AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a current Dish subscriber. I want to add a 6000 box and 2nd dish to my setup so that I can get the HD signals.

Questons:

Are there any kind of 'deals' for current subscribers?

Could I get a deal if I commited to some package and time? I currently get the everything pack, have a DP, + locals and superstations. I dont plan to cut any of it back, so would not mind having to commit to a plan / time.

Does my installer get a kick back or any other kind of perk for selling me a 6000 box at what I'm guessing will be close to retail price? (I dont want to take money out of his pocket, but also want to get the best price I can on the unit itself.) I know there are kickbacks, for new installs, but I'm a current customer.

If I get the normal (?) national dish feeds, is there much sense in getting the local channel 8vsb tuner?

If I get the 8vsb unit, what is the likelyhood(sp) that an indoor (Silver Sensor) antenna will pick up the local stations? Yes, I know this is subjective and depends on location. If it helps, I'm about 10 to 20 miles from the local boston towers. I really can't go the route of an outdoor antenna. If the indoor antenna wont work, there would not seem to be much sense in spending the $$ on the 8vsb, right? No, an attic install really isn't an option either. I dont have an attic. Anyone in the greater boston area have a 6000 box and a silver sensor antenna? How does it work for you?

I'm guessing that I'm looking at a total bill of around $800.00 to get the hardware, and have the installer do the work? Does that sound like the right ball park? I'd love to be able to cut that down some if there was a way.

Any other info you have would be a help. I want to go the HD route, now that I have the monitor. But, pricewise, the timeing is not great so I'm trying to make sure I know all my options.

tia

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cab:
Are there any kind of 'deals' for current subscribers?
Not really. As a current customer you're not going to get any breaks. You're probably looking at around $600 for the 6000 w/8VSB + extra dish, cable, installation, etc.

Quote:
Does my installer get a kick back or any other kind of perk for selling me a 6000 box at what I'm guessing will be close to retail price? (I don't want to take money out of his pocket, but also want to get the best price I can on the unit itself.) I know there are kickbacks, for new installs, but I'm a current customer.
Dealers get their kickbacks based on new subscribers committing to programming. As a current subscriber no kickbacks to the dealer come into play.

Quote:
If I get the normal (?) national dish feeds, is there much sense in getting the local channel 8vsb tuner?
There is if you want HD, which you obviously do based on your investment in the 6000. No network HD via DISH other than CBS, and you'll have to fight with WPRI in Providence for a waiver to get CBS-HD.

Quote:
If I get the 8vsb unit, what is the likelihood(sp) that an indoor (Silver Sensor) antenna will pick up the local stations?
Using the Silver Sensor I was able to pull in a very usable signal (70-80%) on all four networks from my location, and I'm about 30 miles north of the towers. One thing to keep in mind is that the SS is highly directional. Even though all of the networks are broadcasting from the same location I found that I would have to re-position the SS for each station in order to get the best signal. You may not have the same issue being that much closer to the towers.

Quote:
I'm guessing that I'm looking at a total bill of around $800.00 to get the hardware, and have the installer do the work? Does that sound like the right ball park? I'd love to be able to cut that down some if there was a way.
You're probably pretty close. Again, if you figure $600 for 6000 w/8VSB, $50 for a second dish, $50 for misc. cables, etc. Wildcards are the actual installation, which could run you anywhere from $50 on up, and any additional switches you may need depending on the number of receivers you have. If you need an SW64 switch that's another $150 right there.

FWIW, I've found the investment in the equipment well worth it so far. With all of our local networks at least attempting to provide HD/DTV and WGBH-DT almost here the amount of HD available is growing every week. I say go for it!

Chip

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the info Chip. We think alike as to the investment. Was hoping I wouldn't have to do the waiver thing, sigh! Maybe I should start that process now? Any ideas how long it takes to do a waiver and what the process is? Hope to do the dish hardware in the next 30 to 45 days or sooner. I'm drooling, but keep looking in the wallet and saying, nope, not yet. (grin)

One other question, did I read correctly that the 6000 box will upconvert standard def tv? I've seen a HD Dish setup at costco, but they never have it tuned into an HD channel. Duh!!!! Kinda a waste of the hardware.

thanks again

[This message has been edited by cab (edited 10-06-2001).]

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last question for you folks out there. I've contacted my dealer / installer and gotten his prices for the 6000 upgrade. I am a current customer, so no real deals or kickbacks expected. His prices seeem awfully high from what I'm seeing on the internet. I'll give him a call back after hearing from any of you folks out there regarding his hardware prices. Do the below prices seem high to anyone else? I'm hoping he is willing to deal some on the hardware pricing. He did a great job on the initial install and would hate to switch to someone else.

dish 6000 box 699.00

8vsb tuner 199.00

UHF ant. (attic install) 49.00

SW-21 Kit (2nd dish and sw) 119.00

Install/labor costs (up to..) 170.00

=========

$1236.00

I dont have a problem with the install / labor costs, but the hardware itself just seems way out of kilter. I'm not even sure I need a full SW-21 Kit. I think all I need is

the 2nd dish itself. I have a dish 500 setup and SW64 feeding 3 recievers. I think I should be able to just feed the 2nd dish into the sw64? Yes? No?

