste:
WOW!!

This was a scare..... Is there any way of preventing automatic downloads of software updates from Dish on the 5000 model? Someday, in theory, they could send a worm to actually disable the Modulator from outputting 8VSB to our (wonderful) HD recorders. Just want to be prepared in that event and not feel like Cheezmo does at this moment.

Ray Newstead
True, but they don't have to do that. Remember the receivers are all under controll of conditional access. They could simply shut your box down period. They know who has what because you must register the serial number when you sign up for service. Plus I'm sure their software is sophisicated enough so they can target specific modles as a group.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cheezmo:
Damn. I guess a coincidence is possible, but I still suspect something went wrong with the software download today. I turned it off for about 2 or 3 minutes, and maybe that wasn't long enough or something?

Anyway, I guess I'll have to track down a new modulator and see if swapping that helps.

I tried tech support a second time and after assuring me that they would make sure that I could be helped before transferring me to the return/exchange people, they transferred me to someone who gave me the same "try your local dealer" line.

I'm going to try one more time to see if they can somehow force a new attempt at the software download.

Isn't there a law that says they must provide replacement parts and service for 7 years after a product is discontinued? It may have been changed to five but it sure as hell is longer than one. By law, they should repair your system. And come on, you mean there is not one modulator anywhere in the whole Echostar complex sitting around. You need to esculate this up higher and make it someones annoying problem. I'll bet you could get some fast resolutiuon with a law suit threat. Now they could also hand you a 6000 free and say go away. At that point I would think you are screwed beacuse they don't officially support recording from the 5000.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rnewste:
WOW!!

Ray Newstead
If you go to System Setup and then preferences and then download software you can chose if you want it downloaded with or without your permission. Bernhard

[This message has been edited by bb1987 (edited 03-21-2001).]

·
Registered
606 Posts
Cheezmo,

I just checked my system, and I have a similar problem after the new software update (I now have 720P)

I can get regular channels, but as soon as I select a hidef channel, the display says:

"Acquiring satellite signal

Please wait or press select to continue watching your local channels"

After a few seconds the system switches to channel 100 which comes throuh OK.

Based on your comments, I don't think it's at all possible that both our HDTV modulators failed, by sheer coincidence, during the download.

I hope other users will report their experiences.

Thanks, Cheezmo, for your heads up on this issue

·
Registered
606 Posts
More info on this problem:

I just ran the diagnostic on the "Main Unit Test". It reported a VRAM failure: Please contact your local dealer.

Cheezmo; Would you try this test and report back,

Thanks

·
Registered
606 Posts
Another test:

I powere off and on and the unit passed the main unit test diagnostic this time.

However, I still get the same problem when I try to tune in a hidef channel.

Something smells with this download.

Correction: Earlier I said I hade 720P rev; I should have said 740P

·
Registered
4,836 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Yes, I did check the multiswitch and I am receiving 61.5 just fine.

Thanx for the suggestion.

At the moment, I'm on hold with Dish to complain

I'll report on my experience.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Will the 5000 accept a download if it's off?

thanks,

------------------

Vance
My HT Pics

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mine passes the main unit test.

Please call DISH (800)333-DISH and describe your problem. They need to know that there are more than one of us. When you talk to tech support ask if it can be escalated to ATR (advanced technical somethingorother). That is where I ended up. Have them reference my account because there are extensive notes there already. I'll email you my phone number so they can look it up.

------------------

Steve Martin

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Vance,

The 5000 only loads new software when it is turned off. There is an option in preferences for whether or not you want it to do it automatically. I would turn that off so that you have to give it the OK when a new update is available.

------------------

Steve Martin

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cymro,

Are you sure you have 720P and not 740P? Mine had 673P this morning and now 740P. Also, since your email is hidden, could you email me so that I can give you my phone number so you can reference the notes on my account about the problem?

------------------

Steve Martin

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cymro,

Do you know if your 5000 was off for a long time when it downloaded the update? I have mine ask and after I said it could download it, I only had it off for a couple of minutes. I wonder if there is some chance it didn't get the entire update or something?

(Sorry for the miriad of posts, I guess I'm going to get my post count to 400 tonight http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

Steve Martin

·
Registered
606 Posts
Cheezmo,

I was out of town until today, and it was off for a few days.

I sent you an e-mail so that we can hit Dish together.

They told me they would get back to me in 73=2 hours.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.