AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to make the leap for the Dish Network 6000 box. A few questions for folks out there that have them?

1) How do you like the box? Is it well made? What pro's and cons do you see? Do any of you have a Tivo controling the channel changing? (yes, I know I can't feed the hd signal through the Tivo)

2) Once the box is setup, can you just punch in a HD channel and get the hd feed? Do you have to manualy switch between HD and SD? What is the process to get a HD signal / feed once the box is setup and ready to rock and roll?

3) Connections. My monitor has only 1 component input. Does the 6000 have a VGA computer type output? If yes, do I lose anything by using the VGA vs the component cables? If the box does have both VGA and component outputs, does the signal output to both connections at once? I assume there is also a S-Video connector? My current box 4700 (4900?) box has 2 outputs. I have one running to the Tivo and then the AV receiver, and one straight into the monitor. Will I be able to duplicate this wiring setup with a 6000?

4) Is it worth it? I know I have no other choice really, but is it worth the investment? I'm guessing it will cost me about 700.00 between the box and having the installer come out and hang the other dish and other related stuff.

What other tidbits of info do you know now that you didn't know before you bought the box. In general, I'm interested in the answers to the above questions, and any other info you think might be usefull to someone walking down this path. Yes, I do have an HD monitor <G>. I recently picked up the Hitachi 36" model that was on close out at Sears. I'm getting the itch to really see what this baby can do!

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
306 Posts
From my limited experience:

1)Good box - RF as well as IR remote, seems well made but I don't really test that! The big negative is the Dish Guide - slow (though faster after I added a Dish 500 to my HD only Dish 300) and has no ability to search that I have found. I have no Tivo.

2)If you set up the full system I think you can just sign up for HBO and Showtime and you will get the HD as well as standard. You can simply watch all channels via the 6000 HD mode BUT the picture on non-HD material is very soft! I hooked up a svideo cable so I can switch TV inputs and change to SD mode - the picture is then slightly better than my ATT Digital cable.

3)Yes there is a VGA Out - I would assume the VGA is at least as high quality as the component. You have to direct output via the menu - one at a time only. There are also svideo and composite out.

4)It is a terrible investment - maybe even worse than my Nasdaq index fund for the year. Price? I bought the full system - Dish 6000, Dish 300 (round) and Dish 500 (oval) at Sears for $425.00 they price match internet prices (except for some stores with buffoons for managers - I had to drive an extra 40 minutes to find a store which had a clue). I would recommend taking the lowest 4 or five print outs (dishking is the one I had them match) and ask for the match.

good luck

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I have the everything pack, so I'm not worried about the actual HD channels. I know once I do the hardware setup, I can get the programming without buying any more than I already have.

I'm curious, do you have the OTA module? From the little knowledge I have, I dont think I will get that. I can't mount an outdoor antenna. No sense in getting the OTA module if I can't mount the antenna, right?

I actually had forgoten about Sears being a Dish retailer. I will keep that in mind when buying. I also want to do right by my installer. If he gets a cut of my hardware purchase, then I should buy through him. He did a great job on my install and I do feel a sense of loyalty.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Without the 8vsb module you will not get network HDTV broadcasts(except maybe CBS). On the other hand I've found that analog OTA connected directly to the TV is superior to DBS and in some ways to non-HDTV OTA digital fed through the tuner. In my case the Toshiba TW1 stretch mode is much better than the Dish 6000 stretch for non-HDTV 4:3 material.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You may be able to get OTA channels even without a roof mounted antenna. Others on this forum have had luck with a set top antenna called Silver Sensor (do a search of this forum). If you're in an apartment or condo, this may be your only option. If you're in a house, put a good quality antenna in the attic (that's what I did, CM 4228).

·
Registered
787 Posts
I bought my 6023 for 299 + 35 shipping. Install it yourself, it really isnt that hard. Im total numbnut and if I can do it anyone can. The main thing is getting the mast completely level. Once you do that, you can tune in the sats remarkably well. I get 105 and 86 on the 119 and 110 birds and i get a full 125 on the 61 hidef bird. Note that my dish 500 which gets 110 and 119 is mounted INSIDE. Dont beleive the hype regarding getting a signal thru glass, it works really well for me. (ymmv)

I just bought a dtv hd recvr and the only thing keeping me from switching completely to dtv is the programming cost. Im getting the america's everything for around 45 a month. It would cost me closer to 84 on the dtv plan.

For me the price of the 6023 and the 21dollar rebate each month for programming was the deciding factor. I can handle the atari ui on the dish, its actually fine. I recently bought a hughes e86 so I can add hdnet and that uis is much slicker but oh well. In a year when my 21 dollar rebate goes away, i will probably use the huges as my primary recvr and only use the 6000 for sho hd.

K

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info everyone!

kyungkim; where did you find a dish 6000 for that price and how long ago?

I have heard mention of the Silver Sensor and will have to do a search on that. Do you know who makes it and or how much? I'll do a search and hopefully turn up that info.

Thanks again folks, keep the ideas coming.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quote:
where did you find a dish 6000 for that price and how long ago?
Dishnetwork has great deals for new customers. The lowest price I've found for the Dish 6000 is at AllSat .

I am also looking into adding HD programming. You've asked some great questions.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks (blush_) <G>

I've been a dish customer now for almost 2 years. So, thats out for me. I didn't know about allsat. I'll look them up.

thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.