Any and all feedback you can give me, would be a big help.

tia

·
Registered
25 Posts
cab,

I recently made the same upgrade. I had signed up earlier in the year for a Dish 500 plan and had another half-year to go on my commitment. Because of that, I had to add the 6000 as an additional receiver, at least until the commitment on my 301 runs out. I don't have the proper wiring in my condo to use the second, but I still have to pay the second receiver fee.

Anyways, here is what I paid in comparison:

dish 6000 box 499.00

8vsb tuner 149.00

No UHF ant. (my indoor ant. does the job)

2nd dish 300 and sw-21 99.00

Install/labor costs 89.00

=========

$836.00

Are you sure the 6000 at $699 does not include the 8vsb tuner? That seems too high.

------------------

Joey

Sony KV-36HS20

Dish 6000 w/OTA

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi JoeyB

Yup, that's what he quoted me. I just happened to stumble on a local retailer that carries all this stuff, and they quoted me 499.00 for the 6000 and 160.00 for the 8vsb. Those prices are more in line with what I've seen and thought I would get from the installer. Heck, his price for the 6000 would cover the 6000 and the 8vsb at the local store. I'm gonna call the guy back in the next day or so and see if the numbers he quoted are correct. I'd love to give him my business again, but I can't see the 200.00 difference in price on the box itself. I know the installer has to make a living, but I'd doubt that he buys the 6000 box for anywhere close to 699.00?

as a side note, the installer told me I needed to get perfect reception for UHF signals in order to get HD to work. I've seen other folks here that have had great luck with the Silver Sensor as an indoor antenna. That certainly would be my choice. The attic is in another unit and asking permission to put an antenna there, is as bad as asking the landlord if I can mount an outdoor antenna.

If anyone else has thoughts, let me know.

Thanks again for the feedback

[This message has been edited by cab (edited 10-09-2001).]

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think your dealer may be ignorant of what is in the box he quoted. I have had local guys here tell me all kinds of stories and not many are true. I think $499 is list price for the box, I got a price from Bulverde Home Theatre of $449 straight out, present subscriber price. ( www.bulverdehometheatre.com ) List on the module is $149 so I wouldn't pay more than list for anything, especially if the install fee was separate. I'm a DIY kind of guy, so I bought my stuff over the internet and installed myself, so I don't know what is reasonable in that area.

Hope it helps.

Rick

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Rick

I agree. I'm betting that the guy didn't know the real deal. I'm not too sure if he has done many HD installs.

I will absolutely give him the benifit of the doubt and call him back. If he wants my business, he needs to either come down in price, or double check to make sure he is quoting me the right info. I could see spending an extra 50 to 100 for a good quality install. He certainly did an A-1 job to setup the initial setup. Maybe he just got the numbers wrong. I hope!

·
Registered
463 Posts
You might tell your installer that the DISH Network web site lists the 6000 receiver for $499 list.
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/p...00/index.shtml

All sorts of other web sites list the 6000 receiver alone for $499 or a bit less, no contract required.

What he may be doing is quoting you the price of the 6023 SYSTEM - which includes not only the receiver, but the Dish500 dish, an extra Dish 300 dish, plus SW21 switches. The 6023 system does retail for $699. But the receiver alone should be no more than $499 - list price. Many places will discount the receiver to $450 (a 10% discount, not unusual for electronics equipment).

John C.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info John. You make a very good point. I'll update this thread after I talk with the folks at the store face to face.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
As a Dish dealer/installer I can tell you that $699 for the 6000 stand alone is a RIP-OFF! Our cost is $449 so he makes $50 right there and if this receiver is a add-on (not replacing a current receiver) he makes another $40 for activation. It does seem (as stated above) that you are being quoted for a 6023 which includes a 6000, switches, a Dish 500, and a Dish 300 dish. His cost on this is $599. If he insist on these prices go elsewhere locally and deal with them. As long as you want them to do the install most dealers will give you decent pricing. Be aware that if you have Dual LNBF's you will need either to upgrade to a TWIN LNBF or get a SW44 switch needed to cascade to a SW21 switch to conbine the Dish 500 and Dish 300 signals for the 6000. Below is what I would be charging a customer here in the NW suburbs of Chicago:

Site Survey at home to be sure you have line of site to 61.5 FREE

Dish 6000 receiver $499.00

Dish 300 dish $35.00

SW21 switch $20.00

8VSB Module $149.00

Installation $100.00 to $150.00 depending on the install.

