AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, that's MODULATOR not the commen DEmodulator module to receive HD OTA.

During my conversation with Dish Advanced tech support on this 5000 CBSHD west problem (see thread in HD Programming) he offered the usual $100 max 6000 replacement. As said by many of us, that's no good, my HDTV has only RF input, no component video inputs. Of course we all know the real reason - recording.

He claims a German company makes a module that will plug into a 6000 module and essentially do what the 5000 HDTV modulator does. I grilled him to make sure he understood I do not mean an 8vsb tuner nor do I mean an NTSC channel 3/4 modulator to feed the 6000 into some old TV. He fully understood what the 5000 modulator does. I questioned legality and he rightfully reported that people can stick anything they want into those ports as long as they don't compromise conditional access. Dish however does not support this product and will not troubleshoot problems with or caused by it. Of course he had no information on the comapny.

Anyone else know anything about this?

Sounds fishy to me. What incentive does a German company have to produce an aftermarket product for an American bound product? Ain't gonna see 61.5 or 148 in Germany! I don't recall country codes available for the box to call out on! While possible, designing and building something like this would be very difficult - read impossible, without full cooperation from Dish. I sincerely doubt the electrical paramaters for that connector and the software protocol are available in PDF format off the Dish web site!

The only commen ground I see is that Europe is DVB but they don't have HDTV DBS.

Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Quote:
What incentive does a German company have to produce an aftermarket product for an American bound product?
Quite obviously it would be to make a HUGE amount of money off almost everyone who owns a 6000 here in the US who would buy one in a second if it was available!

A lot of foreign companies make products exclusively for the US so it would not be that unusual!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.