AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to start off by saying I LOVE my replayTV 4080.

I called call Dish Network (competitor of DirecTV).

They are offering free install, a free receiver, 100 channels + locals for about $30 a month and so on. Nothing new here, although cheaper then DirectTV.

Here was the thing. The free receiver is only a model 301. It is limited though with outputs. So I asked about upgrading.

They have a 508 model. It has more outputs then I can use, PLUS a 60 Gig HD PVR system. No monthly fee, no activation what so ever, just uses the dishnetwork guide.

Here is the link to the previous model.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/t...01/index.shtml

ALL FOR 200$

For 200 bucks I get a PVR system with no activation fees needed.

So has anyone used the dish PVR system. I know it doesn't't have a network adapter.

Tony

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Personally, I would go with the Dish hardware. It doesn't have nearly the functionality of a Replay, but it gets the job done. You'll also have better PQ because it doesn't have to re-encode the already compressed mpeg stream. When you couple that with more efficient use of hard drive space and less money to shell out, it's almost a no-brainer.

UNLESS ...

You really can't live without Replay's unique features such as: commercial skip, room to room streaming, DVarchive, etc.

You might also want to check out the Dish PVR 721. I believe it has a bigger hard drive and two tuners, but I could be wrong. You should be able to find all the information you need here .

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Agreed. Using 3 Replays and a Dish PVR 501, I curse the primitivity of its PVR functionality every time I use it. But you can't beat the as-good-as-live picture playback.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.