If Needed TWIN LNBF $79.00 or SW44 Switch $95.00

------------------

------------------
My DVD/LD List My Equipment List

[This message has been edited by FrankS (edited 10-10-2001).]

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did call the installer back and left a msg. He returned my call. He says the other places are selling the items at cost or below cost and he can't afford to sell at that price. I'll stop into the store this weekend and talk to someone face to face. My installer says that at 499.99 at the local store, they are selling at cost, or below cost. My installer thinks the store assumes a 1st time customer and will make money back on the kickback.

If the store prices stay what I quoted above, I'll have to go that route. Maybe the store does think I'm a new customer? I did tell them twice I was an existing customer. I'll see what happens at the store and face to face. If the price stays at 499.00 and 160.00, I'll have to go that route.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Many, Many thanks Frank

It's great to hear from another installer (I love this board!).

My guy did do an awesome job for the initial install and it was a complicated one. He had to mount a pole outside and run some long cable lengths. When I saw what he did for the initial install, I was so glad I didn't try it myself and I'm no slouch when it comes to handyman type of stuff.

All that being said; I'm more inclined to think that he is looking at a hefty chunk of profit on this install. That's why I want to go to the store. I definately think that he has a right to make a profit, I'm just leary of how big a profit given the info I have.

I currently have a Dish 500, dual LNB, feeding a sw64, feeding 3 recievers. I'm guessing, hardware wise, I need the 6000, a 2nd dish, single LNB, and maybe, a sw21. The hardest job will be figuring out if the 2nd dish will fit / work on the existing pole and still be able to point through the trees. The 6000 will be swapped out for my 4700. I'll keep the 4700, but it will end up in the closet.

Your prices are right in line with what I expected to pay a local installer given the prices I was able to find on the internet. The bill to have my original guy do this was coming out to be almost $1300.00. That just didn't seem right to me. The original install was about $1100+ and it was definately a complicated, full day install. This 2nd dish just should not be that hard to do.

Thanks for your info. Your info and all the other feedback everyone else gave me has been very valuable. I owe you all a beer or a PPV or something.

I'll hit the local store Saturday and update then. It's looking like they may get the job / business.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Well, if you have a SW64 you do not need a SW21 and you do not need to convert from a Twin LNB to Dual LNB's. You already have Dual LNB's on your Dish 500 in order to work with the SW64 and the 3 receivers.

So, all you need outside is a 18" Dish 300 that will connect to the unused satellite 3 connections on the SW64 and use the existing wiring (as you said you are replacing a receiver and not adding any new ones).

The prices the installer gave you on the 6000 and the 8VSB are outrageous. Either he doesn't know what he is selling you or he thinks you don't know what you are buying.

You could go to Sears and pay full price for everything and pay less than you are being quoted.

My suggestion would be to buy the equipment elsewhere and either pay this guy to install the extra dish and antenna or find another installer (or even call Dish to get one of their installers) to do just the install.

Even if you pay a slight premium for the install, you will come out ahead.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Mongo / et all

Yup, thanks for the info. I did buy the dish 6000 box and the 8vsb last night at the local store.

The local store knew about my prior installer, and he knows about them. The one tidbit the store offered in possible explanation for the installers prices was; travel time. I live in Ma. and my original installer came from just over the border in NH. I guess it is possible his prices counted in some form of 'travel time'.

In any event: I got the dish 6000, 8vsb, dish 300 (18"?) dish, for just under $800.00. Install of the 2nd dish antenna and hook up to my SW64 takes place 1 week from today. Yea!!!! I'm estimating the install to cost between 100 and 200.

I had totally forgotten that the SW64 has 1 set of inputs that was not currently in use. I didn't even think about that until the folks at the store and I were discussing the ease / difficulty of the install.

I brought the 6000 and the 8vsb home last night and hooked it up. By the time the 6000 was activated, and I had done most of HDTV setup menu stuff, I only watched about 30 min. of programming. I'm going to start a new thread with '?'s of a new 6000 user (grin). I was able to get a couple ota HD stations with my Silver Sensor antenna *and* the Radio Shack powered amp. Without the amp, I got nothing for OTA HD. I'm now thinking maybe I should find some way to add a attic mounted OTA antenna when the 2nd dish install happens? The 2 HD OTA stations I did get are coming in at about 60 to 70%. I'd like to up that and possibly pull in other stations? Does anyone out there have any better ideas for indoor OTA HD (uhf) antennas? Yes, I know directionality, height, all that stuff. I futzed with the Silver Sensor enough that I know the signal I am getting, will be the best I can get with that setup. I still would really rather not ask the folks in the next unit if I can take up a bunch of space in their attic. I guess I'm still in search of the 'best' indoor HD antenna.

Many thanks to everyone out there. I can't wait to get the 2nd dish hung, and see what HD off the sat. looks like.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.