AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there is limited Dolby Digital available for HDTV broadcasts. However, when the Dish 6000 receives a DD signal, will it automatically output that signal? Does it output DD only on the optical out in the back?

Does anyone have general suggestions on setting up the audio outs from the Dish 6000? I have not yet had my receiver recognize digital audio coming from the Dish 6000, no matter what the program says it is being broadcast in.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have my 6000 output all sound from the digital jack. I find that it is a little cleaner than the analog outputs even while listening to conventional stereo broadcasts. I can't remember exactly but I think there was a setting in the config screens somewhere for the digital jack to output PCM/DD or DD only. It is possible that your's is set to DD only, in which case it would only output when your program was DD. Also you need to make sure your receiver is on the correct input mode. My Yamaha switches to DD automatically from PCM when it senses a DD signal, other receivers sometimes have to be manually switched. For me, I have noticed DD mostly on some Showtime HD and HBO HD broadcasts. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Ohh boy...

First and foremost the DiSH 6000 can only ouput Digital Audio via a digital audio output. This is the case for anything that has digital audio. In the case of the DiSH 6000 the digital output is the Optical connection. You will need to connect the optical cable to a receiver/processor/pramp that has a a optical digital input. Or more to the point... a Toslink digital input. The unit must be DOLBY DIGITAL. These cables can be purchased from $15-100.

Now on the DiSH 6000. Hit "Menu", "6", "1" now look at th screen and look for audio setup. You will need to select DD/pcm as the output. Once set up the 6000 will send on either DD or PCM depending on the source material.

Showtime east and West have Dolby Digital on the feed if you are a DiSH subscriber. Some movies will be 5.1 audio tracks. Newer movies and showtime produced shows have 5.1 tracks. Stargate SG-1... etc.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Most of the OTA channels also broadcast in at least 2-channel DD, and many of them in digital pro-logic.

The set up is exactly as Darian describes. My receiver displays what channels are being transmitted, so I can see in an instant if it's 5.1, 2-channel digital, or digital surround with just the two fronts and a single mono rear.

I do notice that the DD signals from Dish tend to be overly compressed, as opposed to DD audio from a DVD, but I believe that's probably coming from the source (HBO, SHO, etc.), and not Dish itself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.