AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can these things live together peacefully? I am looking to either go this route or finish my HTPC. Can't stand the look of 480i on the big screen.

I think the 8VSB only has 1 input, that would be for the OTA antenna. Now that I think about it, if i work the Iscan into the equation somewhere after the dish reciever and before the TV I should be ok. Am I thinking right? I have never seen IScan specs, so I can only go on "in head picture"

·
Registered
36 Posts
Greetings, MN-Red...

I've got a Dish 6000/8VSB combo, along with a Dish 4000, displaying on a JVC G1000 DILA front projector. My setup has the Dish 6000 connected through the component inputs to the projector, and both the 6000 and 4000 connected to my receiver (Sony DA777ES) and then on to my DVDO iScan+. This allows me to view the 6000 HD output natively (both true HD and SD upconvert), or to selectively view the 6000 or 4000 NTSC output (as well as my other S-Video sources, including my Pioneer DV-333 DVD player) through the iScan.

I have to say the in many ways, the 6000 S-video through the iScan+ looks better than the internal upconversion in the 6000's HD mode. As others have said before, I have found that the HD upconversion from the 6000 looks soft, with somewhat muted color rendition. Part of this difference may be because the G1000 is only using a portion of its panel to display the 4:3 material from the 6000 HD mode (which is a 16:9 mode), while the input from the DVDO is displayed at the full panel resolution. I do like the geometry conversions available when in HD mode, particular the Partial Stretch mode for 4:3 material on a 16:9 display.

I have found that the iScan option gives me a huge amount of flexibility, coupled with a nearly complete set-and-forget operation, along with some of the best 3:2 pulldown available this side of $2K scalars. It's my understanding that the dTV software for your HTPC at its very best can just approach the quality of the iScan for 3:2 pulldown detection, while being far from hands-off. For me (I mess with computers at work all day long, the last thing I want to do is mess with them at home!), the iScan solution works very well.

JohnW

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.